276°
Posted 20 hours ago

KEF LS50 Wireless II - Active wireless stereo speaker system (Mineral White) | HDMI | Airplay 2 | Bluetooth | Spotify | Tidal

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

They don’t get five stars however because the quality of engineering in the speakers doesn’t extend to the app needed for streaming. When switching on the speakers immediately switch on from standby and start to play in a second or two. After a few more seconds they stop playing and the app opens a red bar asking me to select the speakers in settings. They are already selected and show as such. After a further variable wait they start to play again. I’ve learned that my intervention makes no difference, so I just wait. This can happen a couple of times before they settle down. Reinstalling the app makes no difference and it happens whether I use my phone or iPad. Even beyond the flawless musical performance, LS50 Wireless II is a breeze to set up thanks to the KEF Connect app. It is intuitive to use with any source in your home, and it allows simple over-the-air firmware updates that bring you new and improved features with the minimum of fuss.

LS50 Wireless II is more than a high-performance loudspeaker; it’s the perfect all-in-one speaker system. It reveals every detail of your favourite music, which you stream from any source thanks to wireless compatibility with AirPlay 2, Chromecast and more. You could own these KEFs and have little need for the dedicated app, considering the LS50 Wireless II support AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast and Bluetooth, and are also Roon Ready. Famed for their striking design, balanced sound and complete connectivity, the original KEF LS50 Wireless speakers swept the board. Now featuring new MAT technology for superior sound, a brand-new wireless platform and new KEF Connect app, the LS50 Wireless II is more impressive than ever. As I have been able to write a full and considered review of the passive LS50 Meta, in which I have had the space to go into the driver revisions in some depth, I will not repeat them here. Every improvement that has been made to the passive LS50 is replicated on the active one and they reflect KEF’s near fanatical attention to detail when it comes to the business of driver and cabinet behaviour. Whereas the 150mm driver in the passive Meta makes demands (and considerable demands too) on an external amplifier, the Wireless II brings that power on board and quite a bit of power too. My comments in the passive review that the LS50 benefits from a bit of driving might benefit from the framing that each wireless version has no less than 380 watts of power. This is split with 100 watts allocated to the tweeter and 280 to the mid bass.Feature-wise, the speakers set up very smoothly using an iPhone, and within minutes you are able to stream to these speakers using AirPlay from your phone. It was a great setup experience. I like the touch-panel on the top of the speaker, but it is by no means necessary. The remote works well, but is not quite as well built as the speakers themselves. Sound-wise, these speakers are extremely balanced, with a good depth and soundstage. They are not too warm or too harsh, but sit nicely in the middle. They certainly produce a strong bass but do not go as deep as some speakers, so are pushing you towards adding a subwoofer. They control quite well at higher volumes. There is a good level of detail and presence, and the ultimate test is that I can actually close my eyes and sink into the music. For the money it's good.

At the moment the app has BBC radio stations available. These are occasionally interrupted by messages from the BBC that they will soon not be available. It would be helpful to have heard from KEF whether they will add BBC Sounds to their app or not. Solid all-rounder I'm using these in a smaller room as desktop speakers, and I wasn't sure if I would have enough space for a separate amplifier. In the end I decided on the all-in-one solution to save space.As well as offering the dynamic range to make the most of Hi-Res music, the LS50 Wireless II also supports many associated formats. MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) – as used by TIDAL Masters – is compatible. ROON Endpoint status means it’s compatible with the award-winning music player – including Hi-Res files. I am an old audiophile, brought up on components so heavy, you could only ever live in ground floor accommodation.

You can choose to operate LS50 Wireless II completely wirelessly at 24bit/96kHz resolution for a completely clutter-free set up, or you can connect the two speakers with the supplied cable for 24bit/192kHz resolution sound. Every aspect of LS50 Wireless II has been considered for acoustic benefits and from a design perspective. The low-diffraction, curved baffle is precision modelled around the Uni-Q driver, while eye-catching heat sinks and colour-matched ports are located on the well-equipped rear. The top-mounted control panel is designed to be stylish and functional. There are many wireless stereo speakers on the market, but ‘wireless’ doesn’t always mean what you might think. Just like its competitors, the LS50 Wireless II streams music wirelessly. It also goes one stage further, though, in featuring a wireless connection between the speakers themselves – no umbilical cord required. If you want to improve file resolution from 96 kHz/24 bit to 192 kHz/24 bit, then simply use the supplied interspeaker connection cable. The LS50 Wireless II sound incredibly well balanced, displaying great stereo separation and a wide enough soundstage to truly fill any room with detailed, clarified audio.The soundstage, the grip on the music, Jeff’s vocals bringing tears to my eyes, the depth of bass (no sub-woofer); everything from these two small boxes - really? Yes - really!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment