276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Revell 05422 Cutty Sark 1:96 Scale Unbuilt/Unpainted Plastic Model Kit

£49.995£99.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have chosen this kit because it's made from plastic, so I already know the know-how, and the rigging wouldn't be a nightmare (excluding the quantity 🙂 ), thanks to the big enough scale. its possible the printing has limitations for resolution but I have bought his 1/200 Titanic set and its awesome so it might be old and in need of upgrade

Finally made some headway on this one. The rigging is in progress, and there is a lot. I don't like the billowing vacform sails and they are extra work so I'll leave these off. I'm not sure of the origin of this kit - an old Revell catalogue (probably 1967) I have only lists the 1/96 version but this doesn't mean it isn't Revell - the sprues have a Heller look to them, I dunno... anyway here it is so far. As mentioned before, the kit has a really nice level of detail but it suffers from flashes, extraction pins and warping, maybe due to old molds.The bowsprit is quite weak. The innermost part is provided in two pieces, while the outermost spar is in one piece as shown below: There is a brilliant set of plans of the Cutty Sark by George Campbell that are really the definitive set to obtain. I think that the Maritime Museum in Greenwich sells them. I bought mine many years ago when visiting the ship itself so the Cutty Dark Society may be other source or maybe the ship has an on line shop. The holes for the plastic shrouds needs to be filled. To drill the new holes for the wooden deadeyes I have used a scaled version of the Campbell’s plans which fit perfectly the model size. This scaling operation is really useful and it will be helpful in many other circumstances.

The kit is, however, pretty accurate in terms of the basic shapes, and some of its details have never been surpassed. The crew figures are works of art, and Revell's rendition of the figurehead (Nanny the Witch) is, to my eye at least, a better looking representative of the female gender than the real thing. This kit can be turned into a fine model - as the article in last month's FSM demonstrated. If I were building it now I would, of course, junk the vac-formed "sails" and the plastic-coated-thread "shrouds and ratlines," and I'd consider replacing some of the spars - especially the smaller ones - with wood or brass. But it's a sound basis for a serious scale model. Another extremely good set of plans for the Cutty Sark is by George F Campbell, Marine Architect who I believe was involved with restoration work on the ship. Hi, looking forward to read your build. I've invested quite a bit in additional parts and built a work station out of an old ironing board (pictures of which are somewhere on these forums). Not started yet. I have the etch decorations for the stern and bow and have been wondering which is the cleanest way of gluing them on (after painting the hull?). I'm in the middle of building the Revell Cutty Sark. Have had the kit stored for about 15 years so thought it was about time to take it out of the box.

I decided to show the lifeboat covered, so the interior was not detailed that much. On the outside I added the holders for the rudder.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment