276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 322965 85mm F1.4 DG DN | A For Sony E, Black

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I did notice two pitfalls to this lens—vignetting, and the “onion ring” (bokeh balls with a sort of ovular shape). Handling exotica includes an ‘AF L’ autofocus lock button, ideally positioned to fall under your left thumb, just below the AF/MF focus mode switch.

The virtually complete absence of axial chromatic aberration around edges in front of and behind the point of focus is particularly impressive. Users of Sony’s A7-series of full-frame mirrorless cameras are well catered for when it comes to fast 85mm prime lenses, but where does the Sigma 85mm F1.suffers from a high amount of complex pincushion distortion, a trade off it shares with the Viltrox 1. and you can see the differences especially in the shape of the bokeh balls off-center where they look sort of like cat’s eyes wide open but almost full circles at f/1.

Our only criticism of image quality is that, whereas the 85mm DG HSM is a virtually distortion-free lens, the DN gives noticeable pincushion distortion. Alternatively, you can disengage the lock and adjust your aperture manually using the aperture ring. While the Sony doesn’t seem to have any significant barrel or pincushion distortion, the Sigma does seem to have a pretty significant level of pincushion (just look at the black outlines in our chart), interestingly the built-in lens correction seems to make this go away although this is a new third party lens. If you are looking for an ultimate winner though the Sigma is sharper, brighter, and more contrasty at f/8 in the corners, the center is fairly similar between both lenses.The beauty of third-party manufacturers is that they can provide lenses for all the different brands. Fast continuous shooting, reliable autofocus and great battery life are just three of the most important factors. partly because a zoom lens is more useful for telephoto action, of course, but also partly because big primes with a lot of glass just weren’t that “snappy” to focus on high-speed subjects.

The lens is incredibly well correct for bokeh fringing I haven’t seen such a good performance in any lens I’ve tested so far. Take all that it offers for the money into consideration and there’s no disputing that it’s currently the best value for money premium 85mm f/1. Is the focusing speed and low light attributes of the lenses being compared a function of the camera body in combination with the lens?

Stopped down, vignetting is still a little over 1 EV in the extreme corners, some other 85mm lenses like the 1.

Art lenses which are both are superb lenses but they simply cannot compare to my Otus 85mm or the 55mm. Unlike its predecessor that added over a kilogram to the weight of the camera, often upsetting the balance to the point it made setups feel very front heavy, this is no longer the case.I am an automotive photographer and while I will be using this lens primarily for stationary cars I may sometimes need to shoot them while passing/driving.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment