276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Remains of Elmet

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Remains of Elmet, in fact, is far less simple than Hughes’ published statements about it would have us believe. There is a metaphysical aspect to it which has been almost overlooked; and, as in Cave Birds, it has a transforming alchemical purpose. It also displays as many congruencies of thought and belief between Hughes and Blake as were evident in Cave Birds. It is a sequence not only by virtue of the poems’ common geographical location, but also because of a consistent underlying cosmology and because it represents, as reviewer Richard Murphy perceptively realised at the time of its publication, Hughes’ attempt to “ re–sacralise” the world through poetry 8. social, political, religious and historical matter - a tapestry rich in the personal and poetic investment of a

Downham, Clare (2007). Viking Kings of Britain and Ireland: The Dynasty of Ivarr to A.D. 1014. Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press. p.121. ISBN 978-1903765890. The Library's buildings remain fully open but some services are limited, including access to collection items. We're Most characteristic verse of this English writer for children without sentimentality emphasizes the cunning and savagery of animal life in harsh, sometimes disjunctive lines. a b c Smith, A.H. (1961). The Place-names of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Vol.4. Cambridge University Press. pp.1–3. After the annexation of Elmet, the realm was incorporated into Northumbria on Easter in 627. [5] Its people were known subsequently as the Elmetsæte. They are recorded in the late 7th century Tribal Hidage as the inhabitants of a minor territory of 600 hides. They were the most northerly group recorded in the Tribal Hidage. The Elmetsæte probably continued to reside in West Yorkshire as a distinct Brittonic Celtic group throughout the Anglo-Saxon period and may have colluded with Cadwallon ap Cadfan of Gwynedd when he invaded Northumbria and briefly held the area in 633.I’ve always been interested in our relationship with the land. There is so much of great beauty and historical interest, but when I look at the British Isles I am also angered and saddened by the relentless butchering of our heritage by money-grabbing corporations.

Publication of first co-author book, The Oldest Road, with writer J.R.L. Anderson. Exhibitions from the series toured nationally.Hughes was from Yorkshire , and so my brief was to get up to the Pennines and photograph what I saw fitting and appropriate for his book. The whole project took lots of planning – as does all my work, and we worked reciprocally. He wrote poems to go with my pictures, which in turn gave me new ideas for pictures. The final poem 'The Angel' continues from where Moortown Elegies left off, and where Birthday Letters would later resume, of mourning those close to him in publication through intimate verse — a dream of a terrible angel with a halo of square linen, the same linen that would be the death shroud of his mother.

Towards the end of the 6th century, Elmet came under increasing pressure from the expanding Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Deira and Mercia. Forces from Elmet joined the ill-fated alliance in 590 against the English of Bernicia who had been making massive inroads further to the north. During this war it is thought Elmet’s king Gwallog was killed. The northern alliance collapsed after Urien of Rheged was murdered and a feud broke out between two of its key members. Influenced by Bill Brandt and Paul Strand, she looks for the narrative in her landscapes, choosing to record man’s relationship with the environment. She’s made it her niche.The Life of Cathróe of Metz mentions Loidam Civitatem as the boundary between the Norsemen of Scandinavian York and the Celtic Britons of the Kingdom of Ystrad Clud (Strathclyde). This is thought to suggest that the Kingdom of Elmet may have either regained independence soon after Northumbria's original annexation of it (Bede makes note of the fracturing of Northumbria after Edwin's death) or was either independent or recognised as a distinct entity until at least the 10th-11th centuries. [6] [7] [8] A major battle between Northumbria and Mercia, the Battle of the Winwaed took place in the area in 655, according to Bede, somewhere in the region of Loidis. a b Ian Jeffrey, " Fay Godwin: Photographic chronicler of our changing natural world" (obituary), The Guardian, 31 May 2005. Certainly, the fruits of Hughes’ experience in weaving together several complex themes in a single dramatic and imaginative work could be seen in the balance and unity of this new sequence. The degree to which wholeness and integration were achieved, however, was not only responsible for the favourable public reaction to these poems but also, paradoxically, led even those most aware of Hughes’ ideas and intentions to regard the sequence as little more than a remarkably fine collection of his poems. Few were consciously aware of the deeper thematic aspects which effectively demonstrated Hughes’ increasing ability to express and implement his beliefs and purposes through his work. Few, therefore, saw the importance of this sequence in the further development of his poetic endeavours. One of my earliest jobs was to photograph Ted Hughes, in 1971. I photographed him for a publisher and it all started from there. He suggested I photograph a specific area in the Calder valley, which I did for the next seven years, without seeing him again. He then asked me if I was ready to go ahead as co-author for our book of poems and photographs, Remains of Elmet.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment