276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The construction of the lens is really nice, it has a good heft and feel to it. The zoom is nicely dampened and the HSM motor is great. The only small complaint is the Huge plastic ring on the front end that extends out past the body of the lens. When you put the camera down it rests on that plastic piece, I am afraid that it will break. In the short distance focusing category, the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 turns in average performance for this lens class. Also, 10mm is simply REALLY INCREDIBLY wide! This is fantastic if you are in a tight place and want to have much of the space in the image (interior shots -- especially in realty or the sort). However, outside in larger space, this means you are losing detail of your subject simply from covering more area in the field of view. What I love about this lens other than the fact that it's super wide, is the very useful zoom range. If you compare it to a 35mm format, it gives you 15mm at it's widest and 30mm at the tightest. I use the 20mm on the lens when I don't have my prime with me, and the 30mm equivalent for Nikon (32mm for Canon) is perfectly fine if you don't mind the slow aperture that real primes don't have. A large, positive switch on the side of the lens barrel is used for changing the focus mode between auto and manual on Canon and Sigma mount variants.

Sigma EX 10-20mm f/3,5 DC HSM Review - Lensora Sigma EX 10-20mm f/3,5 DC HSM Review - Lensora

If you don't have an ultra-wide angle lens for your APS-C DSLR, definitely get one - they are very useful pieces of kit.

Pictures in our database

I'm not a big fan of Sigma's lens finish (others love it), but the rubber-covered zoom and focus rings consume a significant portion of the lens and are nice to use. Chromatic aberration is a bit higher than in the previous version of the Sigma 10-20mm. While the ƒ/4-5.6 version, wide open at 10mm wasn't bad in the corners, the ƒ/3.5 version is fairly high in the corners (~10/100ths of a percent of frame height) at every aperture setting. Average CA performance is also slightly higher. Both lenses have moderately strong barrel distortion on the wide end, but the f/4-5.6 does not have the wave/mustache shaped distortion the f/3.5 has. I've liked the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens since it became available - it remains one of the best choices. Available for Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Four Thirds mounts with built-in HSM focusing motor, and Pentax and Sony mounts with focus driven from camera body (non-HSM version)

Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM - Review / Test Report Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM - Review / Test Report

The Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens is also a good option - I especially like its extremely wide angles of view. When deciding which focal length range is best for you, consider the lens(es) you already have and how the ultra-wide angle zoom focal length range aligns with it. This ultra wide lens is usable on 1.5-crop DSLRs only. It is the widest rectlinear lens for my D200 -- 10mm vs 12mm resembles a huge difference.Build quality of this lens is really quite good too, although we obviously don't have any way of determining how well the lenses we test will hold up to years of regular use. That said, the Sigma 10-20mm has a pleasant heft to it, with a very solid feel in the hand. The focus and zoom controls operate smoothly, although the zoom ring felt a little stiffer than we personally prefer. - But the zoom also showed zero tendency to "creep" when the camera was pointing straight down or up. All in all, a very nice feel to it for an affordably-priced lens, and autofocus seemed quite fast on our Canon EOS-20D test body. As I said in the review intro, a constant maximum aperture available over the entire range of focal lengths is a great feature. I can honestly say that this lens gets sharper pictures at lower apertures than the newer “faster” sigma. The f3.5 sigma is no good until about f5.6 where the old version is good wide open at f4. It has slightly less distortion (with less wave distortion at 10mm), has slightly sharper corners, is lighter, does not extend, has a smaller filter diameter In this in-depth field review, we are going to have a look at the new Nikon wide-angle DX lens Nikkor 10-20mm f/4.5 – f/5.6 AF-P ED VR, which was launched in June 2017. This lens was announced among two other professional wide-angle lenses (FX Nikkor Fisheye 8-15mm and FX Prime Nikkor 28mm f/1.4). While those bigger brothers raised a lot of expectations for full-frame shooters, the plastic entry-level 10-20mm DX lens hardly caused any excitement. In this review, I will show that this lens deserves the attention of both amateur and semi-professional photographers.

Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM - Digital Cameras, Digital Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM - Digital Cameras, Digital

Earlier in the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM Lens review, I noted that the specific tested lens performs much worse on the left side of the frame than on the right. Landscape photographers are one group that loves to find a close subject and frame it in a striking, vast, in-focus scene Also consider which focal length range you need on the lens that is mounted while using this lens (with no lens change required). And the ultra-wide angle focal length range is very useful - I recommend a lens from this class to be part of all APS-C (1.6x) DSLR camera kits.Shading or "vignetting" never gets real bad at the 10mm end, but then decreases relatively slowly as you stop down or zoom towards 20mm. The worst-case light falloff in the corners is only 0.7 EV, decreasing to just over 0.5 EV one stop down from wide open, for most focal lengths. Geometric distortion is quite interesting, in that the maximum level swings from pretty severe barrel distortion (1.3%) at 10mm to slight pincushion (0.29%) at 12mm, holding more or less constant at that level over the rest of the zoom range. What's really interesting though, is that the geometric distortion is almost entirely restricted to the very corners of the frame, so the average distortion level is actually very(!) low: Along the top and bottom of the frame, and along much of the left and right sides, the image is remarkably rectilinear. Sigma's optical engineers have done a very good job of compensating for distortion in the design of this lens! I waited for this lens and finally entered the world of 10mm wide angle. I instantly fell in love and started using this lens as a walk-around lens. It's range of 10-20mm is much more useful than the Tokina 11-16 and the 3.5 is only marginally slower than the Tokina at 2.8, so I was pretty excited. The two lenses have very similar image quality at identical settings with the f/3.5 being slightly sharper in the mid-wide focal lengths when both are stopped down.

10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA Corporation 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM - SIGMA Corporation

Edit 9-30-09: The lens performed well in the field yielding good color and contrast. Flaring is visible as the lens is tilted towards the sun. I used my baseball cap to shade the lens and would also recommend the lens hood in most situations. At 10mm, sharpness is acceptable at f3.5 in the center and quite soft at the edges. Sharpness at the edges seems fairly good by f4.5. Color fringing is quite evident in high contrast areas near the edges of the image however it was not so bright as to appear in my uncorrected 8x10 prints. Also it was quite easy to reduce the fringing to a non-issue with CA correction using Adobe CS4. Auto focus was accurate.Like the rest of these focal length ranges, The 10-20mm range will complement 18-something mm lenses very nicely. Again, the physical size differences between these lenses are not significant - and all of these lenses have a very nice-to-use size.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment