276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Murders at Fleat House: A compelling mystery from the author of the million-copy bestselling The Seven Sisters series

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So yes, this section isn’t really about something I didn’t like in the book, but rather more about what I did like. With likeable, complex characters and a fast-paced plot, this is a cleverly woven mystery to savour * Sunday Express * A cross between a police procedural and a murder mystery but not quite a Cozy, the likable characters out number the unappealing ones. No overt details or descriptions either. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a maze type book without much bloodshed and the parameters fit perfectly here.

The Murders at Fleat House - Pan Macmillan AU The Murders at Fleat House - Pan Macmillan AU

Jazz is a person who notices the human detail, tending to follow her instincts and take her time, learning the stories of those involved and exhausting every avenue of inquiry before arriving at a conclusion. These skills certainly serve her well in The Murders at Fleat House and make for an interesting story. As you might expect, hidden secrets from the past strongly influence present-day events, and we are treated to some typically superb characterisation in the form of DI Jazz Hunter, who I’m sure you’ll agree has the potential to anchor a series of her own. Though she brought up her four children mostly in Norfolk in England, in 2015 Lucinda fulfilled her dream of buying a remote farmhouse in West Cork, Ireland, which she always felt was her spiritual home, and indeed this was where her last five books were written. Lucinda was diagnosed with cancer in 2017 and died in June 2021. DI Jazz Hunter has quit the Metropolitan Police after the break-up of her marriage to a fellow detective, and moved to the Norfolk countryside to renovate an old cottage and contemplate her future. When her former boss requests that she investigate the sudden death of a pupil at a posh local boarding school, she relishes the opportunity to take the lead without her annoying ex undermining her. Charlie Cavendish, a notorious bully, appears to be the victim of a tablet substitution, but was it accidental or intentional? Then a member of staff is found dead, and one of Charlie’s victims disappears. The more Jazz learns, the more complicated the case becomes, when everyone she interviews has a secret - and one of them is a killer…

Books Multibuys

I am so glad The Murders at Fleat House was published posthumously . It's one of my favourite reads and I will certainly be buying a hard copy to sit beside Lucinda Riley's other books on my shelves. Interestingly enough, Lucinda never did any rewrites of The Murders At Fleat House, written in 2006. She didn’t have a chance to.

The Murders at Fleat House By Lucinda Riley |The Works

De esta autora, tristemente fallecida en el 2021, sólo había leído “La luz tras la ventana”. Me gustó, aunque no me cautivó. La serie de las siete hermanas no me atraía lo más mínimo, pero resulta que LR había escrito un policial, allá por el año 2006, que, por lo que sea no se atrevió a publicar. Ahora su hijo lo rescata y lo da a conocer a sus seguidores. Y me alegro. La autora nos plantea el supuesto asesinato de un alumno en un prestigioso colegio donde los sospechosos son pocos pero todo señala a uno. Acabas sospechando de casi todos y eso siempre es divertido. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to read in exchange for an honest review. I guessed most of the twists (including the murder), but I like books where my guesses are correct, so that’s a bonus. It means the plot is logical (or as much as it can be). ;)

More in Books

Stephen Riley added: ‘Given the delay to the publication of Book 8 of The Seven Sisters series, Atlas: The Story of Pa Salt, currently being completed by Lucinda’s son Harry Whittaker, her family hope to delight readers around the globe with this announcement. Written after her youngest children had started school in 2004, The Murders at Fleat House is the only crime novel Lucinda ever penned. The Norfolk boarding school and landscape featured were heavily inspired by Lucinda’s own life at that time, and she was incredibly proud of the project. We are excited to be able to bring forward the planned publication of the novel as her readers eagerly anticipate the epic conclusion to The Seven Sisters series.’

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment