276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Journey

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

How wordless picture books like Journey can be used to develop children’s oral storytelling abilities We meet a girl who wants to have fun and play with her parents or sibling. They are all busy and complicated at the moment so she retreats to her room. She watches her cat get up and leave the floor and next to her where the cat was laying is red chalk. The girl grabs it and immediately draws a door which opens to this magical world. She continues to watch the bird, and is startled when it is suddenly captured in a big net! Bird in a cage (Eagle pose)

glistening rivers, dramatic moats and dizzying waterfalls with a few artful strokes of her crayon, she is soon soaring above the clouds in a bright red hot-air balloon, Watch this trailer for the book. Could you use multimedia software to create your own book trailer? Through pictures alone, the book tells the story of a lonely girl who uses a red crayon to escape from a mundane world into a magical adventure full of fun and exhilarating adventures. The girl travels on a magic carpet and boat, gets trapped by an evil tyrant, and must find a way to escape along with a purple bird. As part of our transition work with HSMS, all the First schools will be looking at this text. Next term (if all goes to plan), you will be studying the follow-up to this text (The Quest). It is lovely for the Y5 teachers to see what you are capable of as writers, illustrators and designers: and the work you do this term will be followed up by your new teacher, next year. In a large, clear space (such as the school hall) mime drawing an object with a magic crayon and make it ‘come to life’. Perform the mimes to the rest of the class, then pair the children and ask them to use their magic crayons to create something together. Take photographs as they perform, then ask them to write about the experience.And together, they made a bicycle! They can continue on to new journeys and worlds together. Two crayons are better than one 🙂 Closing (savasana, or resting pose) We meet a girl who is lonely and the rest of her family is busy. She finds her imagination and she is off in another world. A very lovely world filled with wonders. She uses her magic red crayon to create things or open doors. Read The Pencil by Allan Ahlberg and Bruce Ingman, and imagine your pencil has come to life. Let it dance over coloured and textured papers to explore different kinds of mark making. What happens when you press harder, or hardly press at all? Think of sketching as taking a pencil for a walk, and try drawing from observation in a way that lets the pencil have some fun. Hold the pencil lightly and let it make some interesting marks.

The ending might leave you guessing a little bit as to how the events conclude. The clues are in the colors. In this next idea, pupils can bring some of the characters from the story to life to share their understanding of the motives, actions and decisions. As you explore the illustrations in the book, try to find features that might be clues about the rest of the story.

It was fun to plan out the sequence ahead of time, but some kids are completely able to come up with poses as they read or tell the story to themselves. That is an excellent yoga lesson plan and storytelling goal!

We’d tell a story together as a class with yoga cards and poses. We would read books with yoga poses built in. It's a bad idea to talk to much about this book... it's much better to let the pictures talk, and even sing!A young girl escapes her lonely, sepia-tone world by drawing a door that leads into an enchanted world tinted with colour, adventure and, ultimately, friendship. She takes quite a JOURNEY in this completely wordless picture book, with her magical red crayon as the key. In a little rowing boat, she sails along the canals of a golden-domed city. In a bright-red hot-air balloon, she escapes one near-misadventure and heads towards another. Finally, she lands in a cage after an encounter with a sinister crew and an exotic purple bird, and, as the crayon falls from her hands, all seems lost. Bravery, and a little help from the loyal bird, leads her to further misadventures a bit closer to home, where she finds she's not the only one with a magic crayon and an imagination. Distribute large sheets of paper and some coloured pencils and ask the children to draw a scene from their world This may be a children's book, but I can see it having much broader appeal than that. It seems to be popular among adults as well, and I totally understand why. It's fun, it's cute, it's engaging, and it's skillfully done. It's one of the best picture books I've read! A girl is bored with her grey house full of grey people doing grey things. Even her grey cat is sleeping and doesn't want to play.

Three toed sloth. By Aaron. Picture from-National Geographic Society. Regions of the World. My animal is a three toed sloth Lives in Eastern Brazil Lives in the rainforest. . Use travel brochures, magazines or the internet to build a collection of photographic images showing some of the cultural references. Copy and laminate them. Talk about the pictures and provides some context using what you know or have read. You could refer to travel guides or books about Japan from the library. Taken as a whole, his illustrations provide a rich and memorable reading experience that will inspire much in the way of thinking and talking, and make a wonderful starting point for creative projects of all kinds. 1 | Playing picture detectives In this next idea, pupils create a picture of themselves in a hot air balloon similar to that in the story. After glancing through the book, I immediately knew that it would work really well as a yoga lesson plan with a good sequence of poses.

What you have here is a wordless storybook. It is, I would suggest, more a work of art, a collection of linked paintings that tell a story. Our main character (nameless), seeks refuge from her disconnected life in the adventures she creates with her red crayon. Sound like a book we've all read and loved? Stay with me. She journeys, with her crayon, into a beautifully imagined world and an adventure. I really don't want to ruin the BRILLIANT (boy how I wish FB would let me italicize) twist ending, but I will say that this is so much more than an homage to HAROLD AND THE PURPLE CRAYON, it is an extension of it, a tribute to it, a joining of worlds. For example: what would happen if this object…grew to be enormous? …had magic powers? …wanted a friend? …came to life? …belonged to somebody else (the queen, a lion, a visitor from outer space)? Why not record the stories that emerge and make a collection of books to accompany them? These can be shared with another class or added to your own reading corner. Or you can record descriptions of single spreads and ask children to listen before matching each description to its picture. Elements of Arabia, feudal Japan, and steampunk make this book a visual wonder. This book has a great message about using your imagination to escape boring situation, and how two children can use imagination together. I miss Owl class," Mr Wookey sighed as he gazed at their work, which was popping up on his laptop screen.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment