276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Camo Advantage Ghillie Sniper Veil 100% Cotton

£10.94£21.88Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A ghillie suit must break up the human outline, and cover all 5 body angles to prohibit an observer from noticing and distinguishing the shape of the human body. Color As you can imagine ghillie suits can be very hot and increase the risk of overheating, especially when layers of vegetation are added. One of the only thing more dangerous than passing out from overheating is passing out from overheating while literally nobody can find you! I have seen this happen before and it can be deadly. I recommend never stalking alone. Consider using something like a find my phon” app so that you can be located in case of emergency. These photos also show color, contrast/value blended well, but the texture is non-existent. (at least for the top half of my body). The lower half of my body shows how much contrast there is between my grey pants and the tan environment. Light (Reflecting, Sunlight and Shadow) Notice in the images above, you see parts of my outline. Most noticeably, the vertical line which is my left ribs, left pectoral, and the horizontal line made by my left arm. You also very easily see the “V” made by my left armpit. Even through a bush, with a camouflage shirt on, this “V” is easily noticeable. After spotting this “V”, and part of my body’s outline, it becomes easy to see that this is the top left portion of a human body.

There is a simple way to break up this shadow. Apply more vegetation to the face. You don’t need your nose, cheeks, forehead, or chin to hide. You just need your eyes to see what’s going on around you. This shadow is caused by adding vegetation. Positive & Negative Space Contrast is a difference or strong dissimilarity between two compared objects. Value is the tone of something, the darkness or lightness of color. This can be easily confused with the element of color, however, color is more so choosing the right color to match your environment, and contrast/value is understanding how being darker or lighter can draw attention to yourself. Movement is the easiest element of visual perception to grasp the concept of. Anything that moves catches your eye because movement is one of the biggest disturbances to a baseline. The human eye is strongly attracted to any movement. The sniper physically moving will attract the observer’s attention, and the sniper brushing against vegetation can cause the vegetation to move which can attract the observer’s attention. Now I took the same veil that I was wearing in the “color” photos and made a good texture example. Imagine wearing a grassy ghillie suit with the texture of a leafy bush. While they can be the exact same color, your outline and shape are broken up correctly, your contrast/value is blended correctly but if your texture is off you will look out of place. Notice how the grassy veil doesn’t really blend well with the round, splotchy texture of the bush. Now on the next photo, I dropped the grassy veil onto the ground. Look how much better that texture matches up. Rhythm and Flow The texture is the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or substance. Like color, texture has a baseline also. If an object has a surface that contrasts with its surroundings, it becomes noticeable. An Object with a smooth surface reflects light and becomes more noticeable than an object with a rough surface that casts shadows upon itself. Very smooth objects tend to become shiny and reflective. This is something to keep in mind when trying to get the right contrast and value for your environment.To prep the 550 cord, ill break this down into a few steps. First, cut about 100 pieces of 550 cord in anywhere from 12”-24” sections. When you have that massive pile of 550 cord strands, remove the 7 white strings inside, known as the “550 guts”. Fun fact about 550 cord that some people do not know; the 7 strands of white string in the guts are all rated at 50lb test. The hollow tubular shell that the guts are contained In, is rated at 200lb test. Altogether, you have 550lb test paracord. Hence the name, 550 cord. In a pinch, you could remove a few strands of the 550 guts to make much longer yet weaker cordage. Anyway, we won’t be needing the 550 guts, so either throw them away or put them aside. If you are short on time, skip the fraying and melting part of this, as you can always do it later. If you’re going to be in the woods most of the time, include a little more green. If you’re in an area where there isn’t much vegetation, include more jute and things to break up your outline more. This is basically one big manly arts and crafts project. If it works, do it. Just remember, you can always darken your suit in the field, but if you bring a suit with a dark base color, it can be difficult to lighten it.

At this time, you should be preparing your suit for use in the field. Pull on the netting to find any loose spots, add any more glue where it may be needed, add jute or 550 in places where it may be needed. The first time you break in your ghillie suit should identify weak points or problems in the suit so that you can repair it, and prevent any problems in the future. Rhythm and Flow is my favorite of the 9 elements of visual perception. Many of these elements, such as color, are simply science. Your color(s) either match the baseline or they don’t. With Rhythm and Flow, you begin to steer away from the science of camouflage and dive deep into the art of camouflage. Do you, as a ghillie, blend beautifully with the environment? Does your suit bow to the wind like a light breeze rolling over a wheat field?As I mentioned earlier in “color”, this picture (left) was originally taken to show improper use of shadow. This dark shadow, looks unnatural and is an anomaly in the baseline of the environment. This draws the observer’s eye toward this spot. The picture on the left was taken from about 12 feet away. The picture on the right was taken about 200 yards away. See how that dark shadow is such an anomaly in the baseline, that it draws your eye to it?

The easiest way of doing this part is to grab a partner and work together. You should only need a partner for about 5 minutes, so you aren’t asking them of much. Have your partner drape the netting over your shoulders, and hot glue little cross-sections onto the blouse. Rhythm and Flow are the patterned, recurring alternations of contrasting elements, movement, or variation characterized by the regular recurrence or alternation of different quantities or conditions; a pattern created by lines, forms, and colors. In these photos, I took some of the reeds and bound them tightly so that they won’t bend in the wind. Notice how all the other reeds are bowing more to the right, but mine are still perfectly vertical? This can be mitigated in two ways. One, you can break some of the reeds on your body so they become weaker and have a broken bending point. Or, the other option is that you loosen the bungee or tie-down so that the reeds can move more freely. You need to be careful though that they don’t fall, or that will create some serious movement that will surely catch the observer’s eye.Your environment has a baseline of color. The greater your color contrasts with the baseline color, the more visible you become. This is especially true when that color is not natural for that area. It can be difficult to identify an object strictly off its color, but incorrect color can attract the eye of an observer and lead him to scrutinize the object in question. This is the part that I go all out on. I spend, by far, the most amount of time of this project prepping and applying 550 cord to my ghillie suit. The 550 is a crucial part, that is what you use to tie in the vegetation that truly makes you invisible. Use enough of it, and it will act in the same way as the jute does, breaking up your outline. I was originally going to use these photos as an example of improper use of shadows, so for now, ignore the fact that my face is casting a large shadow. In this position, I was laying on my belly and am resting on my elbows. Notice how my lower body has a tan grass covering and my upper body is covered in green grass. I did this because the baseline color of this environment is about 50% tan and 50% green. I didn’t want to be a huge green spot or a huge brown spot. The two colors I chose match perfectly with the environment and the baseline. The only element of visual perception that isn’t used properly here is the element of shadow, so cover the dark spot with your finger and notice how my outline and shape is impossible to determine, and the colors match the baseline perfectly so that I do not draw attention to myself. Contrast / Value There are two ways to hide movement. One is to move behind solid objects that obstruct the observer’s view, such as moving from tree to tree, and bush to bush. Another is to fold vegetation down towards the observer. Perpendicular movements are easier to see, whereas when you fold vegetation slowly towards the observer, it will appear to be “melting” so slowly that it is much more difficult to catch. Windy days are much more forgiving to movement, as movement is part of the baseline. On a day where there is no wind, bump a bush and it will be obvious to anyone, especially a trained observer. Notice this ghillie suit is mostly tan. Tan is a good light base color. You can always darken your suit in the field, by attaching vegetation or getting your suit dirty. But if you have a dark base color like green, it’s hard to lighten that up when going through a tan field of wheat/goldenrod.

Positive Space is anything that takes up mass. This can be buildings, trees, bushes, vehicles, obstacles, etc. If possible at all, it is difficult for an observer to see through positive space. The human eye naturally moves from positive space to positive space, as the eye is attracted to these large objects. Similar to reading a book, it’s typical for an observer’s eye to move from positive space to positive space from left to right, far to near. It’s just first nature to the human while observing. The first step in making a veil is to cut a straight line on the brim across the forehead. This will prevent the Boonie from casting a dark shadow on your face while wearing the veil. Next, grab a scrap piece of netting and zip tie them onto the loops of the Boonie. (my zip ties are camo, look closely). This is probably the most difficult task you’ll face in building your own ghillie suit. This works much, much better if you can get a partner to help you.The ghillie veil is by far the most important part of the ghillie suit. While you’re observing the enemy, some of your head is the only part of your body that should have a direct line of sight to the enemy. Many experienced scout snipers will only bring their veil with them, but only after mastering the technique of stalking. Some will bring their veil and blouse, opting to leave the trousers behind. Again, this ghillie suit is just a simple base idea. Tailor this suit to you and your environment. Add more jute, add more 550, some people take burlap sandbags and shred them up, using scraps to add texture to their suit. If you’re only going to be in a hayfield or fields of goldenrod, include much more tan than green. A shape is the visual characteristic surface configuration of an object. When lines and edges come together, you will see the outline. Study the outline, and you will notice the shape, and determine what the object is.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment