276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Book of Stolen Dreams (The Stolen Dreams Adventures): 1

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Esta história é inspirada na família do escritor, nomeadamente uma tia-avó e tio-avô, que conseguiram fugir nos Nazis, na Alemanha. The two main characters, Rachel and Robert, each have important parts to play in the hunt for the secret of the book, but it is Rachel who really steals the show. With a big heart and courage to match, she has a strong sense of justice and the importance to fight for what is right, even when the cost may seem to be too great to bear.

The story is in part inspired by Farr’s family history, based on his Great Aunt and Uncle’s escape from Nazi Germany - but reimagined in a fantasy dictatorship. This is a story that values bravery, the magic of books and the influence of individuals who follow the right course even when the world around them feels oppressive. The Book of Stolen Dreams offers a tense and thrilling adventure, but one in which Farr allows the youngest characters to win the day - providing a hope-filled reminder that good can triumph over tyranny in a million small, everyday ways. The mix of characters here provides such wonderful possibilities. From the evil tyrant president who hates children and has turned a country into a wasteland, from the brave, smart, adorable kids like Rachel and Robert on a mission to save their father and the whole country, to a whole heap of side-characters that either made me giggle, or want to hug the book. This tense and exciting fantasy thriller is complex and magical with some great characters – both heroic and evil. The magical side of the book doesn't dominate and it doesn't overwhelm and confuse, which I was delighted about. We get to read the dreams that comprise this book, and these are wonderful little segment, not too long, but just right, and I wish the ARC had illustrations. I can't even imagine how gorgeous the physical copy will be! Ahhh, I wish I had one right now!

The magic that was uncovered proved fascinating. I loved its slow introduction in the book and loved learning how it impacted the lives of these children. David Farr integrated it seamlessly into the story and I was engaged in all the different aspects that combined to make this a fascinating and fast-paced story.

Along the way we meet a host of characters - at both ends of the spectrum. Malstain is a shadowy villain, orchestrating terrible deeds for his own selfish reasons. Opposing him are a motley crew, and not all are guaranteed to do the right thing when asked. With a gorgeous cover like that and with the tile of The Book of Stolen Dreams I had high expectations for this adventurous middle grade novel. Unfortunately those were not at all met. The book doesn't focus much on character development. Each character has his/her own strong points that they utilize to their favour when the time comes. And that's kinda it. As if sensing what she was thinking, the little man stood beside her at the rail and spoke quietly.As we follow Rachel and Robert in their task, they are placed in extreme peril. They suffer in the way that only young children in stories can. The odds are against them. They are pitched into a battle they might not win…but their determination to do the right thing and their bravery makes for a gripping story. Now the adventure itself is just so well done and wrapped up even better. There's nothing I can say that I didn't like. The pacing was perfect, I could easily keep up and it wasn't as predictable, which I was pleasantly surprised to learn. It felt like we were given a lot of clues, bits and pieces to put together along with our two main characters, and while it wasn't too complex, I had moments where I failed to piece the puzzles. That's absolutely not a bad thing at all. And when you actually finish the book, you get this sense of accomplishment and happiness that you were able to put these things together and come to a conclusion. Despite following both characters, it is clear that the book is setting Rachel up to be the star. I feel having a limited third person point of view would have worked better. I think getting completely swept up in Rachel throughout the story and discovering what happened to her brother instead of knowing what is going on before her would have jammed up the suspense and engagement. The overall atmosphere was fantastic, it was easy to imagine all the quirky clothing, from people having penguin hats to pointy noses that looked like beaks, to legs of dictators that looked like carrots. And then, of course, there is the aspect of a library and a book, and if you're a bookworm, which I believe most of you reading this are, how could you not be interested in a bookish, magical, adventure.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment