276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Armistice Runner (Conkers)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I thoroughly enjoyed the diary entries, as they were different from a typical soldier's view of the war and there was a lot of action described in the diary, compared to Lily's life. Bronnie is so lovely with the boys and we also felt that having a man enthusing about the books set a great example. Will she discover what happened to grandfather in the great world war and work out why he stopped running? On a visit to her grandparents' in the Lakes, and in the run up to a very important race, Lily is given a box containing some of Ernest's things. I though that this story was perfectly balanced between the challenges that Lily is facing in her own life and the insight into how her great-great-grandfather and his family suffered during the war.

You guys are such a force for good and I am a passionate supporter of Indie booksellers, so I'm so happy this worked out well (I'd love to know how many books were sold if you have it to hand - it felt like quite a lot! To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

When Lily goes to the lake district to run in the 'fell race', she visits her Grandma, who lives there and has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimers. I would recommend this book for people aged 10+; the actual read isn’t particularly hard but I think some of the subjects in the book could be upsetting for people under the age of 10. Lily's Grandma soon realises that Lily has inherited Ernest's talent for running, and so she gives Lily Ernest's diaries, Lily learns of his experiences in the trenches and his role in the Armistice and slowly their stories intertwine. Volunteers who give up their time and use their passion to make it possible for millions of children to enjoy dozens of sports every week in the UK.

I read that there was no time to lay down communication wires, the allies had been advancing so quickly on the Germans. A beautifully-written book which follows Lily as she faces one of the toughest challenges of her life, losing her beloved grandmother to Alzheimer's. These books about World War I will offer young readers a range of different perspectives on the conflict, ranging from picture books to teen novels there's something here for everyone. I really enjoyed how the book was written in a diary from Ernst and Lilly’s thoughts about the world as she was a very relatable protagonist. The genre is fiction however it is an event, especially with the mental illness, that could happen to anyone.You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice. He travels all over the UK visiting schools and working with charities, and is well loved across the book trade. The book ends with Lily winning a race as her great-great-grandfather had also done before he went off to fight/be a messenger for WW1. But whilst staying with her grandparents just before her first big race of the season, Lily discovers her great-grandfather was a runner too.

And, as we move towards the centenary of Armistice Day, I hope it will serve as a gentle reminder that we should never forget.

The World Wars have provided many an author with fodder for their fiction and there are some truly brilliant books out there as a result. Choose from Termly resources news for Teachers and Librarians or Holiday reading news for Young Readers and their families. There is no doubt that the act of writing is celebrated in this story, as is the transformational power of reading . She’s struggling to compete in her fell-running races and, worse, she’s losing her gran to Alzheimer’s.

I feel this wasn’t really too historical, though the sentimental idea of the girl reading her great-grandfather’s diary at war was good, it was just a bit all over the place. The book, then tells the reader, of her great great grandfathers experiences of the war as a runner whilst telling us about Lily’s experiences of reading the diary.Yesterday a parent came over to tell me how impressed she was by the book fair and that you did a fabulous job of selling the books to the children first. She and her grandmother have lost a connection they once shared, and it’s only with the discovery of a box containing Lily’s great-great-grandfather Ernest’s running logs that they start to bond once more. You guys were so fab and Dawn was such a lovely presence in the schools - I will absolutely be in touch next time I'm in your neck of the woods. This is one of the joys of book awards - they make me try books that I wouldn't always read, and so often they turn out to be books I'd have hated to miss.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment