276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Romanov

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This book is three stories in one; first, an intimate look at the Romanovs themselves. Second, the story of the revolution that began with the workers' strikes of 1905 to Lenin's rise to power in 1917. And thirdly and the most heartbreaking part is the personal stories of the peasants, the men and women who struggled to survive in Russia and desperately wanted a better life. I'm now completely fascinated and obsessed with all things Romanov and the fall of Imperial Russia. Crazy shit y'all. CRAZY. A skillfully written account and engaging portrait of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna (1882-1960), younger sister of Tsar Nicholas II. Olga Alexandrovna’s life was no less dramatic than that of her brother, Nicholas II. Daughter, granddaughter, and sister to Russian emperors, Olga – a woman devoid of vanity and imbued with a strong faith – lived a life that could never be replicated. Immersed in the splendors of the Russian court, Olga also suffered through the Russian Revolution, and ultimately left Russia for a life of exile in Denmark and Canada. The Last Grand Duchess is Olga’s memoirs as told to Ian Vorres whose deft presentation of her story is to be applauded. Published in 1965, The Last Grand Duchess not only delves into Olga’s life but that of her family and other historical figures and brings a unique insight into the last Romanovs and Tsar Nicholas II in particular.

After the Romanovs: Russian exiles in Paris between the wars

Andi wrote: "Can anyone help me find this book series. It is historical fiction set in Russia maybe 10 yrs before the revolution, spanning until at least as far as the Romanovs execution. The Romanovs were mino..." A] frank and brilliant study of the various efforts to save the Romanovs that begins, intelligently, with the race to save them from themselves.” SPECTATORWithin that time he would be a witness to one of the most remarkable and tragic events of modern history as a close-knit family was torn apart and executed in the midst of the Revolution. a b "Nicholas II And Family Canonized For 'Passion' ". New York Times. 15 August 2000 . Retrieved 10 December 2008. Steinberg, Mark D. The Fall of the Romanovs: Political Dreams and Personal Struggles in a Time of Revolution (Yale, 1995); with Vladimir M. Khrustalev. Not just a thumpingly good read, but also essentially a story of human fragility and passions, albeit taking place under the intimidating shadow of a massive Stalinist portico." The National In September 1905 Pierre Gilliard entered Tsar Nicholas II’s household as the French tutor of Duchesses Olga Nicolaievna and Tatiana Nicolaievna.

Romanov Royal Martyrs | What Silence Could Not Conceal The Romanov Royal Martyrs | What Silence Could Not Conceal

Translator Helen Azar brings the diaries of the eldest Romanov daughter, Olga, to English for the first time. Covering 12 years of her life, from the time she was 10 until her father abdicated the throne in 1917, her words offer a peek behind the curtain into the world of the Romanovs. Sure, some people might have said I was a seven-year old fibber. But not my parents. Instead of calling my stories "fibs" they called them "imaginative." They encouraged me to put my stories down on paper. I did. And amazingly, once I began writing, I couldn't stop. I filled notebook after notebook with stories, poems, plays. I still have many of those notebooks. They're precious to me because they are a record of my writing life from elementary school on. Over the years, a number of people claimed to be survivors of the ill-fated family. In May 1979, the remains of most of the family and their retainers were found by amateur enthusiasts, who kept the discovery secret until the collapse of the Soviet Union. [169] In July 1991, the bodies of five family members (the Tsar, Tsarina, and three of their daughters) were exhumed. [170] After forensic examination [171] and DNA identification (partly aided by mitochondrial DNA samples from Prince Philip, a great-nephew of Alexandra), [172] the bodies were laid to rest with state honors in the St. Catherine Chapel of the Peter and Paul Cathedral in Saint Petersburg, where most other Russian monarchs since Peter the Great lie. [16] Boris Yeltsin and his wife attended the funeral along with Romanov relations, including Prince Michael of Kent. The Holy Synod opposed the government's decision in February 1998 to bury the remains in the Peter and Paul Fortress, preferring a "symbolic" grave until their authenticity had been resolved. [173] As a result, when they were interred in July 1998, they were referred to by the priest conducting the service as "Christian victims of the Revolution" rather than the imperial family. [174] Patriarch Alexy II, who felt that the Church was sidelined in the investigation, refused to officiate at the burial and banned bishops from taking part in the funeral ceremony. [16] The Russian president Boris Yeltsin described the murder of the royal family as one of the most shameful chapters in Russian history. [175] [161]

Choosing the Best Books on The Romanovs

In at least one place, I wanted Fleming to take things a little further than she did. She goes into the grand duchesses' atrocious, piecemeal education. It was fascinating and new to me, but I was reading it going, "Well, it sounds like Alexandra absorbed the angel in the house mentality while she was living in England." Fleming doesn't bring that up as a possibility, and teens unfamiliar with the concept (I certainly hadn't heard of it when I was in the target age group for this book) won't be able to make the connection themselves. There might be other places she could have given more information than she did, but I'm not overly familiar with Russian history beyond the visuals of Russian Ark. Figes, Orlando (1997). A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891–1924. Penguin Books. p. 638. ISBN 0-19-822862-7. Not really well versed on the subject of the Russian Tzar and his family, I found this book quite interesting, enjoyable and sad.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment