276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Idol: The must read, addictive and compulsive book club thriller of the summer

£9.105£18.21Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is an extreme Teen YA to me. The MCs were immature. And all the sexiness, rolling and drinking and lap dancing, did not compute in my brain atall. Fallen Idols was reviewed by Michael Burleigh, who said "there is not a dull sentence in the book, which begins with the moment American revolutionaries toppled the statue of George III in New York." [6]

Sam is a mess, there's no other way to say it. Flawed, manipulative, caught up in herself and the version of her she presents to the world, but O'Neill has created a messy character that I couldn't tear myself away from. I wonder if I was reading as wide-eyed as I felt. Daisy is a Norm which means she is on the bottom rung of society with no preternatural abilities. To make matters worse, her parents were murdered right in front of her eyes leaving her to fend for herself at a young age. She also has a little sister to take care of, and being a norm makes that extremely difficult. From King George III who was toppled around the time of the American Revolution as an act of showing Britain the middle finger (as that moment in history demanded), to Stalin whose enormous bulk came crashing down, all except for his boots, through the efforts of hundreds of thousands of charged Hungarians, to the real story behind the much televised historic tumble that Saddam took in Baghdad, this book covers histories we know and many we don't. Sands, Philippe (2 September 2021). "Monumental injustices — relics, racism and reparations". www.ft.com. Archived from the original on 11 September 2021 . Retrieved 10 September 2021. (subscription required) Should they stand or fall? The great statue debate". HistoryExtra. Archived from the original on 11 September 2021 . Retrieved 10 September 2021.They really just hurt her pride but in a way each guys heart grows like 5oo times bigger because they start to develop feelings.

It had bullying with suspense and that was the best part for me. Daisy and Her idols are perfect! Each boy has his own capabilities and has his own darkness. The one I liked the least in this book was Phoenix but from what I saw of his past, I'd say he has the most horrific experience of them all. These idols have my heart and I loved the way they protected daisy. They set out to destroy her and by the time they had achieved that, they had destroyed themselves too! This is the first of the six books on the Wolfson History Prize shortlist. I'm planning to read all of them before the winner is announced. Cecil Rhodes (1853–1902): statue at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, erected 1934, removed following Rhodes Must Fall protests, 2015 Cards on the table from the outset, I am one of those historians who saw Colston's statue getting yeeted into the sea in Bristol and immediately thought "Yes, good, History is happening". I have no time and no patience for those who say incidents of statue removal erase History, not least because the number of people I know who knew anything about Colston went from two (me and a mate from Bath) to dozens once his statue took a dunk.

Customer reviews

Why does every heroine think taunting her bullies with sexual stuff, in this case: a strip dance, is a form of defiance and strength? It’s stupid and eye twitching and cringy abit. I have a confession to make… reverse harem(RH) books are one of go to sub genres of romance when I just feel like I need a palate cleanser after bombarding my brain with so many contemporary romance books. But not all reverse harem books are worth the money or the time. I think it’s a delicate balance and also a credit to the author for writing a book without the whole storyline going OTT. So when you find a series (Cause thank God, it’s usually a series and not a standalone), you grab on to it hahaha Finally, I'll take a jab at Von Tunzelman and her critic of the Great Man theory. Although I would not go as far as saying that it is the dynamic that drives society and drove the world until today, in my view the place of exceptional individuals to make changes through their inner capabilities cannot be downplayed. Yes, those individuals, men and women, could not have done what they did without the support of the masses. But the masses could not have done what they did without the out of the ordinary individuals, or when they did, their impact was limited. A good example is the Yellow Vests movement in France in 2018, which shook French society but eventually dissolved itself as there was no leader to give it direction. And it is difficult to deny that our societies remain fascinated by the possibility of things being changed by the will of a single individual. There is something inspiring in this belief although there is also something inspiring in the belief that we can do so much as a group. Those two views are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The book contains an introduction, twelve main chapters – each focused on a historical figure who features as a created then fallen statue – and a concluding chapter. There are 13 images. For me, it basically ruined all the good parts by the way the MC deteriorated in the second half of the book. I didn't want to be part of this spiral into utter and absolute desolation and chaos, I really didn't want to be. Especially not in the head of this insanely unreliable narrator. Many parts of this were so cringey I really don't know how I made it through. This is supposed to be an adult woman losing her shit, but she reads like a thirteen year old. It wasn't fun, believe me.

Determined to speak her truth and bare all to her adoring fans, she's written an essay about her sexual awakening as a teenager, with her female best friend, Lisa. She's never told a soul but now she's telling the world. The essay goes viral. Also, while sometimes very little in the way of public approval is sought to put up a statue, there is an outcry when the statue is slated for removal. This leads into a bureaucratic labyrinth that can take years of wrangling. Hence, desecration and toppling ensue! I think I am in the minority here. I struggled with this one. I very nearly gave up on it. There was little to like about this novel, but I can see why it would appeal to some.As von Tunzelmann mentions, these sentiments are in the eye of the beholder, which can cause triggers. It's not often that I can read a story with a VERY unlikeable main character and still enjoy the story. I caught on early to the true nature of our protagonist, though I don't know if that's down to the writing, or me having spent a few years behind the curtain in YouTube event green rooms. I think it's a timely story in lots of ways, not least of which because of the public fall of a guru or two we've seen in the past couple of years, but also as we navigate this new-ish world of social media and celebrity being so... parasitic to each other?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment