276°
Posted 20 hours ago

MAD CATZ R.A.T. 8+ Gaming Mouse (USB/Black/16000dpi/11 Buttons) - MR05DCINBL000-0

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While the M.O.J.O. M1’s price doesn’t set it apart from the competition, its design does. That asymmetrical hollow-pyramid design, as Mad Catz calls it, covers both sides of the mouse and the midsection of the palm rest with triangle-shaped holes, similar to the honeycomb design of some other mice. Together, they lessen the weight of the mouse.

Basically, when just looking at the performance of the mouse, you’ll be able to keep up with just about anyone out there. It easily keeps up with our frantic gunning and running (away) in Doom: Eternal and Metro Exodus while also moving accurately in first-person games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Firewatch.

B.A.T. 6+ is the first gaming mouse to implement the Mad Catz Cyborg Engine. The Cyborg Engine is designed to have less impact on your gaming mouse while handling all of your important game settings. The software aims at combining your complex setup into an extension of the game with one integration while giving vivid lighting effects throughout the mouse chassis. The most problematic issue in my time with the Mad Catz R.A.T. Air was the frequent wireless connection issues. The mouse can be used with a wired connection, sure, but Mad Catz only included one microUSB-to-USB 2.0 cable that can either be used with the R.A.T. Air itself or the Wireless Activation Board. The board doesn't light up if it's not connected to a PC, of course. Being a true gamer, I want the best RGB mouse pad, or at least as much RGB as possible, so I left the Wireless Activation Board plugged in. Plus, the wireless aspect is one of the key features of the pricey peripheral. With the RAT DWS being exclusively wireless, it’s great for those gamers who just want a bit more freedom, even if that comes at the cost of it being powered by one AA battery. One of my colleagues who uses a palm grip, however, could comfortably reach it with her fingertip grip. But using it didn't always go smoothly. Sometimes she'd miss the thumb wheel if not looking at it directly, and other times she'd accidentally hit the left mouse button while trying to spin the unfortunately located wheel.

You can use the small hex key that comes with the mouse to unscrew and remove the mouse’s pinky-side panel. By default, the R.A.T. DWS features a thumb wing on the left side and a smooth right edge, but it comes bundled with two alternate side panels that let you add a grip-enhancing right side or pinky wing. All three have their advantages. Cosmetically, the smooth edge fits the best. The grip makes the mouse easier to hold. The pinky wing adds extra support, as well as width and weight. Where the Mad Catz M.O.J.O. M1 excels however, is performance. Not only does it have a fast response time, again thanks to the Dakota Switches, but the mouse uses the PMW 3360 optical sensor that delivers a 1000Hz polling rate, 50G acceleration, 250 IPS, and up to 12000 DPI. Sure, there are mice with higher DPI, but even 12K is more than we could ever use. The RGB is limited in the same way. There’s no software to really customize the colors or effects on the M1. All you can do is press the front side button and right mouse button at the same time to cycle through four effects: static color, off, breathing, and spectrum. Since there’s only one RGB zone emanating from inside the shell, it’s not the biggest deal. However, RGB fans would have appreciated a little more effort here.

A Bespoke App for the DWS

The R.A.T. DWS connects to your PC via Bluetooth or 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. Bluetooth uses less power, but introduces additional latency. In general, I prefer the 2.4GHz connection for gaming, as it tends to be more stable and, on occasion, more responsive. Thankfully, the R.A.T. DWS includes onboard dongle storage; there’s a spring-loaded slot on the underside of the mouse that holds it snugly in place. The shape also adds weight. At 4.80 ounces, the R.A.T. DWS is among the heaviest mice I’ve reviewed. That isn’t necessarily a problem, but it indicates that the design favors extra inputs and customization over competitive performance. This may not be your preferred esports mouse. Given there’s the ability to fiddle with the RAT DWS’ functionality when it comes to both hardware and software, it’s an ideal product for those who like to get things just right.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment