276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War (Vintage International)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It was cute with the different colored birds and different noises. Good rhyming. It has a funny ending and I like the pictures, especially of all the feathers. There are 220 bird species that breed in the British Isles and as many as a quarter migrate here. Swallows fly from South Africa, some 6,000 miles away, to grace our skies. Quite how they navigate remains a mystery. In the era of climate crisis, fewer are migrating. The corncrakes and quail that Lovatt’s grandparents would have heard are less common today, as are the nightingales and turtle doves that his parents would have listened to: “I’ve never heard any of these species in Britain.” Katie Marland’s illustration of the Skylark, from Birdsong in a Time of Silence. Photograph: Katie Marland This book is a simple, bright invitation to make some noise during story time! One bird lands on a tree branch and begins to sing “Kitcha kitcha Kee kee kee.” Another bird flies to the same branch and begins its own song “Urrah! Urrah! Rah rah ree.” More birds come, including an owl and a parrot, until finally a very large bird with an enormous voice manages to clear the others from the branch with very humorous results. This is a joyous and profound meditation on birdsong and what it means to us, a book that brings to life an essential part of the natural world that most of us take so much for granted that we scarcely notice it.

Birdsong by Julie Flett | Goodreads Birdsong by Julie Flett | Goodreads

This is a book that, in fact, could appeal to all ages. The pictures and sounds are great for a young child to learn from, and the facts and descriptions will engage older children. It would also be suitable as a basic book for adults wanting to learn more about gardens birds, giving them the ability to start understanding basic birdsong, or even better – a good opportunity for an adult to spend time with a child, learning together. I read this nearly a year ago, but I'm finally reviewing it. The fact that I remember this children's book so vividly, means it has to be really good.

This is a fun short story, with vivid colors and simple words that will capture the attention of both toddlers and beginning readers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment