276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Kashmir Shawl: a sweeping, epic historical WW2 romance novel from the bestselling author of Iris and Ruby

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Natural 100% pure, luxurious and the softest Jacquard Cashmere Scarves self woven with a beautiful mughal paisley design. The subtle woven design renders an eternal elegance to these very luxurious wool Cashmere Scarves. Only the softest and highest quality Cashmere Pashmina wool has been used to weave these most elegant Cashmere scarves. This was a reread for me, I loved it the first time, this time it was like I was reading it for the very first time as I’d forgotten a lot of what happened. Rosie Thomas is one of my favourite authors so it wasn’t difficult to read this again,

The Kashmir Shawl - Historical Novel Society

Valentine's Day is one of the BIGGEST opportunities to tell your sweetheart how much you really love her.

We guarantee that you’ll find the flawless handcrafted designer Kashmir Shawl destined to infuse a whole new dimension of wear-ability to your already tasteful wardrobe. The Kashmir shawl arrived in Europe towards the second half of the 18th century AD, by English and French individuals active in the Indian subcontinent. [1] These officials would gift Kashmir shawls to their wives and other high-status women. [1] Although these shawls later came to be worn exclusively by women, [1] they were originally worn exclusively by men, in line with the Indian practice. [4] There are actually two stories told here, some of it we know but Mair never has all the answers. Mair's Grandmother Nerys and Grandfather Evan are missionaries to India, with WWII going on in 1941, we are about to experience life there. Nerys spends time with Myrtle, and Carolyn, you will enjoy the fun times they make out adversity. Interspersed between chapters about Mair's current day travels, is a much more interesting journey through the same country with Nerys Watkins and her missionary husband, Evan, and her two close friends, Myrtle McMinn and Caroline Bowen. This was the section that really grabbed me and the characters that stood out.

Shawls Kashmir Shawls Silk Scarfs Silk Rugs Luxury Cashmere Shawls Kashmir Shawls Silk Scarfs Silk Rugs

Ron Rash is renowned for his writing about Appalachia, but his latest book, The Caretaker, begins ... Brilliant! The Kashmir Shawl tells the story of three British women living in Srinagar, Kashmir during the second world war. The author has researched minutely both the history and the environment, yet unlike some novels, though integral, this never inhibits the characters or overwhelms the story. The characters are fully rounded and believable, the reader is seemingly effortlessly transported to the paradise that was Srinagar. But as well as the story of Nerys, Myrtle,Carline and Nerys' grand-daughter Mair, this is also the story of Kashmir and its changing fortunes, which are still unresolved over 60 years after Independence. Wikipedia articles incorporating a citation from the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica with Wikisource reference Once Nerys reached Sringar in Kashmir in 1941, she found the days of the Raj in all their glory; houseboats, drinks at The Club and carefree parties. There was intrigue and gossip, excitement and fun, all more than a quiet missionary's wife from rural Wales had ever encountered. Although a little wary of the excesses, she becomes entwined in the life and falls in love with Sringar. A sequence of events ensues that leaves many open ends, and Mair's current day investigations reveal the answers to many unanswered questions - but should she complete the circle and tell those concerned, or keep her peace? Finished this book last night. I'd really been looking forward to reading this for my book club's read this month as its been nominated before and I've heard a lot of praise for it, plus it's rating on Goodreads is quite high. Sadly though, I think I might have missed something!In truth, there aren’t any circumstances too big or small to wear one of our exclusive shawls or scarves and make a dramatic impact – whether it’s at the local coffeehouse or the next big gala event... The basic material for a gubba is milled blanket dyed in plain colour. Embroidery is bold and vivid in designing and done with woollen or cotton threads. Gubbas have more of a folk flavour blankets cut and patched into geometric patterns, with limited, embroidery on joining and open space. It is more like appliqué work. Colours are bright and attractive. They are cheap and used for dewan covering or as floor covering— namdas.

The Kashmir Shawl: A Novel: Thomas, Rosie: 9781468308020

The partners focused on finding artisans willing to make Kani shawls and teach the skill to the next generation. “I’m proud to say that we’ve made progress and today we have a team of 120 weavers,” says Ali. The company has worked with luxury brands such as Hermès and Marie-Hélène de Taillac’s Hot Pink store in Jaipur on their cashmere pieces, and offers a contemporary line made from cashmere and merino wool – but embroideries and Kani weaves are its trademark. Every year Kashmir Loom’s artisans create about 90 to 95 fine Kani shawls, including museum-quality pieces, such as the Sargent shawl. John Singer Sargent, to whom Housego is related, depicted a Kashmiri shawl in several of his paintings. Housego decided to reproduce it – but in true Kashmiri fashion, Kashmir Loom’s Sargent shawl isn’t a simple replica; it’s inspired by the painter’s pastel palette, which inflects its paisley motifs with blue and green hues. Kashmir Loom has a team of 120 weavers who will also teach the skill to the next generation The Kashimir Shawl is a dual-narrative novel, telling the story of modern-day Mair tracing the her grandma’s history, and of said grandma’s life as a missionary’s wife in Kashmir during the Second World War. It’s a light read with a well-paced plot, though it was definitely at its best in the middle. a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u Skarratt, Ben (August 2018). "From India to Europe: The Production of the Kashmir Shawl and the Spread of the Paisley Motif" (PDF). Global History of Capitalism Project. The Kashmir shawl is closely associated with the Paisley shawl. The paisley design, originating in the buta, derives its name from the town of Paisley in Scotland, which became famous in the early 19th century for its imitation Kashmir shawls with the buta motif. [11] After 1850, many English speakers used to refer to any shawl with the buta design, Kashmiri or otherwise, as a Paisley shawl. [11] Missing fundamentals of the craftsmanship, imitations such as the Angola were short-lived. [12] [13] History [ edit ]

Mair too makes a journey to Srinagar with a couple – American Buddhist Karen, her Swiss-born husband Bruno and their young daughter. After learning from a shop-keeper in Leh that the shawl is Kashmiri, she wants to follow it to the place where it was made so many years before. She knows it’s a good quality piece because all the shopkeepers want to know if she’s interested in selling it, but she’s looking for answers, not money. The parallels between the two women journeying to Srinagar seem clear at this stage but we’re being led astray because none of Mair’s companions will complete the journey with her. Mair finds a room on a houseboat, decaying and neglected and a far cry from the one her grandmother shared with Myrtle and Caroline. She continues her pursuit of the source of the shawl, travelling to small villages in search of its makers. The story begins with the death of her father, Mair finds a beautiful Kashmir Shawl among the belongings. She also finds an old envelope with some hair stored in it. Thus begins her quest for answers, and her trip to India. Shawls were also part of the traditional male costume in Kashmir. [ citation needed] They were woven in extremely fine woollen twill, some such as the Orenburg shawl, were even said to be as fine as the Shatoosh. [ citation needed] They could be in one colour only, woven in different colours (called tilikar), ornately woven or embroidered (called ameli). At the same time, there are chapters interspersed that are from Mair's grandmother's (Nerys's) point of view, in the 1940s in India. Rosie Thomas does such a great job unfolding the story gently and evenly across both timelines. I couldn't put down the book! I relished every lush description of scenery across India and reveled in the development of Nerys's friendships with other expats in India. The Kashmir Shawl is a mildly enjoyable book that with some skillful editing could have spared this reader a bit of frustration.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment