276°
Posted 20 hours ago

3 Feet High and Rising

£14.305£28.61Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b Jenkins, Craig (March 7, 2023). "De La Soul's Music Is Here to Stay (For Now)". Vulture . Retrieved March 8, 2023.

Buddy: contains excerpts from "Hit or Miss" written by Odetta Gordon and published by Pookie Tree Publishing Co (ASCAP). Used by permission. All rights reserved. Contains excerpts from "Girl I Think the World About You" written by Thomas McClary, Lionel B. Richie, Jr. and published by Macawrite Music (ASCAP)/Jobete Music Co. Inc. (ASCAP), Brenda Richie Publishing (ASCAP)/Libren Music (ASCAP). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Buddy" contains excerpts from "Hit or Miss" performed by Bo Diddley courtesy of UMG Recordings, Inc. under license from Universal Music Enterprises. Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Buddy" contains excerpts from "Girl I Think the World About You" performed by Commodores, courtesy of UMG Recordings, Inc. under license from Universal Music Enterprises. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

a b "The Art of the Album Cover: De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising by Toby Mott + the Grey Organisation". hypergallery.blogspot.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2013-05-29 . Retrieved 2012-12-04. Dutchcharts.nl – De La Soul – 3 Feet High and Rising" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved November 15, 2021. By the end, Mase and Paul were scratching snippets at a fast and furious rate— Steinski, Syl Johnson, and Eddie Murphy all fly by before Johnny Cash suddenly drops in to give the album its title: “How high’s the water, mama? Three feet high and rising.” The line was taken from a reverb-drenched performance of “Five Feet High and Rising,” a blues in the grand tradition of Mississippi River flood songs. The Magic Number: contains excerpts from "Five Feet High and Rising" written by Johnny Cash and published by Chappell & Co. Inc. (ASCAP).Used by permission. All rights reserved. Contains a sample of "Five Feet and Rising" as performed by Johnny Cash, used courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment. Contains excerpts from "Three Is A Magic Number" written by Robert Dorough and published by American Broadcasting Music Inc. (ASCAP). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "The Magic Number" contains excerpts from "Three Is A Magic Number" performed by Bob Dorough courtesy of Warner Music Group. Used by permission. Contains excerpts from "Funky Drummer" written by James Brown and published by Dynatone Publishing Company (BMI) and Unichappell Music Inc. (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. Contains excerpts from "Funky Drummer" performed by James Brown, courtesy of UMG Recordings, Inc. under license from Univeral Music Enterprises. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Silverman once credited De La Soul as being the group that jumpstarted rap’s “third generation.” The first generation had taken rap from the parks to records, and the second had taken it from records to the arenas. The third reclaimed it for themselves—reinventing traditions and busily making new revolutions. They idolized the energy and accomplishments of the first, while trying to displace the second. The album sounded like a hip-hop version of the novelist Dos Passos’ America, crowded with voices, rhythms, rhymes, and the wit, joy, and pain of becoming aware of one’s power to change the world. And De La Soul felt like the closest hip-hop equivalent to Parliament and Funkadelic: high-concept, hilariously genuine, generously human. Psychedelic, undeniably funky and underpinned by elements of Afro-futurism, De La Soul's landmark 1989 debut LP 3 Feet High and Rising is a defining album of 80s rap, marking the espousal of the 'Daisy Age' spirit which permeated hip-hop at the turn of the 90s.positivity meant many observers labeled them a “hippie” group, based on their declaration of the “D.A.I.S.Y.

An NPR retrospective, published in 2023, stated that 3 Feet High and Rising "reshaped the public imagination of what hip-hop could be", and that it "still sounds wondrous and weird" in the musical landscape of the 2020s. [11] and commercial peak of both parties. Critically, as well as commercially, the album was a success. It contains Playboy Feb. 1989". Robert Christgau. Archived from the original on 3 July 2011 . Retrieved 2011-08-16.Say No Go: contains excerpts from "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" written by Sara Allen, Daryl Hall, John Oates and published by Hot Cha Music Co (BMI)/BMG Platinum Songs (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Say No Go" contains excerpts from "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" performed by Daryl Hall and John Oates courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment. Used by permission. Contains excerpts from "Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)" written by Abril Tilmon and published by Bridgeport Music Inc. (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Say No Go" contains excerpts from "Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms) performed by The Detroit Emeralds courtesy of Westbound Records. Used by permission.

A Little Bit Of Soap: contains excerpts from "A Little Bit of Soap" written by Bert Russell and published by: Sony/ATV Songs, LLC (BMI)/Sloopy II Music/Wren Music Co (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. Contains a sample of "A Little Bit of Soap" as performed by The Exciters, used courtesy of Sony Music Entertainment. Contains excerpts from "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)" written by Ahmet Ertegun, Betty Nelson and published by Unichappell Music. Inc. (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. Featuring samples from the Ben E. King recording "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)". Produced under license from Atlantic Recording Corp., by arrangement with Rhino Entertainment Company, a Warner Music Group Company.

Versions

Transmitting Live From Mars: contains excerpts from "You Showed Me" written by Gene Harold Clark and James Roger McGuinn and published by BMG Platinum Songs (BMI), BMG Bumblebee (BMI), Reservoir Media (BMI), Reservoir One America (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Transmitting Live from Mars" contains excerpts from "You Showed Me" performed by The Turtles courtesy of Concord Music Group. Used by permission. Weisbard, Eric (1995). "De La Soul". In Weisbard, Eric; Marks, Craig (eds.). Spin Alternative Record Guide. Vintage Books. pp.104–105. ISBN 0-679-75574-8. Me Myself And I: contains excerpts from "(Not Just) Knee Deep" written by George Clinton and Philippe Wynn and published by Bridgeport Music Inc. (BMI). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Me Myself and I" contains excerpts from "(Not Just) Knee Deep" performed by Funkadelic courtesy of Warner Music Group. Used by permission. Contains excerpts from "Rapper Dapper Snapper" written by Edwin Birdsong and published by Birdsong Music Pub (ASCAP). Used by permission. All rights reserved. "Me Myself and I" contains excerpts from "Rapper Dapper Snapper" performed by Edwin Birdsong courtesy BMG Rights Management. Used by permission.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment