276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Prince and the Dressmaker

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Show, Don't Tell: Peter and Princess Juliana go on how everybody's taking cues from Lady Crystallia's fashion choices, but there's only one scene showing an unnamed woman wearing a dress similar to Frances' designs. TED Talk “How Fashion Helps Us Express Who We Are and What We Stand For: https://www.ted.com/talks/kaustav_dey_how_fashion_helps_us_express_who_we_are_and_what_we_stand_for

The Prince and the Dressmaker also enjoyed Readers who enjoyed The Prince and the Dressmaker also enjoyed

I think settling somewhere between 3.5-4 stars accurately represents my feelings, but I'll definitely have to work on my rating system for graphic novels in the future!It may not begin with the words “Once upon a time,” but The Prince and the Dressmaker is a fairy tale through and through. From the prince looking for a wife (sort of) to the magical transformations (in a manner of speaking), the story blends elements of a traditional tale with modern ideas and sensibilities in a way that is every bit as charming and cinematic as the animated fairy tales many grew up watching. Perhaps this is a fairy tale that will speak to a new generation. Both Frances and Sebastian feel society expects certain behaviors from them. Make a list of expectations they each face.

The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang | Goodreads The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang | Goodreads

Leave it to such a gifted artist to create this love letter to aesthetic design set against the story of a relationship blossoming between seamstress and prince." — Washington Post, from their "10 Best Graphic Novels of 2018" Towards the end of the book, in Chapter 11, the King tells Frances, “When I first learned the truth, I thought Sebastian’s life would be ruined.But seeing you, I realized everything would be fine.Because someone still loved him.” Describe Frances’ words or actions throughout the story that show her love for Sebastian. Frances es una modista que consigue trabajar para el príncipe Sebastian, que le encanta vestirse por las noches con vestidos y convertirse en lady Cristalia. Este secreto unirá muchísimo a ambos protagonistas, que forjarán una gran amistad.Sebastian’s secret weapon (and best friend) is the brilliant dressmaker Frances—one of only two people who know the truth: sometimes this boy wears dresses. But Frances dreams of greatness, and being someone’s secret weapon means being a secret. Forever. How long can Frances defer her dreams to protect a friend? Jen Wang weaves an exuberantly romantic tale of identity, young love, art, and family. A fairy tale for any age, The Prince and the Dressmaker will steal your heart. Reviewers compared The Prince and the Dressmaker to the tale of " Cinderella", particularly the 1950 Disney film adaptation of the story. Mindy Rhiger, writing for The Comics Journal, described elements of transformation as being present in both stories, and noted that both begin with an invitation to a prince's ball. [5] In the School Library Journal, J. Caleb Mozzacco described the story as a fairytale that rarely feels like one until its happily ever after ending which he described as "about as electric and triumphant a moment in a comic book that I can remember". [4] J. Shapiro of the New York Public Library wrote that the book does not have any explicitly trans characters, but that the need for self-expression by Sebastian might be relatable to those who worry that the world would "shun who they are." [6] Caitlin Chappell of CBR said that the graphic novel captured the romance, scale, and style of Disney films like Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella but had a "queer twist." She described Sebastian as moving between being a boy and girl, finding confidence in the identity of Crystallia, a femme identity, and identified the character as genderqueer. [7] Accolades [ edit ] However, this isn’t the sort of fairy tale where the girl gives up her dream for the handsome prince. Frances isn’t about to stay hidden away and forfeit credit for her work no matter how much she cares for her friend. It is clear that she has come into her own as a designer as much as Sebastian has embraced who he is as a “prince who wears dresses.”

THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER | Kirkus Reviews

Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Sebastian (blonde), his father (brunette), and his mother (redhead) respectively. Lady Crystallia is also a redhead, but Prince Marcel (Juliana's brother) discovers that it's only a wig. Nice to the Waiter: There's one scene where Queen Marie is politely asking Frances to fix a tear in one of her gowns and she goes on to exclaim that she's heard nothing but nice things about Frances from Sebastian. Sebastian is also this to his valet, Emile, who he trusts with his secret (though it's unknown if Sebastian felt comfortable enough to tell him the truth or whether Emile found out by accident as Frances did.)The Prince and the Dressmaker is a fairy tale graphic novel written and illustrated by Jen Wang and released in 2018 by First Second Books. Wang's second graphic novel, The Prince and the Dressmaker tells the story of a Prince Sebastian, who dresses as the glamorous Lady Crystallia by night, and his seamstress Frances, who befriends the prince and hopes to make her mark on the world of fashion.

Il principe e la sarta by Jen Wang | Goodreads Il principe e la sarta by Jen Wang | Goodreads

a b c d e f g Orsini, Lauren (February 12, 2018). " 'The Prince And The Dressmaker' Is A Genderqueer Fairy Tale For All Ages". Forbes. Archived from the original on February 12, 2018 . Retrieved January 16, 2020. It's hard, however, when you're the only one who knows your friend's deepest secret. Obviously, you want to protect your friend, but what if it means having to keep your achievements a secret, too? Everyone knows that Frances is Sebastian's seamstress, but if she started to get acclaim as the dressmaker for Lady Crystallia, it won't take long for people—especially the king and queen—to put two and two together and realize who Lady Crystallia really is. And that would be disastrous for Sebastian. Heroic BSoD: The Sebastian and Frances have a mutual one after Frances decides to leave after she can't deal with being a secret, and Sebastian gets outed while drunk just after he's decided to settle down for a boring Arranged Marriage. He goes off to a monastery to do penance, without telling anyone where he is. Frances finally snaps out of hers when Sebastian comes to see her fashion show and encourages her to use the older designs. Loved, loved, loved! The art style was colorful and cute and atmospheric, which is exactly what I enjoy in a graphic novel. It takes place in late 19th century France, which gives the story a slightly fairytale vibe. The characters were lovable and helped each other become the best versions of themselves. And, of course, my favorite aspect was how respectfully gender identity is discussed.

Whats It Like to Be...a Bee? (Riverstream Science Reading, Level 1)

Everyone Can See It: Heavily implied. King Leo tells Frances that while he was scared of what would happen to Sebastian openly dressing in women's clothing, he decided that everything would be okay "because someone still loved him" giving Frances a furtive look. Clark Kenting: No one seems to recognize Sebastian as Lady Crystallia even though all he wears are wigs, cosmetics, and whatever Pimped-Out Dress Frances whips up. This is possibly a Justified Trope, as Jen Wang came up with the initial idea for the story after watching RuPaul's Drag Race, and there are several drag queens who look unrecognizable compared to their real selves when they're wearing elaborate costumes, wigs, and makeup. How can someone like me marry a princess? What happens if she discovers who I really am? How could I do that to someone's daughter? How could I do that to my parents?" pg. 73 As the final coup de grâce, I just wanted to say that I did not believe Sebastian and Frances were romantically or sexually interested in each other AT ALL, NOT EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST, and that this seemed totally wedged in for no reason. I guess we are ALSO supposed to believe that he is going to marry a commoner and a laborer. HA HA HA HA HA HA. His parents are so understanding! His dad even publicly wore a gown for no reason and with absolutely zero social consequences! There are ABSOLUTELY no obstacles to publicly defying gender norms in 1830s Paris. Gorgeously dense artwork, lively sense of movement, effervescent fashions, sweet romance, and heartwarming denouement." — Booklist, starred review

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment