276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lord Edgware Dies (Poirot)

£16.08£32.16Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I read Christie, study her actually for her inventiveness in playing a game that is central to the future of narrative. It is truly important.

Barnard, Robert (1990). A Talent to Deceive – an appreciation of Agatha Christie (Reviseded.). Fontana Books. p.196. ISBN 0-00-637474-3. I've read Lord Edgware dies more than 10years ago and I only remembered that I really liked it and I had only a feeling about what happens in the end. For much of the novel we watch the interaction between these three. The relationship between Poirot and Hastings is far better described than in the previous novel, “Peril at End House” in which the duo seemed to spend all their time carping at one another. The author Robert Barnard has noticed this too, calling the novel: In Chapter 7, Chief Inspector Japp mentions the Elizabeth Canning case which was a real kidnapping case that occurred in London in 1753. The case created a sensation at the time due to the inconsistencies in the victim's declarations and the alibis of the perpetrators. Japp mentions this case due to the peculiar fact that the suspect was seen at two places at the same time. In the novel Lady Edgware was seen at a dinner party at the same time that she was also seen visiting the victim. Similarly, in the Canning case the suspect, Mary Squires, was seen travelling at the time that Elizabeth Canning said that she had been imprisoned by her.So why the two titles? It came as a surprise to me, to learn that this novel by an English author was originally published in the USA. It was entitled “Thirteen for Dinner”, and serialised in six monthly parts, between March and August 1933, in “The American Magazine”. Just a month later, in September 1933, it was published in the UK as Lord Edgware Dies, and we know it better now under that later title. But I feel there should be a warning to Agatha Christie enthusiasts, who may believe that they have stumbled on a lesser known work by the Great Dame: they are the same novel. And interestingly, both titles do actually function as a kind of spoiler, although it is not really possible to tell until the conclusion is known. A second television adaptation of Lord Edgware Dies was created in 2000, as an episode for the series Agatha Christie's Poirot on 19 February 2000. It starred David Suchet in the role of Hercule Poirot, and was produced by Carnival Films. While remaining faithful to most of the plot of the novel, it featured a number of changes.

Mount Street Gardens, London - Poirot and Jane Wilkinson take a walk in the park, entering from the S. Audley Street entrance. I did like this new approach of bringing out mistaken "little ideas" of Poirot in to light. One feels that this brilliant detective is after all human and do make mistakes too, and not a superhuman. Kudos, Dame Christie, for crafting so many wonderful stories. I am addicted and reader to push onwards.Death by Adaptation: In the novel, Alton the butler quietly disappears when the police started digging around and almost discovered his stealing of his master's money; in the adaptation, the police intercepts him just as he is leaving the country, and he dies in the ensuing chase. Lord Edgware Dies sees Miss Lemon, Inspector Japp and Captain Hastings all coming together with Poirot. Hastings has had to leave Argentina after a bad investment has left him penniless. You bet your life I don’t! And that's just where, if you’ll excuse me saying so, you go off the rails every time. Why shouldn’t a thing be easy? What’s the harm in a thing being easy?’”

Adolf Hitlarious: In-universe — Carlotta Adams's Hitler impersonation is considered very amusing by her audience. Since that is not a choice, he should have stopped pursuing this relationship. Since he doesn't, does that mean he is indirectly involved in the murder? The Sittaford Mystery - Why Didn't They Ask Evans? - And Then There Were None - Death Comes as the End - Sparkling Cyanide - Crooked House - They Came to Baghdad - Destination Unknown - The Pale Horse - Endless Night - Passenger to Frankfurt In fact there is a lot of skilful misdirection in Lord Edgware Dies. It is well up to standard for a Poirot novel. And it also has a little welcome humour, such as this comment by one of the characters, where the author delightfully pokes fun at herself: Secondly, having committed the crime, she has to hope that Carlotta has managed to maintain the deception through to the end of the dinner party. If she does eventually get rumbled, then Jane is sunk.Poirot Facsimile Edition (Facsimile of 1933 UK first edition), February 5, 2007, Hardcover, 256 pp; ISBN 0-00-724022-8 Chief Inspector Japp too, is also on the scene, as the officer in change of the murder case – or cases, I should say – as there will be three murders in total. Do you not know, my friend, that each one of us is a dark mystery, a maze of conflicting passions and desires and aptitudes? Mais oui, c’est vrai. One makes one’s little judgments — but nine times out of ten one is wrong.” Lord Edgware Dies" presents a puzzle that challenge the little grey cells of Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's most famous and popular detective, and this film adaptation (from PBS''Poirot' series) is surprisingly faithful to the novel (down to the murderer's final thought), and much better than the CBS television movie with Peter Ustinov and Faye Dunaway. I'm reading this as part of a read "all of the Poirots" challenge, and I must admit I am thoroughly enjoying it. Some of them I have read and remember, some of them I remember from David Suchet's excellent portrayal on TV, and in some ways the best are those that I just don't know. This falls into the latter category and so was enthralling and kept me riveted all the way to the denouement.

To say the settings are so limited – various barely described locations in London – it remains an absorbing read. Much of the text consists of dialogue between the detectives and those involved in the case, and even more is between Poirot and Hastings, where Poirot explains his thoughts (or Hastings complains that he doesn’t!) We are privy to all Poirot’s mistaken theories, as he postulates first one solution, and then another. But none will suffice, as none cover all the questions Poirot has asked himself. This infuriates Japp, who merely looks for the obvious answer, and we gleefully watch the irritable conversations that ensue. This is one of my favourite Poirot novels, it's a brilliant book, this adaptation certainly does it justice. The writing is smart, the music is terrific, and it boasts some lavish production values too. There are some glorious costumes throughout. Which is a better title, in your opinion: Lord Edgware Dies or “Thirteen at Dinner”? It depends, you might say. When does Lord Edgware Die? Is it a spoiler? And what is the significance of the number thirteen, at dinner?

Tropes

My only complained is that while following the unraveling of the mystery I grew fond of some characters and felt disappointed when in the end there was no information given as to their whereabouts.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment