276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Man at the Helm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Love this one, or dislike this one, that's up to you now. It did not float my boat or ring my bell. I think I could have skipped to the end chapter and missing NOTHING in the middle. Nina Stibbe is one of the rare authors who can talk about the sad, tragic, painfully shameful in such a way that it is impossible not to laugh. The unique talent and gold standard of the author of humorous prose, her books largely have an autobiographical basis. This is a mature gift that has managed to wait for its time. Imagine. that her first novel "With Love, Nina" (Love, Nina) was based on the impressions of thirty years ago from working in 1982-1984 as a nanny in the house of Mary K. Wilmers, editor-in-chief of the London Book Review. Land-based ship simulators may feature a full-scale replica of a steering stand with a ship's wheel. Such simulators incorporate magnetic and gyro compasses (or repeaters) for steering. Moreover, a rudder angle indicator that responds appropriately to the helm is part of the configuration. In 'Love, Nina', random things seemed to happen and then were never referred to again such as the incident where Nina struggled to write in her life-writing class to reproduce the incident where they led a horse upstairs. Well, if you ever wanted to find out what happened (to the horse and to the attempt to write it), you'll find out here.

BBC Radio 4 - Man at the Helm - Available now BBC Radio 4 - Man at the Helm - Available now

Let me tell you how delicious this book is: Jane-Austen delicious. The particular pleasures of a Jane Austen book are wit and dignity in the face of impending financial doom. The doom is caused by crazy relatives and simply being a dependent female in a male-centric world, and the only cure is to find a good man. On merchant ships, it is taught at the various maritime academies that the proper way to relieve the helm is for the helmsman being relieved to call out loudly the ship's course per gyro, course per standard magnetic compass, steering mode, rudder angle, and the pump the vessel is steering off of. The relief helmsman will then take the helm and repeat all the information to ensure that he/she knows what to steer while on watch. An example of this would be: The tone at times reminded me of Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle with its opinionated innocence. There is a lurking wisdom here, too – moments when you recognise the truth in an observation, such as: "busy-body actions are often selfish at heart and mostly don't help the intended recipient". Some of the wisdom is inherited. At one point the mother says one of the worst things in life is trying to get over bad things you have caused yourself. This is followed, without missing a beat, by: "She knew this – most of the bad things in her life having been her own fault." This ought to be devastating, but in the context of this uplifting book the remark manages to be light, unjudgmental – nearly a joke.

at the ˈhelm/ˈtiller

The book is told purely from Lizzie's perspective, I found this got very boring after a while. The characters have no opportunity to shine either, I found them all very flat and one dimensional. This book should have been amazing, but it just wasn't. Charming and bittersweet, with a very English flavor, this social comedy is distinguished by Stibbe’s light touch and bright eye.

Helmsman - Wikipedia Helmsman - Wikipedia

A] joyous read, full of wit and charm . . . I am already longing for Nina Stibbe's next book' Observer A] joyous read, full of wit and charm . . . I am already longing for Nina Stibbe's next book ( Express) Ship simulators [ edit ] A ship bridge simulator with 3-D graphics creates scenarios with realistic sights and sounds to train mariners in ship handling. The proliferation of autopilot systems and the increased computerization of operations on a ship's bridge lessen the need for helmsmen standing watch in open waters. There are some nice moments, even a few slightly funny moments in the book, but not enough to salvage it. By the middle of the book it was just dragging on with a load of waffle and minor events that I was nearly asleep reading it. I don't think I would have missed much.Although narrated by the adult Lizzie, the voice is still that of a nine-year-old and there gives emotional tug and pull between what a child sees and feels and what the wisdom and hindsight of adulthood give. Helmsmen of merchant and military ships that are underway stand watch at the helm for a set period of time before being relieved by another watchstander. The person being relieved will complete any course change or other critical maneuver that is in progress before handing over the helm.

Man at the Helm,’ Nina Stibbe’s Comic First Novel Review: ‘Man at the Helm,’ Nina Stibbe’s Comic First Novel

However technology also allows for a multitude of smaller workstations in a classroom setting. Administrators network student workstations so that the instructor can launch individual scenarios at each station. Computer models are used to accurately simulate conditions such as wind, seas, and currents. Moreover, shallow-water effects or other hydrodynamic forces, such as ships passing close to each other, can also be depicted. A computer application records training sessions, complete with voice commands issued by the instructor which are received by the students via a headset. Some of the most perceptive writing I've read about relationships in a while...this book is very, very funny. Stibbe has a fine eye for absurdity, and her writing has an unforced charm." - The Independent (UK) But these are issues that can be sorted out as Stibbe's undoubtedly distinctive writing develops. She has the potential to become that increasingly rare thing: an accomplished comic novelist who knows how to make it matter. I can't remember a book that made me laugh more . . . At times [it] reminded me of Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle. Man at the Helm is a winner - It even trumps Love, Nina ( Observer)If you liked 'Love, Nina' (and if you didn't, stop reading my review, we're clearly not going to get on), you will love this too. Steering a ship effectively requires skills gained through training and experience. An expert helmsman has a keen sense of how a particular ship will respond to the helm or how different sea conditions impact steering. For instance, experience teaches a helmsman the ability to correct the rudder in advance of a ship substantially falling off course. This requires the capacity to anticipate the delay between when the helm is applied and when the ship responds to the rudder. Similarly, a skilled helmsman will avoid overcompensating for a ship's movement caused by local conditions, such as wind, swells, currents, or rough seas. I think one of the biggest issues for me was the way the book was written. I felt as if Lizzie was just talking at me the whole time and that there was no depth at all to any of the character interactions or indeed the scenery and setting in the book. The village didn’t ‘come alive’ for me and I couldn’t really picture in my head any of the conversations the characters were having. That's always a red flag for me. Love, Nina) легли впечатления тридцатилетней давности от работы в 1982-1984 няней в доме Мэри-Кей Уилмерс, главного редактора Лондонского книжного обозрения.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment