276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Gentrification is Inevitable and Other Lies

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

From the forced removal of Indigenous people to the redlining of Black neighbourhoods, from the disenfranchisement of women through suburbanization to the expulsion of the LGBTQ+ community, Kern's writing is a rallying cry for the decolonization of placemaking and a blueprint for an urbanism rooted in social justice and fairness.

After a few chapters, it felt more of a heavy scholarly read, but still interesting enough to keep going. Esta última parte sin duda es la más débil de todas, pues en la mejor de las tradiciones liberales, trata de sumar distintas perspectivas bajo una misma lucha dentro de los marcos del capitalismo. The rest of us are unaware these listings are forcing families onto the street, all while, a disinterested tourist snaps photos of a Steam Clock and then dares to complain about the homeless. Los primeros 8 se dedican a explicar la gentrificación, desmitificar visiones comunes y establecer distintas relaciones que la impulsan.The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. In a local context, I disagreed with some of her assessments of Toronto in particular -- building dense housing is a net good in an expensive city with low housing supply! How can we convince someone a mom-and-pop restaurant is as important as the new eatery with 100 beers on tap? Leslie Kern, author of the best selling Feminist City , travels from Toronto, New York, London, Paris and San Francisco and scrutinises the myth and lies that surround this most urgent urban crisis of our times.

The impact of gentrification on race, class, gender, age, and Indigenous peoples are astutely explored…A first class analysis and tool kit.I don’t think it went into enough depth with most of its sections, but for a text that comes off as introductory, I guess that’s alright? The final chapter explores these three frameworks in depth, offering actionable steps toward a more equitable urbanism that centers such concepts as infrastructures of care, Land Back movements, reparations, and environmental justice. And with incisive clarity, she develops an account of what a radical, intersectional anti-gentrification politics might look like. In my (white, suburban, male) mind, invasive colonial whiteness wasn’t inexorably linked to gentrification, but merely (“ merely”) happenstance due to structural co-incidents. The myths are "Gentrification is Natural", "is about Taste, Money, Class, Physical Displacement", "is a Metaphor", and "is Inevitable".

Gentrification Is Inevitable and Other Lies is a humane analysis of the many contributing and consequential factors of urban takeovers. But I wanted to spend time marinating in these issues, which are often adjacent to other stuff I encounter, but rarely central to it, so I got what I wanted out of the read and do recommend. art is, of course, a part of the solution and my short experience in LATU has shown me that it's constantly playing an important role in struggle.Hard to find anything objectionable in the book, and it corrects some very prevalent misconceptions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment