276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Pilgrimage: A Contemporary Quest for Ancient Wisdom

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book was badly written, righteous, condescending, preachy, and worst of all, the ending was morally questionable. Reading, and disliking this, was something of a watershed: a few years earlier and I'd probably have loved it, but as it was, I realised I'd turned into a cynical adult (and I know where I get that from! i would consider this story to fall more along the lines of religious allegory than philosophical text. It is at this point that he determines he has achieved a greater treasure than any he had ever dreamed of, and would go no further. All the fables and stories are stolen from elsewhere, religious ideas and spirituality are badly mixed, and everything is so obvious.

The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho, Alan R. Clarke | Waterstones

Literally every person has a pearl of positive wisdom to share it seems, and it becomes a rapid fire of empowerment quotes that could all go on one of those inspirational posters made for office walls in the 90s.Each has served as a fun way to complement my travels, but I was really looking forward to this read because I had just had a similar experience.

The Pilgrimage - Wikipedia

I remember enormously enjoying this novella back in the day, the wowing feeling sadly gradually diminishing over the years. This is either a beautifully written and fable-like illustration of simple and universal truths or a load of crap. But Coelho never mentions 'Personal Legend' with regard to women, other than to say that Fatima, Santiago's fiance, is 'a part of Santiago's Personal Legend. Together we have walked the Strange Way to Santiago, but while you learned the ways, I learned the meaning of them. As this book is to be taken seriously, I beg to accept my apology if my questions sound like sarcasm.If I was Santiago, I would have never left Fatima in the first place if she truly made me happy, as Santiago claimed she did. The main male characters in the novel have 'Personal Legends' - they are either seeking them, or have achieved them, or have failed to achieve them. whilst this certainly had the potential to be ‘life changing,’ i felt there were many aspects which kept the story from delivering what could have been a meaningful experience. A devotee of Ayn Rand and an agnostic until now, she has finally taken the first step to understand and explore spirituality. The fact that women don't have Personal Legends is even more galling considering the fact that according to Coelho, even minerals such as lead and copper have Personal Legends, allowing them to 'evolve' to something better (ie, gold).

The Pilgrimage - Taliah Aneesah 2 Book Summary: The Pilgrimage - Taliah Aneesah 2

If the statements in quotes above ('personal legend', etc) fascinate you, then you'll enjoy this book. I need to start this review by stating 1) I can't stand self-help books and 2) I'm a feminist (no, I don't hate men- some men are quite awesome, but I am very conscious of women and our place in the world. Biography and associated logos are trademarks of A+E Networks®protected in the US and other countries around the globe. And while I was more or less with it for a while, I just couldn't stay on board with an ending that left me saying, "that's it? This book teach us how to know what we want, how to communicate with the world, how to see things differently and specialy how to fight the good fight.Então, no século XII, um Papa dissera que quem não tivesse forças para ir adiante, bastava atravessar o Portal do Perdão e receberia as mesmas indulgências dos peregrinos que chegavam ao fim do Caminho. I guess what I'm trying to say in this long-winded review, is that this book is all about being selfish and doing what you think will make you happy, regardless of everything else. All religions have over all the years have preached a man “Know thyself, you will find God”, “look within yourself u will find all the answers”, these words are so common but how many of us actually are ready to pause and give it a try.

The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho Travel Book Review: The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho

During the months of March, April, May and June 2006, Paulo Coelho traveled to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella in 1986. I taught them the elementary thing: reading, writing and math and they have taught me how they find their ways with the achievements of men over the centuries. There are a lot of us who either think that it happens to others and then there are others, who are so busy running after the materials that they don’t have time to think about anything, leave alone death. I liked the idea of the universe, the sand, the wind, etc as conscious entities that can collaborate with you.

A única ficção aqui observada são as várias fases da sua prática mística (que desconheço se é ficcional), pois não vão encontrar demónios em forma de um cão preto, não vão ter experiências sobrenaturais, nem vão encontrar uma espada para fazer um “combate”. The person who doesn't know how to listen will never hear the advice that life offers us all the time. Slow initial sales convinced his first publisher to drop the novel, but it went on to become one of the best selling Brazilian books of all time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment