276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Demon Dentist

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Don't miss this terrific tale from the West End producers of David Walliams' Gangsta Granny and Billionaire Boy, which were both nominated for an Olivier Award! It's the funniest and most exciting show yet! I was a child a long time ago and my parents would leave 10p under my pillow, which I would immediately spend on sweets, so more teeth would fall out. I still pretended to believe in the Tooth Fairy so I would still get money." Thank yous: A few very impootment* thankingyous*. Firstness*, the greatportant* Tony Ross, for once again bringing my words to life with your fantmazingillicous* illustrawings*. Thankingyou* too to the head of children’s books at HarperCollins, Ann- Janine Murtagh, for all your beliefmentness* in me and my boovels*. The editor Ruth Alltimes must be thankinged * too for her meticuliffilous* editnessment*. Kate Clarke and Elorine Grant, thankingyou both for your incrediment* cover and text designyness*. The publicimitiousness* for this boovel* was organmented* by Sam White and Geraldine Stroud, thankingyou* ladymen*. Thankingyou* too to the desk editor Lily Morgan. Finallingness*, a hugalumptious* thankingyou to my agent Paul Stevens at Independent. You are the bestmentiousness. * Multiple made-up word and phrase ALERTS Oh…” moaned the woman in pleasure. “Your teeth are absolutely abhorrent…” The whole of the lower school laughed at him. All but one kid put their hand up. No one actually enjoyed going to the dentist. At best it was tolerated. The one boy who didn’t put his hand up was too busy texting. Alfie reached his hand in the air as high as he could. “Oh! So many hands. Ha ha!” she laughed, though not in a way that suggested she found it funny. “So how many of you REALLY REALLY REALLY hate going to the dentist…?” incanted Miss Root in that singsong voice of hers. Most of the hands stayed up, and Alfie actually rose out of his chair so his hand would be the highest. This boy was the king of really really really hating going to the dentist. After he had the wrong tooth pulled out, no one in the known universe hated going to the dentist more than Alfie. “Ho ho ho!” said the dentist. “Who on earth says ‘Ho ho ho’?” whispered Alfie to Gabz. “So lame!” replied the little girl. “Well, Mummy is here today to tell you there is absolutely nothing to be scared of…” The words danced in the air as she spoke. If her tone of voice was

I think David Walliams' best books for kids are the ones that are obviously personal to him (and very touching) or funny without trying stupidly hard to be funny, without villains, that are character-driven, that don't aim towards an over-the-top Indiana Jones chase sequence and lose their unique feel. I didn't like the ending again, as with Ratburger. Too much of a chase (after chase after chase) with an ending I didn't want. If that’s what her toothpaste does, thought Alfie, what on earth is in those special sweets of hers…? This is the second time I’m reading ‘Demon Dentist’ by David Walliams & it was as mesmerizing & laugh out loud funny as it was in the past. One of my students chose this title for their book review test & so I had to go through the book again. I know for a fact that she enjoyed the book in spite of not having known Walliams & now is keen on reading all of his titles that are available in India.

Mr Snood

It's the characters around him that I didn't like. Winnie the social worker is very much a stereotype, and her biscuit munching annoying. I was a bit creeped out by Alfie's dad calling him "pup". And by Alfie constantly calling the underused Gabz, his "friend girl" as a "little girl"... She's in secondary school. I didn't understand why the dentist refers to herself as "Mummy" either. What is the purpose of the acidic toothpaste - if the dentist wants teeth and the toothpaste destroys them, what good is that?! David Walliams pokes fun at evolving social cultures such as the boy who misses out on all the action at school because he texts 24/7. Or the drama teacher that thinks the social worker, Winnie, driving a moped throughout the school is part of an improv act. Or Winnie, the social worker, that eats and drinks like a piston with no sensitivity or respect to others. Then there is some toilet bowl humor with farting (that is in the top five next to "poop" and "butt" for kids at my school) along with some terrific scary parts, the need for false teeth, and "witchestry*". A snortingly* fun at the beach book. Okay. I would not make team Walliams made-up word list. Poor Raj, formerly my favourite character is taken out of his lovely corner shop context and put more firmly in the action, only to be "cowering" in every scene.

The dentist is a common phobia amongst children, and the more sensitive might find some of the more nightmarish scenes difficult to take, most notably when Alfie gets all his teeth removed without anaesthetic, his arms and legs held in place with metal cuffs. Yet whilst this book is unlikely to dispel any dentist fears, there's enough humour in the mix to prevent it becoming too terrifying for the majority of young readers. Birmingham stage Company are probably the best theatre company with productions for families and the children were enthralled throughout. This production of Demon Dentist is perfect for all ages and is now my favourite David Walliams story ” Teesdale Mercury A fantastic show for all the family, with fun music, great sets and lovable characters'' ILoveManchester.com The dentist had gripped so hard he had crushed the tooth. It exploded into thousands of tiny fragments inside Alfie’s mouth. With the ordeal finally over, Mr Erstwhile and all his helpers were lying in a tangled heap on the surgery floor. “Well done, everyone!” he announced, as his assistant Miss Prig helped him to his feet. “Oh, that tooth was a stubborn little blighter!” Just then Alfie realised something. He still had toothache. The dentist had taken out the wrong tooth!I think with a book like Demon Dentist, it should be scary but in a safe way. When I ask kids if they found the book scary, they all say no. I want my books to be read for pleasure. Why does Alfie want a tooth from Raj and not from someone at school, many of whom seem to be losing their teeth every day? I saw one friend's (who's a dentist) concern that such book might frighten kids even more when it comes to a question of dentist visit. And children are already scared of dentists (I was and still am to this day!). So how come such book was even published?

Demon Dentist, for me, is even better than Gangsta Granny. It's deceptively dark, gruesome and truly frightening when you deconstruct it. It's about a demon masquerading as a crazy dentist hellbent on ripping every child's entire mouthful of teeth out, leaving disgusting, vile 'gifts' under their pillow as a treat (like badger's paws and bat's wings, for example). I'm not sure how a younger reader would take this book, so it might be best to say it's for older children, maybe 10+. The illustrations are fantastically sinister, with Tony Ross perfectly capturing the grotesque Demon Dentist and her creepy cat, Fang. Book Genre: Adventure, Childrens, Fantasy, Fiction, Horror, Humor, Middle Grade, Novels, Young Adult Except two children – Gabz, who looked on with sadness at the cruelty, and Texting Boy, who was still texting and had missed everything. “Oh dear, oh dear. What is your name, child…?” enquired the dentist. “Alfie, M-M-Miss…” the boy spluttered. “Call me Mummy…” There was no way he was ever going to call anyone that, least of all her. “Alfie what…?” continued Miss Root. “Alfie Griffith.” “Well, young Alfie Griffith, you simply must make an appointment to come and see me at my surgery very soon…” Alfie shuddered at the thought. He had vowed never to go anywhere near another dentist as long as he lived. “Do you like presents, child…?” Strange things are happening in the dead of night. Children who put a tooth under the pillow for the tooth fairy wake to find... a dead slug; a live spider; or hundreds of earwigs creeping beneath their pillow. Evil is at work, but who is behind it? Could it be the Demon Dentist? With poor young Alfie still lying in terror on the dentist’s chair, Mr Erstwhile stepped into his waiting room to request reinforcements. The growing crowd of patients waiting to be seen were all called upon to assist. Young and old, fat and thin, the elderly dentist needed all the help he could get. Nevertheless, even with a lengthy human chain and an army of yankers*, the tooth stayed well and truly put. *Made-up word ALERT By this time poor little Alfie was in great distress. The pain of having his tooth pulled out was a hundred times worse than the toothache. However, Mr Erstwhile was determined to finish what he had started. Sweating profusely, the thirsty dentist took a large swig of mouthwash, and gripped on to the forceps as tightly as he could.The dentist is a really scary witch. Quite a perfect halloweenish witch. And she has a cat named Fang. I just love such evil characters!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment