276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Motown: Greatest Hits [VINYL]

£18.23£36.46Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The second phase of Stevie’s career saw him creating some of the most life-affirming Motown songs of the 60s, and this hymn to Ms. Right still lifts the heart. What a voice; what a soul. 31: War (Edwin Starr) Though she possesses pipes that could blow down buildings, Gladys Knight prefers to use them subtly and, from the get-go at Motown, seemed more adult than her contemporaries. This silky 1967 treatise on desire, previously recorded by The Temptations, is one of the best Motown love songs. 42: Still Water (Love) (Four Tops) Smokey Robinson’s group had a nice line in hand-me-down advice songs before he became the king of emotional metaphors, as this miraculous sliver of 1960 R&B testifies. Mama knows best: don’t fall for the first lover you meet. 29: Money (That’s What I Want) (Barrett Strong)

A8 -Four Tops I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) Written-By - Dozier, B Holland. E Holland* B7 -Stevie Wonder Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) Written-By - Garrett*, Hardaway*, Wonder*, Wright* In the mid-60s, Barrett Strong became the lyrical lynchpin for the symphonic songs of Norman Whitfield, but before that he was quite something as a singer-songwriter, delivering this massive monetary smash in 1961, as covered by The Beatles on their With The Beatles album. 28: Please Mr. Postman (The Marvelettes)The Isley Brothers only recorded songs for Motown for a short time, but they made a mighty impact with this pleading Holland–Dozier–Holland gem. It would go on to be covered countless times in the following decades. 52: Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) (Marvin Gaye)

B2 -The Isley Brothers This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) Written-By - Holland, Dozier, Holland Jr.*, Moy* One of the greatest duets ever, this Lionel Richie-penned tune topped the Billboard charts for nine weeks. It’s a perfect marriage of two distinct and talented voices. The movie for which it was written is largely forgotten today, but the song will be remembered forever. 54: It’s a Shame (The Spinners) Selected items are only available for delivery via the Royal Mail 48® service and other items are available for delivery using this service for a charge. Marvin’s third vocal partner, Tammi Terrell, gave him something dazzling to bounce off, and both singers shine on this glorious affirmation of love gone good, laid in 1968. Some emotions remain eternal. 32: I Was Made To Love Her (Stevie Wonder) A2 -The Marvelettes Please Mr. Postman Written-By - Holland*, Gorman*, Dobbins*, Bateman*, Garrett*

An early marker of success for up and coming super-producer Norman Whitfield, this irresistible single was one of just two US Hot 100 entries for a girl group signed to a record company awash with them. Perhaps The Velvelettes needed more attention, or to shout louder – but they surely had talent to spare. 47: There’s A Ghost In My House (R Dean Taylor)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment