276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Midnight Mass

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I sat up late and finished this book last night. It's not a "bad book" I didn't hate it, but I had some gripes and it really didn't hold my interest. Flanagan, Mike (September 27, 2021). "The Deeply Personal Horror of 'Midnight Mass' – Guest Essay by Filmmaker Mike Flanagan". Bloody Disgusting . Retrieved October 5, 2021. Paul’s evangelical energy gives Bev renewed purpose and justification for her lifelong superiority complex, along with an excuse to act out her revulsion for anyone she deems unworthy of God’s love. She’s not fazed at all when she learns the dark supernatural reason for his strange ability to perform miracles; instead, she’s eager to bring on the apocalypse. She and the priest begin organizing their band of believers to make it happen. Henry Thomas as Ed Flynn, Riley's father who works as a fisherman and is reluctant to welcome his son home. Even though Midnight Mass does still contain plenty of overt horror elements, I think the series actually pushes Flanagan quite far outside the horror genre. If anything, I felt baited by this story, which plays within the modern horror sandbox while undercutting much of the ethos of modern horror via its embrace of Christianity as a source of hope and nourishment for lost souls facing an incomprehensible crisis. Many critics have found that to be a good thing, praising the series’ emphasis on the less sordid aspects of horror. Yet while Flanagan has every right to keep writing relentlessly hopeful stories, for horror fans like me, the effect of his optimism is frustration over feeling shunned as a non-believer — by the very genre that usually protects non-believers from feeling shunned. This story is so religious it’s almost insulting

Langley, Jonty (October 28, 2021). "Midnight Mass: The Christian horror series with a challenging message for the Church". Premier Christianity . Retrieved January 12, 2022. Mike Flanagan’s new limited series Midnight Mass, with its Biblical horror and everyday villains, will surely have people talking. “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves,” reads Bible verse Matthew 7:15, and Flanagan has conjured one of nightmares.A Rabbi who is prepared to wear a crucifix if it keeps vampires away. He was the only good guy I believed in. The internal monologues, debates, and discussions Flanagan had with himself throughout this drawn-out process all ended up going into the show. When it comes to seeing a priest in a horror story, the common audience expectation is that he is the villain. It’s a common trope in horror. Flanagan chose a different road.

Bev’s complete readiness to usher in the book of Revelations might sound over the top, but it really isn’t. As I watched Midnight Madness, I was frequently reminded of Mississippi governor Tate Reeves, who recently defended his leadership of the state with the worst pandemic death toll in the US by claiming that people who believe in the afterlife “don’t have to be so scared of things.” Even relatively mainstream Christian voices have questioned whether the pandemic is God’s judgment. Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson is a thrilling and suspenseful novel that explores the dark side of religion and faith. The story follows a group of survivors who are trying to resist a vampire invasion that is orchestrated by a fanatical priest and his followers. The novel is full of action, horror, and twists that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Wilson creates a vivid and terrifying world where vampires are not romanticized, but rather seen as ruthless predators who use religion as a tool to manipulate and enslave humans. The characters are well-developed and realistic, each with their own strengths and flaws. The novel also raises some interesting questions about morality, free will, and the nature of evil. Midnight Mass is a must-read for fans of horror and vampire fiction, as well as for anyone who enjoys a gripping and fast-paced story. Is that a beautiful, moving ending for most of the series’ viewers? Most likely. It’s just that to so many horror fans, a belief in God isn’t a comfort: It’s the ultimate false hope. For me, Midnight Mass’s conclusion feels less like a soothing balm in a moment of crisis, and more like an outright lie. Ehrlich, Brenna (April 12, 2021). "From 'Doctor Sleep' to 'Midnight Mass': Mike Flanagan and the Newton Brothers Discuss Collaborative Magic". Rolling Stone . Retrieved October 6, 2021.

Cast & Crew

Aside from the fact that the entire plague of righteous violence was over, and that the contained madness unknowingly unleashed by Pruitt had gone up in flames, signaling a symbolic break from the miraculous hope it all briefly delivered, the "head" vampire dying usually means an instant signal break from its subjects. In popular vampire lore, the lead vampire's demise frees those controlled by its blood. For Leeza though, that would mean the end of her restorative gift. The ability to walk that she was granted by the Angel's blood was now gone and she was returned to her paralyzed state. While it's a sad ending for Leeza (though maybe not as sad as Warren and Leeza losing their entire families), it's good news for the world overall, right? In this book, the hunters have their work cut out. The vampires have taken over the entire eastern hemisphere and are well into their assault on the New World. The mortal world needs a savior, and he is Father Joe, a priest with a past. He is helped by his niece an atheist lesbian martial artist, a killer nun, and Zev the cross-wearing rabbi. There is an uncomfortable subtext involving Jewish-Christian relations, what with the efficacy of the cross against vampires and the mass death of Jews who refused the pragmatic step of wearing a cross. Wilson is careful to say that the power of the cross symbol might pre-date Christianity. He also has a Jewish hero and Christian villians (One of the main vampires is a pedophile priest.), and Wilson's main villians, religion-wise, are people who break ethical rules as opposed to theological ones. If there's a theological standpoint in the novel, it's that religious divisions and intolerance are dangerous.

Pedersen, Erik (March 17, 2022). "Critics Choice Super Awards: 'Spider-Man: No Way Home', 'Squid Game' & 'WandaVision' Lead Field". Deadline . Retrieved March 18, 2022. Midnight Mass: What Muslim Representation Should Look Like". The Muslim Vibe. November 12, 2021 . Retrieved August 14, 2022.Fear, David (October 5, 2021). "The Most Terrifying Show on TV Right Now? It's 'Midnight Mass' ". Rolling Stone . Retrieved October 6, 2021.

The vampires were a boring mafia organization of jerks with human goons under their long-nailed thumbs. Oh and the humans on their team were marked by a long stupid earring. What, no weird tattoo or cool scar? Baxter, Joseph (August 17, 2020). "Mike Flanagan Netflix Series Midnight Mass Starts Production". Den of Geek . Retrieved August 18, 2020. So they sang, rejoicing, before the sunlight burned them all away, removing their blighted existences from the world. Sheriff Hassan and Ali HassanThe show's creators insisted that the series was not anti-religious or anti-Catholic. [29] A Catholic priest who reviewed the show said its depiction of how religion treats sin was accurate, but the series showed a poor understanding of how religion treats afterlife, [30] while Premier Christianity states that the show "contains some of the fairest treatments of Christian characters I’ve seen on screen" and "also has a prophetic message to the Church." [31] First, advertising dollars go up and down with the economy. We often only know a few months out what our advertising revenue will be, which makes it hard to plan ahead.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment