276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Seventeen: The shocking true story of a teacher's affair with her student

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Thirty years on, this is Joe’s gripping record of the illicit relationship that dominated his adolescence and dictated the course of his life. With a heady dose of nineties nostalgia and the perfectly captured mood of those final months at school, Joe charts the enduring legacy of deceit and the indelibility of decisions made at seventeen. Meal at a friend’s house? Take a little of everything, but imagine you are a frail 19th century beauty and eat like a bird.”

I loved the short, snappy chapters. As many of these chapters ended in cliffhangers, there was a constant feeling of suspense and excitement throughout and it was a struggle to tear myself away!Vanaf de eerste pagina’s zat ik gelijk in dit verhaal. Zoals elk goed verhaal, is er een aanloop en verwacht dus niet meteen omver geblazen te worden door de ene actie na de andere. En toch, ik zag het allemaal voor mij, zelfs de personages die nog volop hun karakter en verleden moesten blootgeven, kregen toch al een gezicht. Alsof ik een boek lang een super goeie serie gebinged heb. Seventeen promises to be a thriller. The blurb clearly states that the story holds the key to an unsolved mystery that Yuuki will solve after seventeen long years. Well, I think it's not really a thriller as there wasn't much to thrill me till the end. I had to wait a lot for something substantial to happen but sadly not much happened. This book was a disappointment as it did not deliver what it promised. I was really excited to unravel some things, sadly there wasn't much to unravel. I think that calling it a thriller raises the expectation of the reader and when there isn't much happening for a long time, the reader looses interest and is more likely to give up reading the book. I think this book is more of a Japanese drama than a thriller. Seventeen bills itself as "an investigative thriller in the aftermath of an air disaster". Truly, it isn't. Seventeen ist der Nachfolger von Sixteen. Um seinen Platz musste er nicht kämpfen, denn Sixteen verschwand einfach. Jetzt hat gibt es einen neuen Auftrag in Berlin. Danach soll Seventeen im Vorbeigehen nur noch eine Kleinigkeit erledigen. Und gerade diese vermeintlich einfache Sache geht irgendwie schief. Der gnadenlose Killer Seventeen kommt ins Grübeln. Ist das immer so richtig, was er tut, selbst wenn es für die gute Sache oder die gute Seite ist? Aber er darf nicht schwach werden. Wer schwach wird mal sich selbst eine Zielscheibe auf die Brust. Noch gibt es einen nächsten Auftrag: Sixteen.

When I finished this that I suddenly realized how Yuuki did teach me few lessons about hardships and surviving while taking care of others hearts, on how to keep on being rationale and doing the right thing and avoiding such unfairness and judgement. It was a great reading journey, getting goosebumps here and there. Reading about Anzai as well as how Yuuki trying his hard to be a better father to Jun and Yuka it was all so heart-warming. The crash incident that grabbed all the time and giving restless nights to Yuuki, bringing such emotional roller coaster both to him and people around him was being told in detailed with nice prose and wordings (thanks to great translation work). I was been transported to North Kanto Times HQ, experiencing the massive work of journalists and reporters in all division, some office politic that giving me so much annoyance to few characters, a story of an avid mountain climbers, good friends and subordinates. It was all wrapping up in this novel so beautifully, very sharp, a bit harsh and bitterness but portraying a great brilliant plot as a whole. A Japan Air Lines jumbo jet crashed in a mountainous area between Gunma and Nagano prefectures on a summer evening. 520 lost lives, 4 survived. A seasoned reporter was tasked to lead the reporting team covering the accident of unprecedented scale. Flowers in your hair can create a pretty effect, but beware of overdoing. Keep your touch light or you may remind people of Ophelia [ Ed. Note : From Hamlet. Obviously. Because suicide is funny...ha...ha].”Consequently, for much of the story, he’s essentially a cast member of The Inbetweeners, beyond thrilled that he’s having actual sex with an actual grown-up woman. When she undresses in front of him, he strives for a compliment: “You’re completely naked and your skin is all olivey and milky.” He admits that “I’m pretty useless when it comes to tits”, but when, a few chapters on, he manages to refer to them as “breasts”, he self-congratulates for seeming more “grown-up”. What happens when you return from your summer holiday ten pounds heavier? Let us hope the condition is temporary. Meanwhile, you have to dress to minimize.” The plot of the book is detailed and by detailed I do mean that it is more a factual graph of the disaster and the environment than a fictional thriller; which at times I loved cause I was just soaking in the information, but there were times I wanted more than just facts for my taste – I wanted the heart pounding sensation of being in the midst of a high speed chase; except in a book!

In the midst of this endless petty bitching and squabbling is our seasoned reporter, Yukki, working at the North Kanto Times, who finds himself in charge of the coverage of the biggest air disaster the area has ever seen – and it is in their patch. Seventeen tells the story of how that coverage impacts on Yuuki, his family and everyone involved in the reporting and does so in an intimate, searching and very on point fashion. In a surreal case of life imitating art, the book about a woman’s experiences of everyday sexism caused controversy, with many of Irene’s male fans cutting up and burning posters and photocards of the idol in disgust at her “feminist leanings.” The book, which became the first million-selling Korean novel since Shin Kyung-sook’s Please Look After Mom in 2009, follows an average young woman in Korea who struggles with sexist experiences and the expectation and reality of quitting her job to become a stay-at-home wife and mother. She later struggles with mental illness, and we see her “psychic deterioration in the face of rigid misogyny.”He always escaped this way. Always telling himself he'd do something about it next time. How, next time, he'd try to have a deeper conversation. That they were father and son living under the same roof and there'd be plenty of time. Sixteen killers have done this job before me. Officially, I don't exist, but every government uses me. I'm the most feared hitman in the world. But nobody gets to do this job for long. Because to be the best, you must beat the best, and there are rivals on my tail.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment