276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Last Devil To Die: The Thursday Murder Club 4

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A new mystery is afoot in the fourth book in the Thursday Murder Club series from million-copy bestselling author Richard Osman.

In this “timeless and original” sci-fi thriller (New York Times), a hardboiled baseball scout must solve the murder of his brother in a world transformed by body modification, perfect for readers of William Gibson and Max Barry. Kuldesh doesn’t have the box with him but he’s sure he can explain that away. He hopes to be “ on his way before the snow turns to ice .” Sadly, that’s not to be. In The Last Devil to Die , Elizabeth’s beloved husband Stephen is slipping away from her with fewer and fewer good days. To say more would be to slip into spoiler territory. Suffice it to say, Elizabeth is not herself so Joyce steps up to take the lead in the new investigation. Granted, that means less time for Joyce to spoil male residents with cake and conversation. Retired nurse Joyce always has an eye for a handsome male, like Mervyn, a newcomer to Coopers Chase. Ibrahim isn’t sure about Mervyn although he’s horrified that he’s being scammed by an online professional posing as a lonely-hearted lady. The latest adventure of the Thursday Murder Club is also its best…Even if the mysteries weren’t absorbing — which they are —Osman’s books, likeAlexander McCall Smith’s, would work simply because it’s such fun to spend time with these people.What setsDevilapart from its predecessors is the deftness and humor with whichOsmanconfronts a subject that’s completely not funny: dementia…In the end, the murder club books are not really about crime but about friendship and finding ways to stay involved in life.” It is Christmas time and the gang are all celebrating in their own ways. Here’s to no murders next year…. Well that is. It going to happen is it? They soon discover that an old friend got himself caught up in a dangerous situation and has been murdered. And the parcel he was guarding is missing…and many many people are looking for it. Enter the Thursday Murder Club.My only sadness is that, like Agatha Christie, Richard Osmon has chosen his protagonists as retired. Ms Christie regretted that choice as it limited the number of books she could write. I can only hope that the Thursday murder club will look after themselves.

It’s impossible to single out any one feature that makes The Man Who Died Twice such an absolute treat... Richard Osman creates real magic with his characters. They are frequently laugh-out-loud hilarious but also entirely real and three-dimensional...If possible, this sequel is even better than the Osman’s charmer of a debut, The Thursday Murder Club. This series is both a load of fun and an ode to how the power of friendship is important throughout one’s life but especially during the final stretch. Don’t miss it.” Incredibly clever, with some deeply poignant scenes and laugh-out-loud shenanigans from the elderly friends, this fourth entry in the series is chaotically fun…Osmanweaves numerous plot lines, both tragic and hilarious, into an irresistible novel, perfect for fans of Mrs. Pollifax or Miss Marple.”Osman follows The Thursday Murder Club, his supremely entertaining debut, with an even better second installment. . . A clever, funny mystery peopled with captivating characters that enhance the story at every quirky turn.” We know by now that outwitting international drug-dealers would be child’s play to the Club’s omnicompetent leader, retired spy Elizabeth, but she has more pressing concerns. In previous books, her husband Stephen had been able to play some part in the adventures despite being in the early stages of dementia, but he has now reached the stage of being only intermittently able to ­recognise her. This storyline marks the series’s transition from quietly poignant to deeply moving, with Osman giving us some of his best writing yet as Elizabeth’s ­situation prompts the other Club members to reflect on their own griefs and lost loves, with one ­character disclosing some sad secrets. There may be other aged detectives in print and on television, but for wit, intelligence and humanity, the Thursday Murder Club outranks them all.”

Real threats and real consequences, and a real understanding that while the motivations of thieves and murderers may be complex, the real villain of the piece is unstoppable illness and hard choices for those who may be left behind. The mysteries are complex, the characters vivid, and the whole thing is laced with warm humor and—remarkably, considering the body count—good feeling. Your next must-read mystery series.” The story romps along with glee, plenty of murders, and a suspension of disbelief, which is a delight. but as with all good writing, it is the characters who bring you on the journey. While author Richard Osman will be moving on to write a second series, he assured me (and the many other readers who are similarly invested) that he’ll return to the funny, sweet stories of my favorite retirement home sleuths. The Last Devil to Die is a beautiful send-off that will get us through the wait.”While author Richard Osman will be moving on to write a second series, he assured me (and the many other readers who are similarly invested) that he’ll return to the funny, sweet stories of my favorite retirement home sleuths. The Last Devil to Die is a beautiful send-off that will get us through the wait." This is the latest caper book featuring the Thursday Murder Club of Cooper's Close. (book 4 or 5 in the setries) With this novel, there is an aching poignancy about it. Particularly as we lose a beloved character. This is written beautifully, movingly and with dignity, I did shed a tear myself and would defy you not to do the same.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment