276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Twins: Dead Ringers

£7.475£14.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Birch: I think we had decided early on that they were obstetricians [rather than gynecologists], which is different from the film. This was partly due to story - it meant we had access to a whole new kind of patient and central characters, but also that they, and particularly Beverly, had these huge ambitions to build a centre that will change how women birth. For Elliott, it’s much more about scientific discovery There’s less empathy or compassion – it’s purely driven by her own scientific excitement. Birch: Sean Durkin came on during pre-production. He’s an amazing collaborator. We were huge fans of his work. Neil Young's Film Lounge (August 22, 2004). "Park Life". Archived from the original on February 19, 2006 . Retrieved April 2, 2006.

Like so many other people I spoke with this summer, I found myself uncharacteristically haunted by the deaths of Stewart and Cyril Marcus, the twin gynecologists found gaunt and already partially decayed in their East 63rd Street apartment amidst a litter of garbage and pharmaceuticals. The story of their deaths had, for me, even in its barest bones, that element of stupefying reality that Philip Roth calls an “embarrassment” to the writer’s imagination; here was a reality that could make the capabilities of even the most imaginative writer seem meager.

The series, like the film, does explore body horror and it is still a deep, dark psychological thriller, but there is also a fun, often witty tone throughout. Was it intentional to make it a bit campy? urn:lcp:twinsnovel00wood:epub:424c61d3-2466-49aa-880f-52226a0d94dd Foldoutcount 0 Identifier twinsnovel00wood Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t0zp51g1f Isbn 0451159896 Irons was given two different dressing rooms with two sets of costumes for playing his two characters. However, given the fact that he said "the whole point of the story is you should sometimes be confused as to which is which", he chose to use only one of the rooms and combine different costume items intended for different characters. Irons also developed an "internal way" to portray each character, employing the Alexander technique for "different energy points", giving each character his own appearance. [14] Filming [ edit ]

BD Horror News - The Top 10 'True-Story' Horror Movies of All-time!". Bloody-disgusting.com. June 7, 2008. Archived from the original on November 15, 2019 . Retrieved February 23, 2011. Before their untimely deaths, the Marcus twins were well-respected in their field, establishing their own successful private practice in the 60s and publishing their ground-breaking research in medical journals. They would also go on to become assistant professors of obstetrics and gynecology at New York Hospital, as well as co-directors at Cornell Hospital’s Infertility Clinic. In Dead Ringers, the twins are also on the cutting edge of their field, operating their own practice and pioneering medical instruments that would become the industry standard in obstetrics. The film won numerous honors, including for Irons' performance, and 10 Genie Awards, notably Best Motion Picture. Toronto International Film Festival critics have ranked it among the Top 10 Canadian Films of All Time. Oscar-winner Weisz joined the series’ showrunner Alice Birch ( Normal People, Lady Macbeth) and actress Britne Oldford ( Skins, The Umbrella Academy) to world premiere the series at Canneseries ahead of its six-episode rollout on April 21. The series earned cheers from the audience inside Cannes’ Lumiere theatre in the Palais des Festivals during its opening scene and a standing ovation following its screening in Competition at the event. Melnyk, George (2004). One Hundred Years of Canadian Cinema. University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-3568-X.Identical twins Elliot and Beverly Mantle are gynecologists who jointly operate a highly successful clinical practice in Toronto that specializes in treating fertility problems. Elliot, the more confident and cynical of the two, seduces women who come to the Mantle Clinic. When he gets tired of them, the women are passed on to the shy and passive Beverly while the women remain unaware of the substitution. Rachel Weisz: I was a fan of the film, the original 1988 Cronenberg masterpiece, for many, many years. I was looking for stories that I could be in, stories with a female character or relationship at the centre of it, ie women in relation to other women. Sisters seemed like really interesting terrain for storytelling. And then it just came to me: ‘What if that story was retold and I played the twins and it was set now?’ I went to Sue Nagel at Annapurna and she also thought it was a good idea and she got the rights from Morgan Creek, which was a process. Then I asked Alice if she thought it was an interesting idea too.

Carr, Jay (January 9, 1989). "National Critics Choose 'Lightness' ". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on March 9, 2016 . Retrieved April 11, 2017. Nor had the kind of excitable, angry behavior which Ms. Baer describes arisen in the twins only recently. One quite medically sophisticated woman who had used Cyril as her obstetrician ten years ago reported to me that he had grown violently angry with her when she had told him that, because she was an older woman and feared she might give birth to a mentally retarded child, she wanted him to arrange with the hospital pediatrician to administer to her newborn a PKU test — a test for mental retardation now required by law and automatically given to all infants born in New York State. The test was not yet law at the time, however, and Cyril Marcus was enraged at the request. He told the woman the idea was ridiculous, that he had not even had the test for his own children, and that she was being grossly demanding. Shortly before she gave birth, the test did become standard procedure, but, if anything, this made Cyril even more angry and hostile to her. Weisz: At a certain point I said goodbye to Sean and Alice, then went to my office and shut the door to do the acting. I was a producer first, then actress. I really had my hands pretty full. There were some things that had to be dealt with, but I was really in the point of view of the twins whereas Alice was inside as a writer and outside creatively controlling the whole show. I couldn’t stand in two places then. I hadn’t seen any of the show. Then I took my acting hat off and joined hands with Alice at the end and we had a long post-production editing process together. We were together at the beginning and the end in that way and in the middle I was just Beverly and Elliot. Wood explores character in such an interesting way, diving into loss and grief with all the complexity of an underwater cave. The morally grey actions of every group in this book ask a lot of questions of the reader without a necessarily right answer. I also appreciated the amount of Jewish culture included and learned a lot!” The Tribe is a unique horror novel. It’s not a gross-out horror and it doesn’t have a continuous stream of terrors. What differentiates it from other quiet horrors is the emphasis on the Jewish way of life. Taking place in the early 1980s, memories (and survivors) of the Holocaust are very much present in the story. BEHIND THE PEN

Open Library

The twins either died from drugs, had seizures due to withdrawal, or entered into some unknowable suicide pact. Fellow doctors at the time proposed a kind of Columbo killer mystery method that involved injecting poisons into the body in places where you would never find it, like a hemorrhoid. "I will tell you something: any smart physician could dispose of himself by a mechanism which could never be discovered by anyone, including his insurance companies," one of the doctors cryptically explained. "I have no evidence, but I know the way I’d do it if I were going to... I can tell you this: you’re not gonna find out." Actress Claire Niveau comes to the clinic for her infertility where it turns out that she has a "trifurcated cervix", meaning she will probably be unable to have children. Elliot seduces Claire and then urges Beverly to sleep with her. Beverly becomes emotionally attached to Claire, upsetting the equilibrium between the twins. Beverly also begins sharing Claire's abuse of prescription drugs, which he abets through his doctor's authority. When Claire learns that Elliot has been taking sexual advantage of her by impersonating Beverly, she angrily confronts them both in a restaurant but later decides to continue a relationship with Beverly exclusively. I went first to the building in which the Marcuses had been found dead. Cyril had lived there — in apartment 10H at 1161 York Avenue — for some five years, apparently since the time he had separated from his wife and children; Stewart had moved in with him sometime in the last few months. To the doormen and building employees, the two doctors were always distant, remote, too arrogant for a “Good morning” or even a “Hot weather, isn’t it?” Eventually I left off seeing him. This was about eight years ago. I had found him/them distant, remote, incapable of or unwilling to engage in discussion or explanation. Hardly what one wants in a doctor. His/their reputations were good. They were among the few surgeons to have perfected the “purse string,” an operation that helped women who had difficulty carrying a fetus to full term. They were said, also, to be the best gynecologists in town — in those days — at inserting with a minimum of pain the then still new IUD’s — intrauterine devices. But communication with him/them was so often difficult that I finally realized that reputation was, for me, less important than responsiveness. Thus, in the operating room one day last year, one of the Marcuses pulled the anesthesia mask off a patient and placed it over his own face, longing for unconsciousness and extinction. It was for this — and other similar reasons — that so many of those who knew the Marcuses said they were not surprised by the brothers’ death, and seemed even to have anticipated it. But why hadn’t they shared their suspicions, blazoned them about town? And why had New York Hospital waited so long to initiate the twins’ dismissal, when years ago the brothers were already showing signs to patients of dangerous mood shifts and impersonality?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment