276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (Wordsworth Classics)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

My father, who had received a maim on his limbs that disabled him from following the more laborious branches of country-drudgery, got, by making of nets, a scanty subsistance, which was not much enlarg'd by my mother's keeping a little day-school for the girls in her neighbourhood. They had had several children, ​but none lived to any age, except myself, who had received from nature a constitution perfectly healthy. Her sturdy stallion had now unbutton'd, and produced naked, stiff, and erect, that wonderful machine, which I had never seen before, and which, for the interest my own seat of pleasure began to take furiously in it, I star'd at with all the eyes I had: however my senses were too much flurried, too much concenter'd in that now burning spot of mine, to observe any thing more than in general the make and turn of that instrument, from which the instinct of nature, yet more than all I had heard of it, now strongly informed me I was to expect that supreme pleasure which she had placed in the meeting of those parts so admirably fitted for each other. Sachidananda, Mohanty (2004). "Female Identity and Conduct Book Tradition in Orissa: The Virtuous Woman in the Ideal Home". Economic and Political Weekly. 39: 333–336.

Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure/Letter the First Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure/Letter the First

We soon got to the house appointed for me, which was that of a plain tradesman, who, on the score of interest, was entirely at Mr. H⸻'s devotion, and who let him the first floor very genteelly furnish'd, for two guineas a week, of which I was instated mistress, with a maid to attend me.

Navigation menu

Bates, Stephen (1 March 2010). "Father Hill and Fanny Hill: An Activist Group' s Crusade to Remake Obscenity Law". UNC / First Amendment Law Review. 8 (2): 59. Presently, assuming more courage, and seeking some diversion from my uneasy thoughts, I ventured to lift up my head a little, and sent my eyes on a course round the room, wherein they met full tilt with those of a lady (for such my extreme innocence pronounc'd her) sitting in a corner of the room, dress'd in a velvet mantle ( nota bene, in the midst of summer), with her bonnet off; squob-fat, red-faced, and at least fifty.

Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (Abridged) Cleland, Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (Abridged)

In the mean time I lay fairly exposed to the examination of his eyes, and hands, quiet and unresisting, which confirm'd him in the opinion he proceeded so cavalierly upon, that I was no novice in these matters, since he had taken me out of a common bawdy-house: nor had I said one thing to prepossess him of my virginity; and if I had, he would sooner have believ'd that I took him for a cully that would swallow such an improbability, than that I was still mistress of that darling treasure, that hidden mine, so eagerly sought after by the men, and which they never dig for but they destroy. Presently, when they had exchanged a few kisses, and questions in broken English on one side, he began to unbutton, and, in fine, stript to his shirt. Whilst they were in the heat of the action, guided by nature only, I stole my hand up my petty-coat, and with fingers all on fire, seized, and yet more inflamed that center of all my senses: my heart palpitated, as if it would force its way through my bosom; I breath'd with pain: I twisted my thighs, squeezed, and compress'd the lips of that ​virgin-slit, and following mechanically the example of Phœbe 's manual operation on it, as far as I could find admission, brought on at last the critical extasy, the melting flow, into which nature, spent with excess of pleasure, dissolves and dies away. A critical edition by Peter Sabor includes a bibliography and explanatory notes. [5] The collection Launching "Fanny Hill" contains several essays on the historical, social and economic themes underlying the novel. [6] Publishing history [ edit ]Thus they kept me pretty long at table, and about six in the evening, after I was retired to my own apartment, and the tea-board was set, enters my venerable mistress, follow'd close by that satyr, who came in grinning in a way peculiar to him, and by his odious presence confirm'd me in all the sentiments of detestation which his first appearance had given birth to. Browne, Ray Broadus; Browne, Pat (2001). The Guide to United States Popular Culture. Popular Press. ISBN 978-0-87972-821-2. Such too, and so cruel was my fate, that I dreaded the sight of Mrs. Brown, as if I had been the criminal, and she the person injur'd: a mistake which you will not think so strange, on distinguishing that neither virtue, nor principles, had the least share in the defence I had made; but only the particular aversion I had conceiv'd against this first brutal and frightful invader of my tender innocence. But on her sounding me how the sight had affected me: without mincing or hiding the pleasurable emotions it had inspir'd me with, I told her at the same time that one remark had perplex'd me, and that very considerably: "Aye!" say she, what was that?" Why, replied I, having very curiously and attentively compared ​the size of that enormous machine, which did not appear, at least to my fearful imagination, less than my wrist, and at least three of my handfuls long, to that of the tender, small part of me which was framed to receive it, I can not conceive its being possible to afford it entrance there, without dying, perhaps in the greatest pain, since she well knew that even a finger thrust in there, hurt me beyond bearing ————as to my mistress's and yours, ————I can very plainly distinguish the different dimensions of them from mine, palpable to the touch, and visible to the eye, so that in short, great as the promised pleasure may be, I am afraid of the pain of the experiment.

Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure/Letter the First Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure/Letter the First

This was a work of literature. Comparing words selected in the 1700s to ones used in 2000s. How writing and describing different sexual related words have gone through extreme change. I also like the storyline, I was wondering how this novel would end. Instead of which, her lascivious touches had lighted up a new fire that wanton'd through all my veins, but fix'd with violence in that center appointed them by nature, where the first strange hands were now busied in feeling, squeezing, compressing the lips, then opening them again, with a finger between, till an Oh! express'd her hurting me, where the narrowness of the unbroken passage refused it entrance to any depth. Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure (1749) was the first widely-read English novel in the genre "Erotica." It was written by John Cleland as he was serving hard time at a debtor's prison in London. Over the centuries, the novel has been repeatedly banned by authorities, assuring its preeminent role in the history of the ongoing struggle against censorship of free expression.

As the book became popular, pirate editions appeared. It was once believed that the scene near the end, in which Fanny reacts with disgust at the sight of two young men engaging in anal intercourse, [9] was an interpolation made for these pirated editions, but the scene is present in the first edition (p. xxiii). In the 19th century, copies of the book sold underground in the UK, the US and elsewhere. [10] In 1887, a French edition appeared with illustrations by Édouard-Henri Avril. I could not but observe that my young minion was as much spruc'd out as could ​be expected from one in his condition; a desire of pleasing that could not be indifferent to me, since it prov'd that I pleased him, which I assure you was now a point I was not above having in view.

LibriVox LibriVox

Yet, plain as Mrs. Brown's views were now come out, I had not the heart or spirit to open my eyes to them: still I could not part with my dependence on that beldam; so much did I think myself her's, soul and body: or rather, I sought to deceive myself with the continuation of my good opinion of her, and chose to wait the worst at her hands, sooner than being turn'd out to starve in the streets, without a penny of money, or a friend to apply to: these fears were my folly.After saluting her, he led her to a couch that fronted us, where they both sat down, and the young Genoese help'd her to a glass of wine, with some Naples bisket on a salver. Madam was, however, so well pleased with her bargain, that, fearing, I presume, lest better advice, or some accident might occasion my slipping through her ​fingers, she would officiously take me in a coach to my inn, where calling herself for my box, it was, I being present, delivered without the least scruple, or explanation as to where I was going. Because of the book's notoriety (and public domain status), numerous adaptations have been produced. Some of them are: Bates, Stephen. "Father Hill and Fanny Hill: an Activist Group's Crusade to Remake Obscenity Law". UNC / First Amendment Law Journal. 8 (2): 2.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment