276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Barnabus Project

£7.725£15.45Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Published in 2020 by Random House of Canada, it won the 2020 Governor General’s Literary Award for English-language children's illustration. Barnabus is such an adorable character, and I love that although he's a "failed project" he's happy with being himself and wouldn't want to change. The book is so well-executed that the reader feels saddened by the glum prospects that lay ahead for Barnabus in the lab. He is brave and kind and is the perfect character to show children it's ok to be different and to follow your dreams and not to be afraid. I loved the illustrations and the story was well written, a perfect length for a little one's story time.

The Fan brothers ( The Night Gardener) switch easily between fantasy elements (furry aliens with glowing eyes lurk in Chris’s bedroom) and documentary images. Breathtaking seascapes alternate with cozy scenes below decks as predators and prey huddle peaceably.The book follows their adventures as they dare to break free and find a place in the world, imperfections and all.

The principle of being perfect or not is a good subject for a children book, but the presentation/execution of that particular subject in this book was a failure, again in my personal opinion.This provided a great amount of discussion with the children about feelings and emotions and they shared their experiences. Bestselling author Beth Ferry and the widely acclaimed Fan Brothers present this tender and affectionate tale that reminds us of the comforting power of friendship and the joy of helping others”. I think it also works on a number of levels and could be a useful starting/developing resource for exploring differences/inclusivity and friendship among a range of other things.

This subtle, whimsical reflection on the caretaker relationship provides many openings for discussing growth and letting go. I think this would be great to use as part of a discussion with children around differences we all have and how it doesn’t matter, we should all learn to love ourselves as we are, because we are perfect.

As an adult I absolutely loved this story about imperfectness and the importance of being yourself, no matter what the world around you tells you. This never-before-seen twist on time travel adventure explores the theme of accepting those who are different--and having the courage to join them. The quest for perfection, the sad tendency of keeping strange things away from the public eye, the courage to follow your dreams regardless of what people say, the willingness to work with cooperation and team spirit, the belief in yourself and the determination to at least try… all are brought out pretty well in the story. It’s the clandestine, sinister-adjacent world of the lab – at whose heart sits the ultimate failed project: a gigantic, one-eyed, octopus-like creature elaborately encased in metal and swirling ductwork – that thrillingly stirs the imagination and emotions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment