276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Cat and the King

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The guitar arrived today, about half an hour after I got off work, and I have played for about an hour and a half already. My fingers are so sore it hurts to type.

It was Prince Min Yung, a right decent sort, and unswerving in his loyalty to the emperor during all the whirlwind of intrigue, who acted as interpreter. The emperor extended himself in pretty phrases. He wanted to know by what kindness of the gods his poor court had been honored by the presence of so fair a stranger. He heard, right away, that the Girl, who was a humble painter person from America, and who had enjoyed the honor of putting on canvas the sacred features of the dowager of China, could not feel that life was complete until she had done similarly by his augustness, of whose greatness and glory she had heard wondrous tales in far—away America. Prince Min Yung, in his excitement, acted for us the craven old monarch, eyes roving and palsied hands trembling in alternate gusts of hope and of despair. I will not go into all the details of that long, whispered talk we three had in the “ladies’ parlor” Bethell gave the Girl a clear picture of what the situation was at the palace; how the emperor and his imbecile crown prince were surrounded by spies and tale-bearers; what measures Hasegawa had taken to keep old Bugs practically a prisoner in his own imperial suite; who of his craven ministers had been bought by the Japanese, and who remained loyal, though in daily terror of their lives. When he raised the question of how the Girl was to gain audience with his majesty we had another glimpse of the remarkable resource of this friend of diplomats.has caved, you know, and now he says the fourteen devils of Mokpu cannot stop him from flying to-night. My friend,” she said, turning a quiet smile into my eyes as I sat by her side in the state carriage which had been sent to fetch us, “this is the biggest game I’ve ever stalked, and—and I am supremely happy.”

A very cute little mouse—Hagiwara,” was the only comment my companion made during the drive down to the South Gate and the hotel.I was sitting on the jutting balcony of the old royal library, shadowed by great Siberian firs, when I heard a voice. It was the Girl’s. I chortled exultingly as she unfolded this detail of the carefully designed plot. As a matter of fact, it had not occurred to me how we were going to bundle a fussy old emperor out of his realm, even if he did consent to skip. She did not say a word as we came panting up to where she stood, but motioned that Looie bring the lamp. She preceded us into her room and nodded to a little alcove, jutting out into the broad balcony which girdled the second story of the hotel. There her trunk stood, opened. By it was a sprawling blotch of blue—the blue of the Japanese coolie’s surtout. After that first sitting of doddering majesty, the Girl moved from the old Astor House over to the home of the American minister. She jumped at the invitation which came from the minister’s wife, who, like all of us there in Seoul, had been completely captivated by the dazzling personality of this remarkable woman, and had been avid, also, to seize the advantage which possession of this much talked-about young painter would give in the jealous circle of legation society.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment