276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Last Devil To Die: The Thursday Murder Club 4

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Bestselling author Richard Osman’s latest book, The Last Devil to Die, is out September 19, 2023—and despite rumors, won’t be the final installment in his Thursday Murder Club Mystery series. What sets Devil apart from its predecessors is the deftness and humor with which Osman confronts a subject that's completely not funny: dementia. Osman doesn’t disappoint… Everything is here that fans of the series have come to expect: humour, warmth, the confounding of expectations as these pensioners investigate… Along with the laughs, there is grief, and an ending that is handled sensitively (I was weeping)… We all need a regular injection of the Thursday Murder Club to keep our spirits up. I am glad to be able to drop-in once more on the geriatric gang to see what mess they've stumbled upon this time.

Osman follows The Thursday Murder Club, his supremely entertaining debut, with an even better second installment. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ron and Ibrahim—the Thursday Murder Club—are still riding high off their recent real-life murder case and are looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet at Cooper’s Chase, their posh retirement village.No wonder readers, myself included, have surrendered to [the Thursday Murder Club members’] abundant charms. Elizabeth, who usually spearheads the pensioners’ investigations, takes a step back in this novel to spend time with her husband, Stephen, while they grapple with his progressing dementia. The cultural conversation in both our countries centers on a very small amount of TV programs or books, which are not really the ones that people actually watch or that people turn to when they’re looking to be entertained.

Richard Osman’s first three Thursday Murder Club mysteries are among the 10 bestselling hardback novels since UK records began; I ­suspect only nuclear armageddon or an outbreak of antibiotic-resistant plague can prevent this fourth entry in the series from muscling onto the list. NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • The epic tale of a woman who breathes a fantastical empire into existence, only to be consumed by it over the centuries—from the transcendent imagination of Booker Prize–winning, internationally bestselling author Salman Rushdie . As expected, Osman continues to build up threads and relationships established in the earlier books of the series. At the end, I am glad that Osman plans to continue this series down the road, but not before he scratches another itch with a different sort of mystery. There is a line in chapter 19 that I really liked: the world of antiques and antiquities is not always squeaky clean.Bestseller Osman’s diverting third Thursday Murder Club mystery (after 2021’s The Man Who Lived Twice) delivers laughs along with a nicely woven plot. We know by now that outwitting international drug-dealers would be child’s play to the Club’s omnicompetent leader, retired spy Elizabeth, but she has more pressing concerns. Richard Osman tackles more than murder in The Last Devil to Die, his emotional latest installment of the Thursday Murder Club series. In The Last Devil to Die , Elizabeth’s beloved husband Stephen is slipping away from her with fewer and fewer good days. INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER • From the bestselling author of Station Eleven and Sea of Tranquility, an exhilarating novel set at the glittering intersection of two seemingly disparate events—the exposure of a massive crimin .

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment