276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Woman Who Lied: The thrilling Sunday Times bestseller from the author of THE COUPLE AT NO 9

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is another addition to my loved list for 2023. The book is gripping, creative and hugely entertaining from start to end. I cannot find anything I did not enjoy about this story. Why have I not read more of this author’s work?

The author, Claire Douglas, has masterfully blended the suspense with a great cast of characters and tension in every line. The Woman Who Lied is cleverly written, and the plot line kept me guessing until the end. I was desperate to figure out who was the person behind the terror, and my guess was completely wrong. I think the premise of this one was so good and I think it had so much potential to be really great however I think what let it down for me was maybe the pacing, the last twenty five percent felt quite rushed and some of the twists and turns just felt so rushed that it left me feeling as though they must have been an afterthought. The thing that I normally like about Claire Douglas' writing is that its at times antagonising slow filling you with details for it all to come together in the end however the end just didnt deliver in that way for me and left me wanting more. The author beautifully combines the different storylines and delivers a fantastic gripping tale. While experiencing events from Emilia’s perspective, you also enjoy extracts from her book and a police investigation into a serial killer. These different elements make this an interesting read that keeps you curious. When everything is tied up you are left in awe as it all falls into place. This book is clever and creative.

eBook Details

Emilia Ward lives very quietly in a London suburb with her husband and two children. You'd never guess that she's the author of the Detective Miranda Moody books. While she's writing the tenth in series, something happens which mirrors a crime in a previous book and unsettles her, but she manages to shrug it off as coincidence. However, when someone dies in the exact same mannner as in the book she's currently writing, it's obvious that there's more going on. Who could know what Emilia's writing - and is her family in danger? A bestselling detective novelist and her family are in danger when chilling events from her novels begin happening around her in this gripping thriller from the British sensation—the #1 internationally bestselling author of The Girls Who Disappeared and The Couple at Number 9. Emilia Ward is just an ordinary mum living happily in suburban London with her husband and two children – a teenager from her first marriage, a little boy from her second. She also happens to be the bestselling author of the Miranda Moody detective novels.But when Emilia embarks on her tenth novel, life takes a disturbing turn: an incident straight out of the plot of one of her novels occurs in real life. Just an unsettling coincidence, she thinks.Until it happens again – and again.Then someone she knows dies in the same way as a victim in the book she’s currently writing . . .Why is someone doing this?How do they know what she is writing?And what if Emilia and her family are next? The Woman Who Lied by Claire Douglas – eBook Details Emilia Ward is excited about the book she just finished writing. She has already published nine books in the series and she is happy that the new book is the last in the series. But when strange things start happening, she realises that she might have a stalker, someone is re-creating scenes from her books. However, when something is taken from her unpublished manuscript, she immediately knows that whoever is behind the pranks is someone close to her. Who would want to terrorise her, and who could be capable of murder? A tightly plotted, dazzling thriller, filled with Claire Douglas's trademark suspense. An up-all-night read' LUCY CLARKE

Anyone can take part in our book club, at any point in the month. Plus, you can do so from the comfort of your armchair, sofa. You get the picture.

From the Sunday Times bestselling author of The Couple at No 9

When she starts writing her tenth Detective Miranda Moody novel, however, life takes a frightening turn: an incident straight out of one of her novels occurs in real life. The premise of this novel is really good and the author makes you want to understand the truth behind the escalation of the threat levels. The characterisation especially of Emilia and her family is good with all of them being well fleshed out. There are plenty of plot twists and turns and the author keeps on coming right to the very end with the final one being especially good. I like the extract from the book that are also included in the narrative. Thrilling, twisty and impossible to put down, The Woman Who Lied is Claire Douglas at her very best -- TIM WEAVER

Emilia Ward is happily married to her second husband, Elliot, and is mother to Jasmine and Wilfie. She’s not just a wife and mum though, as she is also the bestselling author of the Miranda Moody detective stories, the 10th of which she has just written. However, after a few unsettling and weird incidents, Emilia realises these occurrences are mirroring events in her book, real life imitating art. Emilia is clearly concerned and is hyper alert, but things totally plummet when a friend dies in exactly the same way as in her new book. What is going on? How is it even possible that someone knows the contents as it’s not yet been published? Are Emilia and her family going to be the next targets? If you are looking for a creative, gripping thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat then you want to add this title to your TBR. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It’s a fantastic read! Kudos where kudos are due, this is a clever plot. However, I think Claire Douglas was trying to do too much. As a reader I think we were expected to suspend reality a bit more than I think was necessary. Claire Douglas is the Sunday Times number one bestselling author of novels including, The Sisters, Local Girl Missing, Last Seen Alive, Do Not Disturb, Then She Vanishes and Just Like The Other Girls. An unputdownable thriller. Spine-tingling mystery . . . I could not put this down! -- GRAZIA BOOK CLUBTHE WOMAN WHO LIED is a gripping read, so cleverly plotted and brimming with tension. The book-within-a-book intrigued me and works beautifully to ratchet up the tension and deepen the mystery. I loved it -- GILLY MACMILLAN There was one twist in the middle that was pretty incredible. That was one moment I thoroughly enjoyed. Other than that moment, there wasn’t much on offer. Plot aside, the characters were inconsistent at the very least. We were told a few times how that protagonist would do anything to protect her kids, but that didn’t extend as far as telling the truth just because she was embarrassed?? And then apparently, she was wise to the darker side of humanity because she was an author, but yet she couldn’t make any connections at any point, not even some rather obvious correlations.

Life imitates art and the truth keeps sliding just out of reach in this clever, twisting thriller. Claire Douglas knows just how to put both characters and readers through their paces - I was hooked -- LOUISE CANDLISH We have said goodbye to August (not quite sure how. It went so fast,) and we say hello to September. I did not want this book to end. I read it in bed. On the sofa. In the bus. You get the picture. Did not put it down till it was done. Then felt disappointed with myself as I had gobbled it up and not spread the treat out. Best book by the author' 5* READER REVIEW A cleverly plotted dark and twisty thriller which will keep you guessing until the end -- ALICE FEENEYTruly tremendous, cleverly plotted with a deftly drawn cast and an enthralling one-sit read' 5* READER REVIEW

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment