276°
Posted 20 hours ago

M. Graham Intermediate 10-Color Watercolor Paint Set, 1/2-Ounce Tube

£23.025£46.05Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have tried several brands of watercolors for my sketches and watercolor painting, but I have not tried M. Graham yet. However I have heard some of painter friends recommending and talking about their experience with M. Graham. And if you are also new to M. Graham like me, and do not wish to spend a fortune buying too many paints and then regretting later, the basic 5-color set is highly recommended. This is exactly the same reason I bought the basic set to test before I commit myself to getting the rest of the colors. Even if you are new to watercolor but want a fairly good watercolor paints to start with, M Graham might be the brand you may want to try out, as it has a long standing reputation of producing high quality artist paints. The choice of brand seems to be quite a personal choice. I prefer Daniel Smith. They produce beautiful vibrant colors, lay down smoothly and re-wet easily in my palette. You can read more about what I consider good watercolor brands here… Like WN, DS does offer 5 ml sizes for sampling, but smaller sizes are nearly impossible to find over the counter. DS offers various dot cards for testing, but again, they are nearly impossible to find in stores. Most art stores do carry DS full-sized tubes, so if you don’t mind shelling out a moderate sum for a color you know you’ll use, these watercolors are worth every penny. The color index name is established and published by the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists and The Society of Dyers and Colourists. The color index name is a generic category and does not refer to a specific pigment. While it enables the artist to form a general idea of opacity, transparency and lightfastness, for a pigment in a certain color space, it does not provide definitive information. Many grades of pigment are available from a number of manufactures with a very wide range of physical attributes.

The South set of 5 contains: Viridian, Dioxazine Purple, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre and Neutral Tint. Place rags in a sealed water-filled metal container, taking care to assure to completely wet rags with water.Third Row: Ultramarine Pink, Quinacridone Violet, Dioxazine Purple, Burn Umber, and…room for two more!

Winsor & Newtonwatercolors (or watercoloursfor the diehard WN fan)have been in production since 1835 and currently offer 96 colors. Through the years, WN has consistently produced an excellent product which has resulted in the brand often being described by artists as "The Standard." Because of WN's longstanding popularity, this brand is very convenient to find; even general craft stores often carry them.Though WN is typically the most expensive of the three, in addition to their 14 ml sizes, WN offers many of their colors in an economical 37 ml size. Prussian Blue: PB27 (Transparent – multiple pigments). This pigment mixes easily with others and I find it great for shading and cool shadows. It produces wonderfully saturated darks. I love this low-key color and I often use it on its own. Desert Southwest set of 5 contains: Quinacridone Rust, Yellow Ochre, Indian Yellow, Mineral Violet and Turquoise. Why I Use M. Graham Watercolors By Mike Bailey AWS and NWS member Mike Bailey @me_bailey_art shares why M. Graham paints permanently reside in his palette in the latest M. Graham blog.

Total Pageviews

Adding Azo Yellow to Sap Green in varying amount lightens and brightens the green if you are painting light on trees and grasses. Adding Ultramarine cools off the green and deepens the hue, relatively great for shadows of trees. Alizarin Crimson greys out the green adding more variety to the hue. You may also add mixed orange , violet and even Burnt Sienna to get a broader range of hues and a spectrum of warm and cool greens for your painting. You will also see that from my test, it is easier to add Sap Green to mixed Orange than it is vice versa. WN also offers plenty of their colors in 5 ml sizes, and though you'll pay dearly per ml for these tiny tubes, purchasing a few can help you test colors without a serious investment. I have a few things to say about why M. Graham watercolor paints take up permanent residency in my painting palette. Don’t worry… The paint will slowly dry out, and can easily be re-wetted without any loss of handling quality. Certain watercolors are more transparent than others. Of course, all watercolors can be made transparent by diluting them with water, but certain pigments hide the underlying paper (or previous wash of color) more than others. Look at the transparency rating when comparing watercolors – Paints are usually categorized as “transparent”, “semi-transparent”, or “opaque”. Lightfastness

Tubes give you the best of both worlds and in my opinion work out cheaper in the long run. You can either work with fresh paint squeezed from the tubes, or if you want the convenience of a palette of colored pans, you can simply fill up some empty pans with paint from the tube! And on top of that, one 15ml paint tube will fill up your pans more than once!In terms of color, I find that the yellow is slightly too intense and bright. It works better when it is diluted with more water. A. Crimson and Ultramarine are both very intense and bright. Their brilliancy retain even when they are very diluted with a lot of water. Ok… Now imagine you’re looking at a manufacturer’s paint chart. What exactly should you be looking for ? The problem is that I have a very strong bias towards portability in watercolours - it's one of the strengths of the medium - so paints that are difficult to travel with are less interesting to me. MG and Sennelier both make gorgeous watercolours - highly pigmented and lovely and rich - but I wouldn't choose to use them myself simply because they don't 'set' in a palette. Maybe if they were heated a little...? One artist who uses them very happily for plein air just puts a tiny dot of paint in each pigment well and keeps his palette flat so it can't make a mess. Larger quantities of paint staying moist in a palette in humid Sydney are a recipe for mould. Because MG adds honey to the base, these paints stay semi-moist to moist in the palette and are easy to rewet. They also shrink very little while drying, and this characteristic keeps them tight inside my pans. However, I do have to take care with these paints and don't recommend them for travel.Too many times, I've found MG paints in unfortunate places. The other aspect is how true the colors are. I depend largely on the color wheel for understanding color harmony. The colors I use conform perfectly to the hues on the color wheel by Stephen Quiller that I use. Knowing this, and being a steadfast fan of mixing tones and grays, I gain maximum liveliness of my color mixes with M. Graham’s paint. Mixing the tones on the paper, instead of my palette, offers up some of the most enticing and lively color variations that any artist could ask for.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment