276°
Posted 20 hours ago

In My Dreams I Hold a Knife: TikTok made me buy it! The breakout dark academia thriller everyone's talking about

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Synopsis: Ten years after graduation, Jessica Miller has planned her triumphant return to elite Duquette University. She’s ready, down to the envious whispers that are sure to follow in her wake. I’ve been so excited about this book for weeks now—next to For Your Own Good by Samantha Downing (another absolute must-read) it might have been my most anticipated thriller of the year. Did it live up to my expectations? Yes, yes, hell yes! But there’s more at stake here than the delicious envy of Jessica’s peers. Not everyone is ready to move on; not everyone can let Heather’s murder go unsolved. In fact, someone has orchestrated the whole weekend to trap the real killer. As the weekend unfolds and they get closer to the truth, the group discovers there was more than murder hidden amongst them on campus. Jessica’s father is not alone in wanting his child to be extraordinary. What are the consequences of placing those kinds of demands on kids? Do you think Jessica is an outlier, or do a lot of otherwise-successful students worry about managing their parents’ expectations?

But not everyone is ready to move on. Not everyone left Duquette ten years ago, and not everyone can let Heather’s murder go unsolved. Someone is determined to trap the real killer, to make the guilty pay. When the six friends are reunited, they will be forced to confront what happened that night–and the years’ worth of secrets each of them would do anything to keep hidden. After my pre-writing, I wrote an extremely meticulous outline, chapter by chapter, where I color-coded the different storylines so I could literally visualize the plots weaving together.The plot is basically every other "dark academia" story out there. Not bad, but definitely nothing special either. I felt no connection to anything that happened and in all honesty, I even considered just flipping to the last chapter multiple times, just to find out what happens and be done with the book faster. I devoted a lot of time to imagining who each character was and how they felt about each other and themselves, so I felt like I knew my characters inside out. By the time I started writing In My Dreams I Hold a Knife, it was almost like they were friends whose stories I’d absorbed. Jessica and Caro argue about the “girl code” when it comes to leaking the sex tape. How do you feel about the girl code? Do you think they violated it? When? s ᴀʙɪʟɪᴛʏ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘ ʜᴇʀ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀs ɪɴ sᴜᴄʜ ᴀ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴅɪᴍᴇɴsɪᴏɴᴀʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛғᴜʟ ᴡᴀʏ, ᴇɴᴀʙʟᴇs ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴀʀᴇ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟʏ ɢʀᴇʏ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴜɴᴄʜ. I think the fact that we can recognize a range of possibilities within ourselves and within one another is the reason we find storytelling so compelling. We want to trace the good in the people we might otherwise call bad, uncover the bad in the people who appear good. We’re all hungry to explore our complexities through book characters, so in that way, I do think they follow the same rules (the interesting ones, at least!). The license book characters have is they get to explore the outer limits of our good and bad tendencies, extremes most of us wouldn’t be able to get away with. So in that way, reading a book is like watching an experiment unfold: What could happen if I leaned into certain possibilities within myself?

Texas Lifestyle Magazine “With her ability to weave multiple, distinct characters into a thoroughly well-crafted mystery that is absolutely full of twists, turns, and surprises, Winstead is without a doubt an author to keep an eager eye on.” Book Genre: Adult, Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Crime, Fiction, Mystery, Mystery Thriller, Suspense, Thriller Deeply drawn characters and masterful storytelling come together to create an addictive and riveting psychological thriller. Put this one at the very top of your 2021 reading list." — Liv Constantine, internationally bestselling author of The Last Mrs. Parrish Main character Jessica Miller is one of the best portrayed flawed, insecure, trying to hard to become someone attract entire spotlight, scaring the hell of being called as nobody. She’s self centered, ambitious, broken, over achiever, competitive, a true self destructive person showing sociopath tendencies. The best thing I discovered in college was that I had access to free counseling. (This is true of grad school, too.) What a gift. Talking to someone else about how you’re feeling is healing.Ten years after graduation, Jessica plans to return in triumph for a class reunion. She has a secure job, but not the one she craved. She has had a beauty makeover, dresses better, and presents herself as more self-assured. She is determined to stand out and make people notice and envy her as never before. I wanted to reread this book as soon as I finished. That feeling almost never happens these days. I could not put this book down and resented when I had to; this book is that good. And that ending! Wow! For a second I wasn’t sure how I felt about it, but then I thought how it made sense with the breadcrumbs that were scattered throughout. I loved it. Obviously. ICYMI: Our Mortal Editions are Exclusive Editions for YA and Adult contemporary books and can include any books that do not fall under the fantasy genre. But not everyone is ready to move on. Not everyone left Duquette ten years ago, and not everyone can let Heather’s murder go unsolved. Someone is determined to trap the real killer, to make the guilty pay. When the six friends are reunited, they will be forced to confront what happened that night—and the years’ worth of secrets each of them would do anything to keep hidden.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment