276°
Posted 20 hours ago

DEGEN DE13 Wind Up Radio Cranked Solar FM AM SW Emergency Weather Radio Flashlight SOS Alarm Rechargeable Cell Phone for Emergency and Outdoor Use

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The LED lights in the flashlight feature work at low energy levels because they don't rely on bulbs for light My requirements were for a small HF SSB/CW receiver to replace a less than useful ATS-505, it had to be sensitive, selective. Low cost was required (as always) with ease of operation and a good pedigree. Audio quality is excellent. I hate any form of hiss in the audio sections and this radio has non. FM reception is far better than I have heard for a long time and is stereo with headphones. The speaker volume is more than adequate with 65 levels and I have mine set no higher than level 12, at high volumes there is some distortion but my ears hurt by then. Memories (268) store the frequency and mode. Numbering is hexadecimal but 1-100 can be used. Setting them is very easy but I have overwritten a couple by mistake, finger trouble.

The light is very nice. I often listen at night (XYL permitting) and the light works well, switching on when a button is pressed or the tune dial turned, then switching off after approx. 3 seconds (it can be on permanently if mains powered). Regarding the faux analog dial, I kinda like it and don't mind the odd volume control either. I think some people make far too big of a deal about these features. The loose-feeling controls make it feel cheap though (which it is). Frequency entry is easy, OK it's not the traditional telphone type keypad but I really like it. Enter the frequency and press BAND+ for 100kHz - 30MHz or BAND- for 76MHz - 108MHZ. No obscenities, discriminatory, abusive, or other content not suitable in public or for younger readers.You can add to or update/edit your existing review's content including the Rating and Time Owned with the Edit button on the right side of the review text body. Edits will go thru the review Approval process. The only problems I've had with this is that I managed to break some wires on the rotary encoder from taking the case apart one to many times while fitting mods (IF stage shielding, experimenting with different filters etc). Otherwise, its been in the car with me all over the countryside, tossed in the overnight bag into a light aircraft, and never missed a beat for over two years. Reliable - most definitely!

The current set of batteries have lasted a week with 2-3 hours use a day so about 20+ hours using a mixture of speaker and headphones and still going strong so I'm quite happy there. On arrival I was surprised at just how small this radio is, truly portable. It comes with mains adaptor, 4 rechargeable batteries, soft pouch type case, longwire plug in aerial, headphones with volume control, carry strap and english manual. With all those accessories at normal UK prices they would constitute half the price of the radio! Wind-up radio tuners are truly blessings in disguise. These nifty little appliances do not get the recognition they deserve. They're the perfect device for emergency situations such as a power outage, and it's more than ideal for the outdoorsy type — whether that be a hiker, camper, angler, or gardener. Wind-up radios will provide the tunes, news, and entertainment that won't ever run out of juice (well, maybe temporarily — but you just get winding again). Most of what has been described about the DE1103 on eham is accurate. I used three radio receivers as a basis for comparison,i.e. an old Brazilian analogue radio receiver that is a bit big for a portable radio and perfect as a tabletop, the Motoradio PR-M62; the SONY ICF-SW7600G and my tabletop receiver Realistic DX-440. On MW I can receive all the stations I require, I'm not into MW DX so a good range of UK stations during the day and european at night is the extent of my measurements of sensitivity. Again audio quality is great and selectivity very good.

Who invented the wind-up radio?

Sound quality is not DE1103's forte, so it is not a surprise the Motoradio RP-M62 better performance in this regard. Also, RP-M62's AGC is not as agressive as is on more modern models, and in some cases it keeps noise floor very low and increases audio quality immensely. As for as sensitivity, selectivity, spurious and image rejection, the DE1103 exceeds a great deal. The Degen DE13DSP Emergency AM/FM/SW Solar Powered Radio also includes a torch and siren for emergency situations, when you need to gain to attention of emergency services, family, or rescuers.

It's as easy as winding the radio up via the crank on the side of the device for a few minutes, and then voila- you're able to tune into the news and music stations and listen for up to an hour. However, we're not sure you'll find any newfangled digital stations like you'd find on a DAB radio. To bring you comfort, we've carefully curated an edit of the very best wind-up radios of 2023 right here for you: Best wind-up radios at a glance No responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information. The listed offers do not constitute legally binding advertising claims of the merchants. If your new review has not been Approved after several days you can assume that it was found to not be within the product review T's&C's shown below during screening.

Black Friday deals on wind-up radios

Thanks to Trevor, we're now blessed with a simple device that still thrives, and serves countless uses today. What are the advantages of a wind-up radio? I only believed the DE1103 was more sensitive than my old SW7600G after testing and verifying it myself. With its whip antenna, the difference is not difficult to notice. But it is when connected to an external antenna the DE1103's performance is much better compared to SW7600G's. When listening with its built in speaker, sound quality is more or less the same as the 7600G, but when using earphones the 7600G sounds much better. The DE1103 sounds dull and in some occasions not clear. So much so, I had to find a pair of headphones that matched it better. A lot has been written about the volume control not being seperate (you push a button and the tuning dial then control the volume) but I like it, its simple, the AGC kleeps the volume reasonable steady so lots of adustment is not necessary. One thing I like about it is that you benfit of using the large tuning dial rather than a fiddly recessed control. The Degen DE13DSP Emergency AM/FM/SW Solar Powered Radio is the perfect radio to take with you to keep in touch with the outside world whilst camping or bushing walking. The Tecsun DE13DSP Emergency AM/FM/SW Solar Powered Radio includes a inbuilt Solar Panel and Dynamo hand crank charger that allow you to recharge the internal battery or charge any device by USB or mini USB including your mobile phone.

This thing is highly sensitive on HF and darn good on AM and FM BCB too. Sound quality is good. But I think its the low noise floor of this receiver that really makes this receiver shine.Products to be reviewed typically should be tangible ham radio related items such as radios, antennas, towers, test equipment, feedlines, etc. As for sound quality, Realistic DX-440 far exceeds. It even has bass and treble controls and a very good speaker. When you listen to it with earphones, it sounds even better. I only use the DX-440 connected to an external antenna, and to my surprise DE1103's performance is way better, with lower floor noise and better sensitivity. As for selectivity, the old DX-440 is still my favorite(even better than 7600G's).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment