276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters and mortals from ancient Greek

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

His name is in everyday use when we speak of narcissistic behaviour (self-love), but so are the names of a surprising number of other gods and goddesses. Ivankovic, Milorad. "New Insights on Slavic God Volos?/Veles? From a Vedic Perspective." Studia Mythologica Slavica 22 (2019): 55–81. Print. The epic, heroic and sometimes terrible lives of 50 gods and goddesses, mortals and monsters, are revealed in a spectacular illustrated encyclopaedia of Ancient Greece

It was one of my favourite lessons, as learnt more about each topic I was more and more fascinated about the stories, the legends, the myths that surrounded each of the gods. Unfortunately, a change in high schools when we relocated from Cumbria to Norfolk meant that I wasn’t able to continue studying ancient Greece. Something that I would have liked the option to pursue.Absolutely stunning! I can see this reproduced as posters, fabrics, and multiplied as spin-offs. As it stands now, it is a remarkable work of art and a very entertaining telling of the myths, modernised enough to appeal to today’s jaded youth, and I enjoyed this version. This encyclopaedia of gods, monsters, and mortals from Ancient Greece serves as a fantastic entry point or reference guide for those at all interested in mythology. The book highlights 50 key figures, and though the text for each character isn’t exactly exhaustive, we’re given a condensed snapshot of their role within the canon, and a few interesting facts about them. Seasoned myth enthusiasts are unlikely to learn anything new, as such, but having been written by a Classics scholar and Greek mythology expert, the information is succinct and reliable. Ralston, W.R.S. " The Songs of the Russian People, as Illustrative of Slavonic Mythology and Russian Social Life." London: Ellis & Green, 1872. Print. While the writing content itself is quite good, the reality is that children will infer more from art and look than they will the actual words. It's just like how if you give a person the word 'green' in red type and ask them to read the word they will tell you it says red. Even though inherently their brain knows the word is green; humans almost always default to the look and feel before they read words. L’âge suivant fut l’âge du bronze. Ce fut une période d’une violence exceptionnelle. Zeus a finalement détruit cet âge également, au moyen d'un déluge.

His Introduction notes that “Greek mythology is everywhere” and remains relevant in modern society. He also states that given the difficulty of the original Greek names he has provided the most familiar names in English but also included their original names alongside. The text accompanying each entry is short and informative.

Follow us

l'ensemble des divinités et aux légendes qui les concernent, adoptées par une tribu ou une nation: mythologie grecque, mythologie scandinave, etc. ;

Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters, and mortals from ancient Greece is as the title suggests, an illustrated encyclopedia of Greek mythology. Mythologica features stunningly beautiful portraits of mythological characters from the Greek Mythology I don't feel like Mythologica really knows its audience. On the one hand, it's suggested that the book is marketed for middlegrade readers. That said, I don't really imagine this age group really finding any reason to want to read this story. The text is too small and crowded to hold a child's interest and, on top of all that, the artwork is far too outlandish. Covering 50 gods, mortals and monsters it is a great resource book for when the children wish to look up a particular name. As well as providing bitesize chunks of information on each one so that they are able to take in the information rather than having to digest large paragraphs. About The Author – Stephen Kershaw I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.•

Books recommended by Rick Riordan 

The stories are explained and illustrated in marvellous detail. The Odyssey, Jason and the Argonauts – it’s all here. stars rounded up--I'd buy Mythologica for the artwork, but I'd probably turn to another source to help a tween gather information about Greek mythology. Let us know by leaving your comments in the box below or tweeting us @BookTrust using the hashtag #WhatToReadAfter.

The thrilling images and digestible text provide the perfect introduction to the lively world of Greek mythology. Prepare to be amazed as you uncover the epic, heroic and sometimes terrible lives of mortals, monsters and gods. An illustrated encyclopedia of Greek mythology like no other, Mythologica features portraits of mythological characters in eye-popping color from artist Victoria Topping and authoritative text from Classics scholar and Greek mythology expert Dr. Stephen Kershaw. Dixon-Kennedy, Mike. "Encyclopedia of Russian and Slavic Myth and Legend." Santa Barbara CA: ABC-CLIO, 1998. Print.

For epic non-fiction on gods and goddesses

Featuring full-colour artwork from the brilliantly talented Victoria Topping and written by Steve Kershaw, prepare to be amazed as you uncover the epic, heroic and sometimes terrible lives of mortals, monsters and gods. Greek mythology is everywhere I’m the end, I’m so grateful to those inspiring teachers and those magical books for letting me meet the wild and beautiful goddess Artemis and her brother Phoebus (‘Shiny’) Apollo, sail with the brave and bold Jason on his journey to capture the Golden Fleece, and wrestle with the Nemean Lion. They gave me the opportunity to read, write and teach about them, and because of them the world of Greek mythology is still very much alive, at least in my world. Orpheus, in Mythologica, illustrated by Victoria Topping Natale Conti's Mythologiae libri decem (" The Ten Books of Mythology"), first published in Venice in 1567, served as a reference book throughout Europe for more than two centuries. Students, artists, poets, opera librettists, doctors, philosophers and the literate public of sixteenth- to eighteenth-century Europe drew from them an encyclopaedic knowledge of the cults and beliefs of antiquity.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment