276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Restoration of Otto Laird

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Honestly I didn't realise that I liked this kind of book, the only similar book I've read is Elenor Oliphant is completely fine but even that felt somewhat more plotty than this. But it was just wonderful! Though audiobooks that might be termed 'literary realism' are a relatively new genre for me in terms of audiobooks, 'The restoration of Otto Laird' has convinced me that it is a genre to which I will often return. It is a little hard to judge such things, but this is certainly amongst the most moving audiobooks I have heard.

I had written another novel some years earlier, which was rejected by every agent I sent it to, so I knew that it would not be easy to find someone to represent me. I think the second half of this book was much better than the first. We really get to know Otto as the book progresses as we get little snippets into his life and where he started. These were the parts of the story that I liked the best and were what kept my interest. It was a perfect metaphor for how the decline of Marlowe House reflects Otto's life. The more I learnt about Otto, the more I felt endeared to him and actually greatly sympathised with him. Despite his flaws, he is a very likeable character and I could see some of my own Grandad in him.Increasing exchanges would provide an opportunity for younger workers to get a taste of the working culture and life in Britain without committing to settling in the UK. This would allow Britain to bring in more young workers on a temporary basis and maintain a level of diversity in its workforce. What a hidden gem! I don't think I've ever heard anyone talking about this and it ended up on my shelf pretty much by accident and here we are with a 5 star read! One of the first things to change was the title. He had originally called the book The Brutalist – in reference to the 1960s architectural style Otto used – but it was decided it sounded more like a gangster novel, and they sought a gentler title On the other hand, Otto’s particular personality, and the details of his life, appeared only as I sat down at the computer to write.” One of the categories in my 2015 reading challenge is to include - A book based entirely on its cover. I liked - the title with the word "laird" which conjures up images of Monarch of the Glen which I enjoyed on the TV; the images of London with the London Eye and St Paul's both of which I see every day travelling to work and it was very colourful. I deliberately chose an author I didn't know since then I could honestly say it was based entirely on the cover with having no preconceived ideas of what the author may have written before. When my Mum read the synopsis she said it sounded boring, boring, boring!

Note: The Visa Points Based System (PBS) is the regulation governing the issuing of visas by the UK government. Five different types of visa can be granted known as tiers for migrants coming from outside the European Economic Area. This article gives the views of the author, not the position of EUROPP – European Politics and Policy or the London School of Economics. The opening was both entertaining and cleverly done, instantly setting up the enigmatic and engaging central character. That was the moment when I finally felt able to celebrate. I knew that my book would be published, and a lifetime’s ambition fulfilled.” This ranges from being a Jew in hiding in the Second World War to receiving a scholarship to study architecture to meeting his first wife and through his whole life to present day. His regrets, his achievements, everything is explored. This measure is aimed at making the market more open for young, highly skilled workers, decreasing costs and removing barriers to companies that wish to sponsor these workers. Consider the Dutch application model for companies that want to sponsor international workers. This would also help to fill those lower-skilled positions that lose workers due to Brexit.

Search our collections

I sent the first three chapters and a synopsis of the plot to about seven or eight different agents. In the summer of 2012 he found himself with some time between jobs and wrote the first draft of his debut book. It’s hard to describe how it felt, hearing Otto brought to life by Allan Corduner,” says the 48-year-old, during an interview as part of WalesOnline's Book Week. A falling snow-flake and its connection to a memory, though it would be too revealing to say more than this.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment