276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Luna Bean Large Keepsake Hands Casting Kit | DIY Plaster Statue Molding Hand Holding Craft Kit for Couples, Adult & Child, Wedding, Friends, Anniversary Gift

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Air bubbles in the mold show up as bumps in the casting. This could have been reduced by mixing the molding compound carefully to avoid introducing more air, pulling a vacuum on the compound to bring bubbles to the surface (it will foam, so make sure you're prepared for a mess), and having the model move around so the compound adheres to the object, causing any bubbles to form away from the model, rather than next to it. I removed the larger of these from the casting simply by pinching them with a set of pliers. A file, sandpaper, or rotary tool with a burr would work as well though you lose detail the more material you remove. This is by far the most common issue, and one of the easiest to fix. Still, make sure they wriggle their fingers and move their hand around a lot before holding the pose during molding. The bottom line here is that 9 ounces (weight) of this alginate makes about one cup of mixed casting material.

Plan ahead to do this each year or two, and make a mount that shows growth over time, including pictures in front of a height measure of some sort. The color-changing alginate molding powder in this kit is also really helpful in knowing when your materials have set and will make the process feel more intuitive. Keep in mind that while the parts are made of fairly tough plaster, it is still easy to scratch and damage. Clearcoating, or painting, is recommended for long term durability. As the part is heavy and cold (high thermal mass), a bronze or other metallic paint will cause many to wonder if it is really metal. With the capacity to cast up to six small children, three adults, or two adults and four children, this set contains a large volume of molding and casting material to ensure quality outcomes — fingerprint and wedding ring details included! The safety of everyone involved in the casting exercise is of the utmost importance when choosing a hand casting kit. You’ll be dealing with chemical ingredients that can be toxic on the skin or respiratory tract when inhaled in powder form. Some specific plaster products tend to burn the skin.

Recommendations

Make a mobile out of them - make certain they are secure, each hand weighs over a pound and will hurt if they fall on you.

Air bubbles in the casting show up as voids and holes in the casting. This could be reduced using methods similar to those mentioned above for the molding compound. Also, as the compound is fairly liquid and takes some time to cure, a vibration table may also work well. These could be filled in with a variety of materials after the casting has cured. This deluxe set is curated to provide your baby maximum comfort while obtaining excellent details and results. Molding materials have been developed with a special formula to resist wiggling and make cast removal and peeling easy. Do not use hot water. The compound is exothermic and releases heat as it cures. Further, the compound cures faster with warmer water. Each time I made more hydrostone than needed - each hand needed less than a cup. I used nearly 5 pounds of hydrostone on two pours, one for 4 hands, and one for 2 hands. In both cases I ended up with enough extra to make several sand castings.I did not fully meet my goal. I wanted to pull several hands from each mold, but did not carefully consider the problem of overhangs, and the fact that the fist and hand are larger than the wrist. With suitable mold release compound one might still succeed to some limited extent, but I expect a 2 part mold would work better, and I will attempt that in the future.

The people you treasure most in your life will always hold a special and permanent place in your heart. Still, a hand replica of them or both of you provides a great visual reminder of what they mean to you and keeps the memories fresh. Although marketed as a couple’s kit, there’s still ample space to squeeze in a small child’s hand and triple the fun. How about making it three kids, or two little kids and an adult’s hand? It’s really up to you.Apart from the molding cast, what else does the kit bring to the table? You might encounter various additions depending on the brand. Some manufacturers will include paint, others a clear finish, mixing tubs, cleaning and measuring tools, or a display stand. It’s really up to you to decide what appeals to you. Durability Materials AlginateThis molding compound forms a rubbery elastomer within minutes of mixing with water. Captures impressive detail, while being flexible enough to prevent entrapment of the hand. It dries and shrinks over time, so it's not suitable for more than a few castings. I used ALG-390 from Special Effect Supply Corporation, which is a 3 minute set alginate.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment