276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Angry Weather: Heat Waves, Floods, Storms, and the New Science of Climate Change (World Weather Attribution)

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Waking up late, eating blueberry crepes, watching movies with my family and having something delicious for dinner that I didn’t cook! It hasn’t exactly been the best of times, though, with powerful interests and a lot of money devoted to characterizing the laws of physics as a hoax. Dieses Buch war sprachlich sehr verständlich geschrieben (keine schwurbeligen Formulierungen), hatte an jeder Stelle einen argumentativen Zweck (kein Bullshit), war schnell gelesen (konzise) und überzeugend. We have observed rising global temperatures over the course of the 20th century, and the science advisory committee of Lyndon Johnson’s presidency warned of global warming in 1965.

The United States demonstrates impressively just how successful they were in planting seeds of doubt. Das Problem sind nicht diejenigen, die nichts vom anthropogenen Klimawandel wissen oder ihn leugnen, sondern diejenigen – die überwiegende Mehrheit! Immediacy bias is important to peoples' attention (see my connecting some thoughts from my previous non-fiction read to this book). As newly arrived to Canada (I was born and raised in Mexico) I was also very impressed with the weather here, the drastic seasonal changes and of course, the snow!The quantity and intensity of rain is only increasing as a global average; some places will get more rain, others less. In my family, a trip, a smile, in a sunny day, in the breeze, in a memory, a story, a feeling, a book, a song and so on. Nonetheless it provides great insights into the world of attribution science and the complex issues associated with climate change. Thanks to an ingenious flood system, Oxford was largely spared from floods that winter—unlike the people living farther south. Otto was named one of TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2021 and and as one of the top 10 people who helped shape science in 2021 by the journal Nature.

Or has the river been straightened, meaning that floodplains cannot prevent entire settlements from flooding?

A hurricane stalls over a major coastal city and dumps record amounts of rainfall resulting in extensive flooding, property damage, and deaths. Most of our PDFs are also available to download and we're working on making the final remaining ones downloadable now. Autorka nie przyjmuje pozycji ‚świat się kończy’, ale autentycznie podkreśla w jakim zdarzeniach ekstremalnych zmiany klimatu nie odegrały roli.

This explains why the risk of drought can increase in some parts of the world even though the world as a whole is growing wetter. Spätestens seit Gigerenzer wissen wir doch, dass man sehr aufpassen muss, wenn man über Wahrscheinlichkeiten redet und nicht missverstanden werden will. In other words, the dynamics of when and where it rains change so much that certain regions suddenly receive hardly any rain at all.Not all of them, certainly, but in this book I describe the birth of a new way of doing climate science. Ich find's gut, dass mal jemand außerhalb der Genderliteratur konsequent das Gendersternchen benutzt!

Then there is the work of collecting, modelling and analyzing large amounts of data, both about this particular storm and weather data going as far back as possible, in many cases from 30 to 100 years. What has been harder to assess is the ability to pin a particular extreme weather event on man-made global warming. Wer einen Überblick zum Potential der Extremwetterereignis-Attributions-Forschung erhalten möchte, dabei noch eine spannende Sidestory zum Hurrikan Harvey und allerlei aus der Geschichte der Wetter-, Klima- und Klimawandelforschung lesen möchte, bekommt hier genau das.It’s like a sponge; the larger it is, the more water it can soak up—and when you squeeze it, it releases all this water. Since 1776, the year in which King George III granted James Watt patent number 913 for his steam engine, the Earth’s temperature has increased by around 1 °C (1. The problem starts when we burn huge quantities of fossil fuels, releasing more and more greenhouse gases into the air that are able to absorb more radiation—greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide. We’ve known this for a very long time, with experiments confirming the greenhouse effect conducted by a largely ignored scientist, Eunice Newton Foote, as early as 1856 and fully quantified by Svante Arrhenius 40 years later. The tropics demonstrate this well, as it generally rains much more intensely there than at temperate latitudes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment