276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Night to Remember: The Classic Bestselling Account of the Sinking of the Titanic

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

First Officer William Murdoch was one of the most heroic figures of the Titanic. He saved many lives that night. The movie didn't do him justice. Wireless operators and engineers refused to abandon their posts. The band played until the very end. Welshman, John (2012). Titanic: The Last Night of a Small Town. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-161173-5. Kenneth Moore recalled the production of the film in his autobiography, published 20 years later in 1978. There was no tank big enough at Pinewood Studios to film the survivors struggling to climb into lifeboats, so it was done in the open-air swimming bath at Ruislip Lido, at 2:00 am on an icy November morning. When the extras refused to jump in, Moore realised he would have to set an example. He called out: "Come on!"

Meanwhile Bride draped an overcoat over Phillips’ shoulders, then managed to strap a life belt on him. The problem of getting him into his boots was more complicated. Phillips asked whether any boats were left—maybe the boots wouldn’t be needed. Lord traveled on the RMS Olympic, Titanic 's sister ship, when he was a boy and the experience gave him a lifelong fascination with the lost liner. [1] As he later put it, he spent his time on the Olympic "prowling around" and trying to imagine "such a huge thing" sinking. He started reading about and drawing Titanic at the age of ten and spent many years collecting Titanic memorabilia, causing people to "take note of this oddity." [2] He majored in history at Princeton University and graduated from Yale Law School before joining the New York–based advertising agency J. Walter Thompson. [2] Writing in his spare time, he interviewed 63 survivors of the disaster. [3] Ken Ringle, "Integrity Goes Down With the Ship; Historical Facts, Including True-Life Gallantry, Lost in Titanic", The Washington Post (22 March 1998), p. G08. I'm starting a new genre - natural and man-made disasters. I want to learn more about the famous ghost of the abyss : the one and only Titanic.The film was also a masterpiece in that it did not use a fictional plot and primary characters to draw audiences in; instead, it primarily relied upon historical figures and showed them in such a way that audiences cared about what happened to them.' [55] Home video [ edit ] By coincidence, four members of the cast, Peter Burton, Desmond Llewelyn, Geoffrey Bayldon and Alec McCowen, went on to play "Q" in various James Bond movies. Walter Lord had been very interested in the sinking of the RMS Titanic since he was child and wrote A Night to Remember while working as a copy editor at a New York ad agency. Lord interviewed over sixty survivors of the sinking and described in detail the events leading up to the Titanic striking the iceberg, the sinking and the rescue by the RMS Carpathia. The book also includes facts about the Titanic, a list of passengers with those that survived in italics and other information.

Benjamin Guggenheim had a more detailed message: “If anything should happen to me, tell my wife I’ve done my best in doing my duty.” Es verdad es que “La Última Noche del Titanic” fue un libro pionero en su época, una suerte de Biblia sobre el famoso hundimiento y como se gestó. Pero en la actualidad ha quedado un tanto desfasado y corto, mucha de la información que aporta, se ha demostrado que es inexacta o no ser verídica. A mi, personalmente se me ha quedado en muy poquita cosa, he notado que me faltaban ciertos datos o que había muchas cosas que no coincidían con lo que tenía entendido (que también os digo que yo no me considero ninguna experta sobre el tema del Titanic, para que mentir) Pero aún así, no creo que haya que quitarle ningún tipo de mérito a la obra, y menos por un libro que fue escrito en una época donde no había tantas posibilidades tecnológicas o técnicas historiografícas y recabar información era más difícil. Because I'm cruel and evil, I'm going to ruin this book for you with a spoiler. The ship sinks, folks. Alongside this, the sheer hubris surrounding the Titanic is extraordinary - not just the asking-for-trouble 'unsinkable' label but the way in which it was blithely accepted that crossing the Atlantic without adequate life-belts and life rafts was totally fine - we might all joke about the burdens of Health & Safety in the workplace but there's clearly a reason for it! A Night to Remember is a 1955 non-fiction book by Walter Lord about the voyage and sinking of the ocean liner RMS Titanic in 1912. The book was very successful, and is still considered a definitive resource about the Titanic. Lord authored a follow-up book, The Night Lives On, in 1986.Street, Sarah (2004). "Questions of Authenticity and Realism in A Night to Remember (1958)". In Bergfelder, Tim; Street, Sarah (eds.). The Titanic in myth and memory: representations in visual and literary culture. London: I.B. Tauris. ISBN 978-1-85043-431-3.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment