276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Atlantic Crossing

£2.36£4.72Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Then there is Holland-Dozier-Holland and Sylvia Moy's "This Old Heart of Mine", which includes first signs of disco – "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" was still three years away. Stone Cold" to the cod-funk of "Alright for an Hour" through to the killer ballads "I Don't Want To. When going through Stewart's solo early solo records I'm always wary that maybe this one will be the one in which he abandons his early sound for the money-chasing of his later career.

The new backup musicians, mainly from Muscle Shoals and Memphis, provide the kind of crisp, authoritative, very spare basics that manage to suggest much of the pre-1975 Stewart as well as something completely different. Maybe it's the byproduct of following one of his weakest early efforts, but Rod sounds so rejuvenated here in his first effort for Warners after the disappointing Smiler. Apart from "I Don't Want to Talk About It" and "Sailing", that's pretty much a theme throughout this album. Maybe my ears betray me, but at least one song on the "Slow Side" is faster than one song on the "Fast Side", right? Atlantic Crossing signaled a period of change that would see Stewart changing labels, countries of residence, and musical focus — and ultimately leaving his longtime bandmates behind.With his distinctive raspy singing voice, Stewart is among the best-selling music artists of all time, having sold over 250 million records worldwide. Vote up content that is on-topic, within the rules/guidelines, and will likely stay relevant long-term.

Sadly, metronomic drummer Al Jackson died not long after the track was recorded, the last time the great studio group recorded together and a most apt swan-song it was. Stewart, even in front of thousands, projects an ex-athlete’s warmth, sets up towel-snapping camaraderie among the players and somehow manages to embody both the extroverted, one-of-the-boys hijinks of the macho carouser and the introverted, aw-she’d-probably-never-notice-me-anyway vulnerability of the shyest kid on the block. I don't feel a huge need to skip it, but when you consider how he reinvented "This Old Heart of Mine" so well (into a mellow Soul/light Funk piece) and dropped two of his most iconic covers (I Don't Want to Talk About It" and "Sailing") onto one album it's really not all that special. All the times I've seen this record and scoffed at this record, and it turns out to be Rod's Memphis album.The steel string fingerpicking in I Don't Want to Talk About It, along with the electronic string arrangement and the weeping electric guitar creates a mellow atmosphere.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment