276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jupiter's Travels

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I asked him what he was going to do with the money he earns from the books. His pension plan? “Not likely!” He replied, and so the other reason for the twinkle in his eyes came to light. The next project he has in hand is The Ted Simon Foundation. When I asked him to explain what it’s all about he pointedly replied, “It’s a way of saving journalism from journalists.” Ted Simon – Interview with Genevieve Helsby https://naxosaudiobooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Ted_Simon_interview.mp3 Raised in London by a German mother and a Romanian father, Ted Simon found himself impelled by an insatiable desire to explore the world. It led him to abandon an early career in chemical engineering to go to Paris where he fell into journalism. But at some point descriptions of dresses that held "breasts up for [his] inspection" and calling a woman a "silly cow" really spoiled my enjoyment of the book. Ever since my original journey I have been learning more about its significance. The idea that I might be making it for others, as well as myself… It seems that when you raise yourself up to achieve something beyond what is needed just to live day by day, the energy you generate has an effect on those around you.”

In those days I played jazz clarinet, and a famous jazz musician gave me a note to a friend of his in Paris who ran a newspaper office. The friend gave me a job as a messenger boy, and that was how I became a journalist. The title of Jupiter’s Travels has its origins in an encounter Ted had at an Indian wedding with a man said to be a clairvoyant and a seer who could read a man’s soul and destiny. This man took Ted’s hand and told the traveller he had a determined soul and mind, before telling him “You are Jupiter”. Somewhat ironically for someone who doesn’t believe in the afterlife, Jupiter is often referred to in Hindu mythology as the guide or teacher of the Gods. Fortunately, I had the book to write, so that kind of saved me in a way because I had to focus on the book, so it was a steadying influence, but in every other respect I was quite wild. And then the book suddenly became very successful and that also kind of threw me off a bit. But I don’t know that I can say anything very quotable about it.” However, when Ted rolled into Egypt early in his journey, he found more pressing matters than road conditions were of concern.We follow him through Europe and into north Africa, retracing his original route. Along the way, he looks for the characters who'd been cast in his first trip; the need for reunions seems great. Unsurprisingly, he finds them either gone or, more often, dead. Sometimes, he finds a link to them, only to learn of lives blighted by misfortune and dreams unfulfilled. The interesting thing to me is how completely different everything that had happened to me in life up until then was from the journey. I mean, there was nothing in my life that would have predicted that I would have anything to do with motorcycles, or that I would want to ride one around the world. It came almost out of nowhere.” Find sources: "Ted Simon"– news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR ( February 2009) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Oh tell me please, how does it go, the triple jump?" She pro nounced it tripee-el She had a way of pleading for things in her Brazilian English to make you understand that they were matters simultaneously of no consequence and of life and death. You could refuse, and nothing would be changed; or you could give, and earn undying gratitude. It was a great gift, which she had won by long effort and sorrow and laughter. It was the humorous residue of cravings which had once been corrosive enough to etch her face.

I had no idea how long it would take, or what sort of an experience it would be. I felt I knew nothing about the world, and the trip was a way for me to see what was going on. In the end, I was gone for four years, and passed through 50 countries. The voyage became the basis of my book, Jupiter’s Travels. His first book, The Chequered Year, or "Grand Prix Year" (U.S. 1972), was an account of the 1970 Formula One season. Jupiter’s Travels – America (excerpt 2) https://naxosaudiobooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Jupiter_America_extract2.mp3 There was a war. I was hoping it would be over by the time I got there, but it wasn’t and it became more and more of a threat as I approached. It did pose a few problems, mainly because of the Egyptians themselves. The populous was all het up about Israeli and Jewish spies and so on. I got arrested twice when I was in Alexandria because people thought I was a spy, but it was dealt with anyway. I was concerned, especially at the frontier because I had a visa that said you could cannot cross the frontier overland into Egypt. I thought they’d shoot me or something like that. But they were actually very nice, they were lovely.” In 2001, I decided to retrace my route from Jupiter’s Travels. I’d been told I would be mad to do it at 70, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Memories of people and places were floating through my mind, and I wanted to see how things had changed. The story of that second journey became the basis of my sixth book, Dreaming of Jupiter.

The choice of word just shows how narrow minded he is and it was not easy to read through paragraphs of him putting down the people around him and lifting himself up as this wonderful hero who is able to drive through Africa and with this tough man imagine. How did I not remember all of that, was I flying with the faeries all those years ago when I first read this, or did I just so admire what he had done that I forgave the last third of the book, or was I less critical 40 years ago. I shall never know. Don't get me wrong I still admire Ted Simon greatly, but pull yourself together man !! We Europeans sold our integrity many years ago for progress, and we have debased the word to mean merely someone who obeys the rules. A chasm of misunderstanding yawns between us." p. 100 I watched her still, exploring the shape of her body. I would have expected a dancer's body to be harder, to show more muscle.” When I eventually came to visit Disneyland, I realized that the ultimate aim, the logical conclusion for Los Angeles, was that it should all become another Disney creation, a completely simulated and totally controlled 'fun environment' in which life was just one long, uninterrupted ride.

Ted’s new book, Jupiter’s Travels In Camera, is a sleek, coffee table sized book and as soon as you see it you know why he’s so proud of it. “Technological advances have allowed something quite special to be produced from my old Kodachrome slides.” However, having heard his comments about his ability with his Pentax cameras, I was keen to see inside it. The quality is spot on and the 300 plus photographs aren’t so over engineered that the sensation of time has been lost. Action has freed me from self-consciousness, and I am becoming a stranger to my own appearance. It is a very satisfying feeling. I no longer think of people seeing me as I see myself in a mirror. Instead I imagine that people can see directly into my soul." p. 77 His books and long distance riding inspired the actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman in their 2004 journey from London to New York on motorcycles ( Long Way Round), during which they arranged to meet Simon in Mongolia.

From the point of view of a Bolivian Indian chewing Coca on the altiplano, I could see that it would already be pretty difficult to distinguish between the two.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment