276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cacolatini - Il Vero Gusto Italiano

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In no time we were seated with not just a coffee but a glass of wine and a portion each of the best lasagne ever!

It was/is housed in a Georgian building on Norfolk Row in Sheffield and it oozed elegance from the word go. Once the restaurant got up and running (helped along by an amazing review by the one and only Martin Dawes, Sheffield’s infamous food critic), our family welcomed two new members! WE HAD gathered for pre-dinner bottles of Peroni, just to get us in the mood for our Italian evening, and scrolled a little apprehensively through VeroGusto’s menu. If you know and love food and produce, even a little bit, then you just know when it is made with love and care and passion. The restaurant has won national plaudits and had some very famous celebrity diners (I think this guy was on a summer holiday.

VeroGusto is for most people without big wallets a special occasions type of place which is why, for us, we haven’t been there for a couple of years. I was scared about moving countries (especially because I spoke very little English), but Saverio was so enthusiastic about the whole idea. The food is exactly like that you would hope to discover away from the tourist traps down one of the smarter streets of an Italian city. We even did an all dayer once, starting with morning coffee then lunch, then wine, then cake then dinner and were the last to leave that evening (we’d wisely allowed the next day for recovery). Now that’s what caught my attention because at that point I was going for the duck but was mentally grumbling I’d have to pay extra for spuds.

It’s amazing how three sets of people can be brought together by a place or event, however long it may take or unlikely it seems at the time. Expensive bottles of wine line the back of a long narrow room which once housed the town’s tourist information office but which goes back to Georgian times. that we would like a pre drink in the bar and were met with a stormy look from the waiter who said that there were time issues and if we had wanted a pre dinner drink we should have arrived earlier!IDEAL WITH: Vero Gusto Tomatoes, Datterini with Genoese PDO Basil is ideal with Barilla Spaghetti Grossi No. We had decided to get to Verogusto a little earlier than our table was booked so that we could enjoy a cocktail in the little side bar before our meal. was squid, prawns and courgette flowers in the wispiest of batter, more negligee than Winceyette pyjamas.

She talked of those early days back in 2007 when they’d just opened and things were quiet and they were thinking “another month of this and that’s it”. So immediately the jolly, happy mood we had entered the restaurant with had a cloud put over it with the rude rather aggressive attitude. Tripadvisor gives a Travellers’ Choice award to accommodations, attractions and restaurants that consistently earn great reviews from travellers and are ranked within the top 10% of properties on Tripadvisor.Both were an object lesson in how Italian cooking can make a few excellent ingredients perform to the utmost.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment