276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Full English: A Sunday Times bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Stuart John Maconie (born 13 August 1961) [2] is an English radio DJ and television presenter, writer, journalist, and critic working in the field of pop music and popular culture. He is a presenter on BBC Radio 6 Music where, alongside Mark Radcliffe, he hosts its weekend breakfast show (Saturday–Sunday, 8 am–10 am) [3] which broadcasts from the BBC's MediaCityUK in Salford. The pair previously presented an evening show on BBC Radio 2 and the weekday afternoon show for BBC Radio 6 Music.

Maconie has also presented musical specialities for BBC Radio 4 and the new-style "populist" BBC Radio 3 and has appeared on television and in films. In 2007 he presented Stuart Maconie's TV Towns for ITV3, six one-hour shows about TV and film locations in Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Liverpool and London. I liked parts of this book, while others seemed to blend in with earlier sections, and I wasn't quite sure what the ultimate aim of the trip was. Obviously, he was retracing JB Priestley, but there were political elements and comparisons with the past, and reflections on the attitudes of residents, as well as a general retreat to places and things he liked - which is fine, but if you are offering your thoughts on places and people, I think you have to experience more of them.

Customer reviews

Maconie is much more sure-footed and insightful in “The Full English” (perhaps paradoxically) when he leaves behind his native terrain of Northern England (what an unkind critic might describe as his ‘comfort zone’). Where “The Full English” comes alive is when Maconie tours unglamorous, oft overlooked, and unfairly maligned regions like the Midlands and The Potteries. These areas are regularly dismissed as post-industrial wastelands – the now-notorious ‘Red Wall - or as Maconie describes them, “places that used to make things”. But far from the expected doom, gloom, and dilapidation, in places like Coventry, Leicester, Hull and Southampton Maconie finds cities reinventing themselves, vibrant with multiculturalism and a new-found confidence, repurposing post-industrial derelict spaces into cultural hubs. On this latter point, culture appears to offer England one of its few escape routes out of its post-Brexit morass; Maconie evidences this through how Birmingham has rejuvenated its city centre (at least partly) through the support of classical music venues. Maconie, Stuart (2017). Long Road from Jarrow: A journey through Britain then and now. London: Ebury Press. ISBN 978-1785036316. Stuart Maconie's fantastic new book, 'Hope & Glory: The Days That Made Britain', is in the shops now I’m a big fan. Because I think he is a rare example of someone who has almost disappeared from English cultural life. He was extremely popular with the reader in the street and also ferociously intelligent, well read, politically astute. I think, to a certain degree, he began to play to the stereotype of the gruff, no-nonsense Yorkshire man. There’s loads about the intelligentsia of the time – Graham Greene and Virginia Woolf – but there was a huge jealousy because he sold so many books. I just think he did so many things so well and so successfully. He engaged with ordinary people without talking down to them and he was a terrific writer. Politically, I am close to him in that he was a progressive, patriotic centre-left person. His sympathies were with ordinary working people in the north of England. I like him.”

I think we're quite kindred spirits in terms of our centre left politics," he added. "We're both more interested in ordinary people than we are with ideologies and I think we're both similar people cut from similar cloth. Laing, Rob (22 February 2023). " "It's the usual, s**t stirring, ill informed nonsense" – Roger Waters denies calling David Gilmour's Pink Floyd guitar solos on Dark Side of the Moon "horrible" ". MusicRadar . Retrieved 27 February 2023. The Full English: Sunbeam Rapiers being made in Coventry in 1955. Photograph: Bert Hardy/Picture Post/Hulton/Getty The six towns are very tight communities and you can tell that people have a real pride in coming from their own town. I'm sure that if anyone had mistakenly said that Lemmy from Motörhead was from Hanley rather than Burslem he would have put them right.

You might also like

Stuart told StokeOnTrentLive that he found the city 'one of the biggest mysteries of all the chapters in the book'. Priestley's classic travelogue, English Journey, to explore our national identity and how it has evolved over the last century. The Full English: Christian Wakeford's shuttered constituency office in Radcliffe the day the MP announced his defection to the British Labour Party from the Conservatives. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty

Maconie was born in Whiston. [6] He was raised in Prescot, Merseyside. He was educated at St John Rigby College, Orrell and Edge Hill College (now Edge Hill University, Ormskirk.) [1] Maconie (right) with bassist Nigel PowerAnd the 'thing' turned out to be his new book, The Full English, which sees him follow in the footsteps of JB Priestley's classic travelogue, English Journey, to 'explore our national identity and how it has evolved over the last century'. In his career as a writer and journalist he has written for Q, Word Magazine, ELLE, The Times, The Guardian, the Evening Standard, Daily Express, Select, Mojo, Country Walking, Deluxe and was an assistant editor for the NME. In September 2008, he began a new monthly column for Cumbria Life magazine. Maconie previously worked as an English and sociology teacher at Skelmersdale College, Lancashire for one year in 1987–88. [1] [8] He has written screenplays for television and films. Harris, John (13 June 2013). "The People's Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records by Stuart Maconie – review". The Guardian . Retrieved 12 July 2013.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment