276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lighter: Let Go of the Past, Connect with the Present, and Expand The Future

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There is one part that felt needlessly added and didn’t fit with the character of Vince, although Vince had his problems I can’t believe he made a little girl watch as he set fire to her dogs kennel, killing the poor dog and obviously traumatising the girl. This seemed needlessly gratuitous and out of character. This book gives the history of Zippo, dating, companies, military, sports, boxes. It is what is says: field guide, one to keep with you at all times. A must for every Zippo collector. Lighter is the story of one man and of all of us as we seek to be­coming lighter, to walk through our lives freely, unencumbered by the weight of the past or the future. It is as inspirational as it is a practical guide.” —Mark Hyman, MD, New York Times bestselling author of The Pegan Diet

In December 1900, the three keepers of the lighthouse on Eilean Mòr, one of the Flannan Isles in the Outer Hebrides, disappeared without a trace. The lighthouse itself was found to be clean and in good shape, with no indication of any struggle or unusual occurrence. The only detail suggesting a hurried abandonment of the lighthouse, was the discovery of one set of oilskins, suggesting that one of the men – unlike the others – had left the lighthouse without them. During the years when I had abandoned myself, my mind felt undeniably heavy. I knew I needed to find a clear way to help me feel lighter.” Towards the end, the novel presents us with different possible solutions to the mystery, including the one which, it seems, we should take at face value since it is recounted by an omniscient, third-person narrator. Even then, however, an element of doubt remains: “We’re not sure of the truth, are we? Isn’t that the point? Some mysteries just aren’t meant to be known…” There was something I really enjoyed in this book, however. For a debut novel, it was oozing with atmosphere and relevant details of life as a lighthouse keeper.

Auction details

Sharks are] cool torpedoes of blubber, sliced at the gills, equipped with teeth. Fat and teeth, that’s the thing. Needles in a bowl of curd.’ BUT-if you are intrigued by this real bit of history and would like to read this author’s idea of what might have occurred-this story is fascinating, though a bit DRY in its story telling style. This is a Japanese companyset up in 1949, possibly American influenced. The catalogue has many recognizable lighters - copies of others makers. In 1900 three lighthouse keepers disappeared from the Eilean Mor lighthouse in the Outer Hebrides. They were never found and there has been no explanation for their vanishing. In a well constructed novel, Emma Stonex reimagines this event by transposing the time to 1972 and the location to the rugged coast of Cornwall.The result is a multi layered novel that fuses atmosphere and mystery with personal and societal psychology. Called “the small Bisconcini”. A lovely handbook with an extract from the original book Lighters Accendini.

yung pueblo teaches how to heal with compassion as the driving force. Lighter is an empathetic and wise book that will guide you on a journey toward a deeper understanding of self and help you make impactful changes within and in the world. yung pueblo created a core curriculum on how to heal despite your experi­ences with suffering.” —Nedra Glover Tawwab, LCSW, New York Times bestselling author of Set Boundaries, Find Peace In 1992 a writer, Dan Sharp, approaches the wives of Arthur and Bill, and Vince’s girlfriend at the time. He writes adventure stories based on the sea but now he wants to write about the disappearances from the Maiden. yung pueblo's path to deep healing began only after years of drug abuse had taken a toll on his body and soul. Searching for a way forward, he discovered that by facing his anxieties and fears, trusting his intuition and focusing on meditation he felt mentally lighter and finally at home in his heart and mind. Inspired by a haunting true story, a gorgeous and atmospheric novel about the mysterious disappearance of three lighthouse keepers from a remote tower miles from the Cornish coast--and about the wives who were left behind.I like the idea of that shell being returned to the sea. All that travelling over millions of years, all that effort, rolling in the grind of the prehistoric wash, only to be spat up on a distant shore…’ A magnificent book about the development of fire steels. First quality illustrations and information. This is THE book on the topic. As a result of years of research and study this book provides an extensive overview of the history and role of petrol lighters within the overall Alfred Dunhill product line, details of the production and commercial strategy used by the company and a comprehensive photographic catalogue of Dunhill petrol lighters. An unusual scientific book about fire-making methods. It was written and published in the German Democratic Republic. German reading skills required. It was the typical “there was something nasty in the woodshed” moment and rather than making the story or characters more intriguing, it just made me guess several of the twists early on.

In this manual you will find tips for collecting Zippos, design and production process, French military and US Navy models and much more. Great extension of the Zippo manual series. A great book about striker lighters showing a magnificent collection. High quality photographs of strike lighters in gold, silver and enamel. A treat for the eyes. I liked that the timeline jumped between when the men went missing and 20 years into the future, with the lasting effect it had left. I also loved the chapters where their wives were speaking to the author, I’ve never read anything quite like that before. My only complaint was that I struggled in general with the writing style. I was unwell when I read this book so it’s possible that this affected my reading. But, I couldn’t get fully immersed in the book because the writing style didn’t suit me personally. That being said, I really enjoyed the ending and felt very moved, this definitely boosted my feelings on the book a little! I mean, honestly! I’m sure you’d prefer that, but I’m afraid it’s all ridiculous. We’re not in your world now, we’re in mine; and this isn’t a thriller, it’s my life.” I’ve been following yung pueblo on social media for a little while now, and I love his little sayings. When I saw this book had come out, I was excited to read it as I thought I’d get more of that.I felt the supernatural elements of the story didn’t fit as well as they could. One main event Sid coming to repair the boiler was left totally unexplained, why the high voice? I thought Sid was going to turn out to be Jenny in disguise, I was left wondering if Sid was meant to be the men’s conscience? Your immediate reaction does not tell you who you are. It is how you decide to respond after the reaction that gives you real insight into how much you have grown. Your first reaction is your past. Your intentional response is your present.” Published by Dunhill Ltd for the 100 year anniversary of the company. A detailed review of Dunhill’s history as one of the earliest luxury brands in the world. The book contains several great pictures of Dunhill lighters from the Dunhill Museum. Half of the content is about lighter advertisements. The rest contains of photos and information of a large variety of collectible lighters mostly from the USA and Japan.

The Bengali Swiss automatic lighter (1929 - 1939) was to lighters what Bentley was to cars in the 1930s: intelligent engineering, outstanding quality of materials, meticulous assembly and brilliant design. The highly confidential production run of around 5,000 units lasted 10 years and was halted by the outbreak of the Second World War. The Bengali lighter, a first cousin of the Thorens lighter, has become an iconic object, thanks to its rarity, purity and craftsmanship. Collectors the world over aspire to own one. This highly detailed and refined book, which is available in a signed and limited numbered edition, will tell you all about the eventful Bengali history, its creators and the Swiss workshop where it was born.The first of G ü nter W. Broesan’s books includes exactly 1000 lighters and very accurate information focusing to German lighters. This was much more engaging, and this must be down to the narrator. She did the accents superbly and the personalities shone through.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment