276°
Posted 20 hours ago

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D Desktop Processor (16-core/32-thread, 144MB cache, up to 5.7 GHz max boost)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When you factor in the cost of upgrading to the new AM5 platform, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D only makes sense if you are upgrading from an AMD Zen 3 or 11th-gen Intel processor or earlier, since you'll need to buy a whole new setup to get a newer processor from either brand. If you've got a 12th-gen Intel chip, though, making the jump to the AM5 platform for this processor alone is going to be a pricey upgrade. The cache clearly does not help enough to give the Ryzen 9 7950X3D the performance advantage in any other CPU test in our suite. At the same time, its lower TDP and heat limit cause the 7950X3D to operate a bit slower and perform worse in almost every test except that one. The Ryzen 9 7950X is slightly faster in many of these tests, but, considering how much cheaper that chip is at list price, it’s a bit of a no-brainer which is the better value in this scenario. AMD’s decision to add extra cache to only one of these chips is somewhat unconventional, as the two CCXs will have different performance characteristics as a result, but there’s a logical reason behind it. The added cache chip and its position on top of one of the CCXs introduce power and heat considerations to the CPU that didn’t exist before. Synthetic single and multi-core benchmarks test the performance of specific instruction sets and processor operations like floating-point calculations using benchmark tools like GeekBench, Cinebench, and PassMark. Reduced performance in some productivity appsThe cons just weigh too heavy for me to even consider the CPU or the AM5 platform.

Make sure the BIOS is up to date and the Default BIOS options will be optimal for X3D, however the specific settings you can confirm are set correct are: CPPC = Auto / CStates & DFStates = Auto. If you didn't change these, they should be set correctly anyway.The tuned setting did deliver higher performance, but only in the same way you can tune an F1 car to run above tolerances only to explode as it crosses the finish line. I could catch some higher benchmark numbers, but the system was in no way stable.

The score in 3DMark obtained by the Ryzen 9 7950X3D is slightly lower than the one obtained by the Ryzen 9 7950X, but by so slim of a margin that it's essentially a tie. These two chips tie in other tests as well but, in F1 22, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D holds a decisive advantage over its similarly named counterpart while also narrowly passing the Intel competition.

When it comes to the synthetic benchmarks, there's very little difference between the 7950X3D and the 7950X. Both chips are phenomenal multitaskers, and though the 7950X has consistently stronger single core scores than the 7950X3D, the 7950X3D performs better with multi core performance than its non-3D V-Cache counterpart. Cache has been an essential and highly influential part of computers for decades now, and its importance is unquestionable. What is questionable, however, and what has been questioned since the beginning, is how much cache is enough. Some argue that you can never have enough, but this is illogical. More cache means a larger, or in this case, an extra, chip—and that leads to higher costs. Past a certain point, it becomes questionable if the CPU will even be able to use or take advantage of all the cache you have. Testing a processor is arguably one of the most involved processes of any component I review because there are so many things to measure and quantify. Or maybe the Ryzen 9 7900X3D or Ryzen 7 7800X3D might be. I've yet to test the other cache-heavy chips, but if they can deliver the same gaming and efficiency uplifts as this one then they're going to make more sense to a PC gamer. The 7900X3D has the same asymmetrical chiplet layout, so has the same compromises for productivity, but the 7800X3D is a pure 3D V-Cache gaming beast. If you ain't rendering in Blender, that's likely to be the best of the bunch for you. My PC runs every game that I play without issues. And with the recent GPU upgrade I'll be happy for another year or so and will upgrade when needed.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment