276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Attack Of The Grey Lantern

£3.19£6.38Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Having spent my formative years going to [nightclubs] Cream in Liverpool and the Hacienda in Manchester, this really ignited my love for dance music, and ‘Egg Shaped Fred’ was one of our early tracks where we’d jam our distorted guitars over drum loops from an AKAI S900 sampler. Inside it says remastered in 2018 by Jon Astley, all I can see written(stamped I meant) on the dead wax is side1:- 237358E1/ A, and side 2:- 237358E2/B with no other tell tale marks or logos anywhere, ok my eyesight is bad but I did this with my 3 x readers on lol ! Attack of the Grey Lantern is the debut album by English alternative rock band Mansun released on 17 February 1997 via Parlophone. This was going to be the big single after the album was released to turn us into a huge pop group, but for some reason or another (everyone has a different story) it wasn’t released and ‘Taxloss’ was put out instead. After we added the strings to the beginning of the track it started to sound like a James Bond theme, so we changed its title to something slightly more humorous.

Panopticon is definitely their best album in my opinion, but the rest of their discography is worth a listen (in particular the almost equally fantastic Oceanic album).Wide Open Space" became a dance anthem after being remixed by DJ and producer Paul Oakenfold under the production alias Perfecto.

Can someone create a new listing for this one please as I care not interfere in official Discogs entries, sorry ? Back in the high days of Britpop, Mansun released an album that sat askew from the pervading happy-go-lucky spirit of the times. I was 15 when I wrote it as I recollect and kept it tucked away and always thought it would make a nice album track, and it did. Well, The Grey Lantern is like a comic-book hero – the album is about this village of people with really disgusting morals and the Grey Lantern sorts them out. Written in the form of a letter from the transvestite vicar to his daughter, it sort of deepens the plot of the album’s narrative a bit before it’s all resolved on the final track, Dark Mavis.It doesn’t make sense in this era of streaming and the resurgence of vinyl, however the idea of this track is to reinforce the idea that the album was a skit of a conceptual record, not in fact one itself, which is obviously a paradox, which my younger self would have thought hilarious. In the US, Mansun enjoyed their only chart success with "Wide Open Space" reaching the modest position of No. We recorded a 32 piece orchestra on this track which we didn’t even use in the end, such was the avarice of the era, you can hear the recording on the outtakes disc. He kept a record of the original vocal that is now being released on the outtakes CD and listening back he was right.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment