276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Nice Girls Don't Get The Corner Office: 101 unconscious mistakes women make...

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Frankel first has the reader take a 49 question quiz, which is able to determine which of the eight areas are both your strong and weak points. My strengths were in "how you think," "how you look," and "how you play the game." Honestly, parts of the "how you look" section of the book was a bit ridiculous and somewhat dated, even though this book is but 8 years old, (don't wear inappropriate makeup, dress appropriately, grooming in public, wrong hairstyle, etc.), but the DC Interns blog, cataloging all the mishaps of our annual guests, exists for a reason. All of these examples show up repeatedly in that blog, so clearly, this issue still exists. For me, the parts about "dressing the part" were the easiest--it was the more physical ways of holding yourself that I learned I needed to work on. Either the author has some pretty antiquated ideas about how women should deal with the issues they are facing professionally - basically, the onus on the ugly behavior of some men being our problem to solve - or she outright hates women. Indeed, this is also what Lean In author Sheryl Salzberg referred to when a Democrat senator patted her on the head and told her “what are you, a pon pon girl?” DON'T BE SO MODEST. Again, I think this is so ingrained in women that it's hard to take credit for a job well done. Stop saying "Oh, it was nothing." It WAS something. Learn how to say "thank you" after being given a compliment. I'm trying so hard on this one, and I think some things are actually beginning to sink in!

Acquiescing to Bullies: use “I statements” to let them know how you feel. Nobody can argue when you say “I feel like I’m not being heard” Don't always explain. Just because you know more about a subject doesn't mean you need to say it all. "Depending on your level of expertise, it may be incomplete to you, but not to the other person." This goes along with thinking that everyone knows more than you do. Around a year ago I was wandering around Amsterdam’s American Book Centre, and “ Nice Girls Don’t Get The Corner Office” by Lois P. Frankel caught my eye. As someone who’s into personal growth, the book resonated with my interest in career development, and its provocative title did the rest.

You can still be who you are and operate according to your values, while asking for what’s rightfully yours, setting better boundaries, speaking up, and learning to act like you deserve your success. Because you do. Being the Conscience: women are more likely to point out the gap between policies and real-world behavior, and that can controversial and spell troubles Did you know that, until 1934, an American woman would lose her citizenship if she married a man from another country? Or that, until 1977, a married West-German woman wasn’t allowed to sign her own work contract without her husband’s approval? In many Western countries, men and women weren’t equal before the law until well into the twentieth century. In fact, most American and European women weren’t even allowed to vote before the end of World War I. The fundamental message of moving beyond what young women are taught about being 'a nice girl' is great. There are sprouts of really strong material around improving communication learned in childhood, definitely. But the structure of the book (a giant listicle) doesn't go in depth about any one, and there are better resources for this.

Besides that, the fact that the heading of each mini chapter is always titled mistake # (and that goes on from mistake #1 - t0 mistake #300+) got my head fuming. It is direct yes, but also pretty arrogant. If you don’t ask, sure, you don’t risk hearing “no”, or someone making you feel like you are not deserving of your request, but you will also not get what you want. There is a time and place for modesty. Making things look easy or seamless when in fact they required herculean efforts isn’t a great marketing technique. Completely erase the statement “oh, it was nothing” from your vocabulary.Geloof me vrij: die corner office ga je door dit boek niet verkrijgen. Het bevat 300+ pagina’s vol open deuren en daarnaast nog wat belachelijk corporate onzin zoals ‘pas je volledige uiterlijk aan aan wat je denkt dat je werkomgeving van je verwacht’ - basically. Ik vreesde van tevoren al dat dit een véél te Amerikaans 'corporate office'-verhaaltje zou worden en las dit daarom uitzonderlijk eens in het Nederlands, in de hoop dat de vertalers de moeite hadden gedaan om ook de context te vernederlandsen, but nope. Naar mijn bescheiden mening hebben zeer weinig werkende vrouwen überhaupt iets aan dit boek, maar al zéker niet als ze geen sales managers binnen een groot Amerikaans bedrijf zijn. Freelancers, arbeiders, creatieven, onderwijzers, verpleegsters, you name it: driekwart van dit boek is nutteloos voor jullie. Yet another zelfhulpboek dat met een hoop grote woorden beweert verbazingwekkende informatie te delen die je volledige zijn zal transformeren, maar uiteindelijk een empty shell vol voorspelbaarheid blijkt te zijn. Thank u, next. Being Overly Concerned with Offending Others: if you expressed yourself without being offensive, then don’t fall for it, it’s a ploy Likeability and being perceived as “nice” is an incredibly important factor for success for both men and women, but it’s simply not sufficient. Therefore, it is crucial to balance being liked with being respected and understanding the difference between the two. If you are only concerned with being nice, your need to be liked will prevent you from taking the risks of those who are usually respected, such as voicing out contrarian opinions, or putting your foot down when being taken advantage of, for example. Contrarily, if you are only concerned with being respected and don’t care at all about being nice you risk losing the support of your network and in some cases… being perceived as a selfish inflexible jerk. And there is nothing worse than becoming a jerk when being nice is just so. darn. easy. So don’t be a jerk.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment