276°
Posted 20 hours ago

She’s In CTRL: How women can take back tech – to communicate, investigate, problem-solve, broker deals and protect themselves in a digital world

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We have to face those things and change them with our own power and influence through communication and collaboration. It’s a hard fight, but it’s the good fight. And if you hit a wall, you need to make a door. Top 50 Albums of 2017". Consequence of Sound. Archived from the original on December 1, 2017 . Retrieved November 27, 2017. Some people take up yoga, I took up the Stemettes project. Within eleven months, we were at Downing Street. We were the disruptors in the corner saying that this issue is of national and international importance. But I like sleeping and I had a full-time job.

Talk to a member of staff at the auditorium entrance if you have a disability that means you can’t queue, or you need extra time to take your seat. They can arrange priority entry for you as soon as the doors open. Yomi Adegoke, award-winning journalist, co-author of Slay in Your Lane and Sunday Times Bestselling novel, The List You can also use the external lift near the Artists' Entrance on Southbank Centre Square to reach Mandela Walk, Level 2. In She's In CTRL, computer scientist Dr Anne-Marie Imafidon, a dynamic advocate for women in STEM, calls time on women being cut out of the tech story. Technology is not an unchangeable force, nor the preserve of the elite, she argues. It is in our homes and in our hands. In her powerful book about women, tech and daring to dream, Dr Imafidon shows we have more agency than we think, drawing on her own experience and the stories of other pioneers and innovators who have, against the odds, transformed technology. I’m a doer but I’m not the type of person that puts pressure on myself to be the first or the best. That’s not really the way I live my life. My motivations have obviously changed as I’ve gotten older, but really, I’m just here for a good time. Some might assume you were put under pressure from people around you growing up. It’s interesting to hear you say you were just following what you were good at…The IoT Tech Expo will showcase the most cutting-edge technologies from hundreds of exhibitors and provide insight from over 100+ speakers sharing their unparalleled industry knowledge and real-life experiences. Anything that involves human beings has always been a challenge for me—I’m used to maths algorithms that just work, even when they are difficult. The A.V. Club's 20 best albums of 2017". The A.V. Club. December 7, 2017 . Retrieved December 11, 2017. One thing I think often goes missing in the narrative about getting people into tech, is that you don’t have to be able to code. We need everybody to have their own appreciation or understanding of tech, so that we can collectively make decisions that work for the greater good, rather than making technical decisions, assumptions or prioritizations that are incredibly narrow in scope, experience, perspective, and then demographic. If we only work with the few, it will end up harming the many. Is pushing people and technologies in the right direction about government legislation?

Chris (December 3, 2017). "Gorilla vs. Bear's Albums of 2017". Gorilla vs. Bear . Retrieved December 11, 2017.Online booking for Royal Institution events is run by a third-party service, Eventbrite ( www.eventbrite.co.uk). It is clear that technology is no natural force advancing in whichever direction it pleases, but that it is driven by the very people who create it: overwhelmingly men in the Global North. It is unsurprising, then, that technology tends to reflect their experiences and serve their interests. The efforts of women from within and beyond the sector have drawn attention to this problem: Timnit Gebru, Joy Buolamwini, Caroline Criado Perez, Ellen Pao. This powerful book about women, tech and daring to dream takes inspiration from Dr Imafidon’s own experience and from the stories of other pioneers and innovators who have, against the odds, transformed technology. She’s In CTRL is an inspirational narrative about how women must play a part in ensuring a future that’s evenly distributed. An excerpt from chapter 5 - A Woman’s work

I actually called it ‘a monster’ because it took on a life of its own, and I was going to close it down because it had been a year. But I had people come and tell me their kids were relying on me, so I decided it was time to get funding in and grow it. Why have women and girls typically been excluded from STEM subjects? It’s incredibly important. If you see someone like Yewande Biala (a smart biochemist who went to university early) on Love Island, that helps to normalise women in STEM. That means taking on counterproductive work policies, and the people hiding biases within your workplace who will get in your way. Some folks believe that they can be comfortable with being uncomfortable – ‘I’m never going to know this’ or ‘It’s not for me.’ But the thing is, you can get comfortable moving in a certain direction. You don’t have to move fast, you’re just getting started. Say you develop a health condition and your doctor mentions a treatment – wouldn’t it be great if you could use technology to explore that treatment? You can use technology to connect with others. It could be knitting or cooking or eating, but it could also be to talk about treatment and medicines.

Covid guidelines

Our latest project, the Stemettes Society, is a closed social network for girls, young women and non-binary people under the age of 25 who are interested in STEM. Smith, Danyel (February 8, 2023). "SZA's Ruination Brought Her Everything". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331 . Retrieved February 9, 2023. When technology is so ubiquitous and driving so many decisions that are made across society and a part of the things people use every day, us not having different voices in the room is doing more harm.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment