276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Games Workshop - Citadel Colour Layer: Stormhost Silver (12ml) Paint

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Gunmetal Grey: A neutral dark silver but without the warm tint that Anthrax Metal or GW Leadbelcher has. There are specific chambers and schemes to use to paint your forces, but no one cares about Stormcast chambers in the way people care about space marine chapters. Similarly there are all sorts of specific schemes for the Orruks in AoS, but there is a lot of Iron Warriors but Orks, Raven Guard but Stormcast, going on. This probably isn’t just lazily repurposing marine chapter schemes for AoS but because there are so many marine chapter schemes that coming up with new schemes runs into the Simpsons problem. When Dominion dropped earlier this year, I was hype as hell for the new range of Stormcast. In place of the big fat babymen of AoS’ launch, we had these statuesque spearmen, chariots, and big honkin angel ladies. These models screamed “Ancient Greece” to me, and not just because I’m going through a Greekaboo phase with Goonhammer favorite Hades and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. I also wanted to get away from the typical blue and gold of the Hammers of Sigmar to really make this army my own. White Scar: a bright white color that can be used to add highlights and contrast to the overall color scheme.

Comparing Runefang Steel to Stormhost Silver, Stormhost silver has a much brighter look and effect. SH silver is also less viscous and easier to paint in one smooth layer. Ok, here’s a really fast one. Prime whatever. Basecoat gunmetal / leadbelcher, etc. Drybrush roughly with silver. Apply Dirty Down Rust effect all over, let it dry, and wipe it down with a wet paper towel. When it’s thoroughly dry, apply some more Dirty Down Rust (and verdigris if you want) in dings and recesses. Done. Step 2, sponge the terra cotta on a decent amount of the barricade, focusing on rivets, some flat areas, and low spots.Lastly, it’s time to highlight all the metals. This is the longest part of the process, but the one that makes all those details pop and brings the scheme together. I went with Stormhost Silver, as I wanted to maximize the contrast and definition of these models. Normally I’d do some weathering too, but these models are already so busy that adding scratches and such just seems like it would be too much. The Skrag Brown wash represents built up rust without going too over the top. With this, highlight all the edges with Stormhost Silver instead of just the sharpest points. That extra definition will help distinguish the steel and bronze, but still look unified. Step 5: Once dry, run the barricade under hot water and use a stiff toothbrush to wash the salt off, repealing the ruddy primer underneath. Where I really leaned into the Greek theme was with my red accent color. Blame 300 coming out in my formative years, but I thought going with a Spartan-adjacent theme would really sell the ancient Greek aesthetic. I used a very similar process for the plumes, shoulders, shields and capes here, with the only difference being what wash I used.

I could then move on to the remainder of my airbrush work on his armor. I feel like Helbrecht doesn’t quite have the traditional gold that I’d paint my custodes, Sanguinius, or Sanguinary guard with, instead having more of a brass color. I used Scale 75 Victorian Brass as a fitting basecoat, and decided the paint has enough sheen and there are plenty of crevices for a wash to shade so I didn’t need an airbrushed highlight. Right, so with a new project, I decided to mix it up and try some with a Metallic undercoat and some with Grey Seer Undercoat. After that, I experimented with Contrast Iyanden Yellow versus T aimiya Gold Leaf and Retributor Gold to see what I liked best.For these ones, I painted the gem on the head dress with straight Stormhost Silver and then covered it with Spiritstone Red, the lower gem along with the blue and green gems were painted using the gradient silver method. If I was going to paint them over a single color of silver, I would go with Leadbelcher, since it's a bit darker and adds more depth to the gem. But 9 times out of 10, I'd paint the gradient underneath instead. Iron Hands: The Iron Hands are known for their red and silver color scheme, and Stormhost Silver is the perfect paint for highlighting the silver elements of the armor and weapons.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment